IGNORED

Hack'em! / Hangly Man combined :)

Nukey Shay

Another "final" candidate (if there is no problems with the scared monsters). I took all the free memory and put it back into the intermission music...leaving no single bytes of free memory at all. The more things I try to add, the more problems seem to come up...so maybe I should just quit while I'm ahead? :)

hack_em_.zip

Another "final" candidate (if there is no problems with the scared monsters).  I took all the free memory and put it back into the intermission music...leaving no single bytes of free memory at all.  The more things I try to add, the more problems seem to come up...so maybe I should just quit while I'm ahead? :)

Fast/smart. 6th key. No errors to report with the CC2. :D

Any news from the Cuttle Cart ! front?

Fast/smart.  6th key.  No errors to report with the CC2.   :D

Spoke too soon. I've seen one minor screen jump ever second or third game. Also, on the first intermission there is a brief flash of the blue ghost on the left hand side of the screen just as the characters are exiting the right side.

Spoke too soon.  I've seen one minor screen jump ever second or third game.

Damn...I can't seem to get a handle on scared monsters. Time always seems to run out doing that check :(

Also, on the first intermission there is a brief flash of the blue ghost on the left hand side of the screen just as the characters are exiting the right side.

Yup...always been there. I just never got around to fixing it.

Also' date=' on the first intermission there is a brief flash of the blue ghost on the left hand side of the screen just as the characters are exiting the right side.[/quote']

Yup...always been there. I just never got around to fixing it.

Weird that I've never noticed it until tonight.

Tracked down a suspect cause of the monsters going through walls. The patch checking for illegal movements is removed entirely in this build (saving up to 144 cycles each pass). Appears to be working :)

Also, I never did create a changelog for the game...so I figured that I'd put one together. Since what I'd learned when hacking the original (ahem) had played a part in the speedy conversion of this hack, I decided to include the "dark history".

Only the names have been changed...to protect the guilty.

hack_em_.zip

log.zip

Tracked down a suspect cause of the monsters going through walls.  The patch checking for illegal movements is removed entirely in this build (saving up to 144 cycles each pass).  Appears to be working :)

Nope. :( Got one in a horizontal line straight across (in the same plane as the hiding spots) on the first board on my first play. It was at a point that I could eat the monster when energized. I did so and the eyes continued the pattern until the board was cleared.

Anybody getting jitters at all?
A few jitters when I'm chomping near the power pellets/pills... Everything else looks great!

What are you playing on, emulator or hardware? Nobody else seems to be getting any AFAIK :? Do they appear when collecting them, or just near them in general?

Anybody getting jitters at all?
A few jitters when I'm chomping near the power pellets/pills... Everything else looks great!

What are you playing on, emulator or hardware? Nobody else seems to be getting any AFAIK :? Do they appear when collecting them, or just near them in general?

Just played the newest posted version smart/fast up through the 8th key. I am getting NO jitters whatsoever. I would also be interested in knowing wahe hardware / emulator atwwong is playing on.

Anyone seeing a monster get stuck in a wall?

This seems to be fixed (adequately fudged???) again too.

Intermission "sort of" fixed (now it doesn't appear on the opposite corner, but the large player sprite gets chopped in half somehow!  Grrr...)

The player sprite is getting chopped in half at the extreme far right portion of the screen. The "ghost" ghost is gone though.

Just played the newest posted version smart/fast up through the 8th key. I am getting NO jitters whatsoever. I would also be interested in knowing wahe hardware / emulator atwwong is playing on.
Yikes! :? Just trying to help... :sad: I'm using the latest z26 2.13 with x26 frontend 1.112 on WinXPPro, P4 1.7MHz 512Mb ram, Nvidia Geforce2 GTS. This system isn't state of the art but it's far from being slugbait. I can try it with the latest Stella and see if anything happens; I'm not running anything major in the background. The jitters happened near the power pellets, not while munching them, and they didn't happen often.

Yikes!  :? Just trying to help... :sad:

No worries! Just trying to track down the bugs. I'm running the game on a 7800 via a "Cuttle Cart 2". I was mostly interested to know if you were using a 2600 as I haven't had any way to try it on that system yet.

No worries! Just trying to track down the bugs.

Sorry I got too excited. I had to go back to work today from my vacation (poor me... ;) ) so I'm a little bit tired! But I'll definitely try to check on more than one emulator next time; I don't have the resources to burn it to hardware. Cheers! :)

Nono...if you spot any problems whatsoever, feel free to mention them. I'm trying to make sure that this works regardless of what emu or hardware is used (so I've even refrained from using illegal opcodes). Keep it up :thumbsup:

One other bug that showed up is a monster remaining white when an energizer is hit during bluetime. The only time I saw this was when I had hit the energizer after the target in a Hack'em² game. The monsters turned invisible, and when they started flashing...I'd hit an energizer. Just one of the monsters had flashed white - and then remained white for the energizer bluetime. Still trying to track the cause of that one...but I'd only seen it happen that one time.

Problem corrected...I think. This could be demonstrated in the previous version if you get an energizer after getting a fruit...the monsters may remain invisible for the energizer bluetime instead of changing to blue.

I also speeded up the character animation during the intermissions, and changed a couple sprites there.

hack_em_.zip