IGNORED

TRS-80 Holy Grails - Not in the DP Guide

RangerG

With the recent onslaught of CoCo posts :), I am pasting a comment put over on the DP forums:

This message is for all five TRS-80 CoCo fans out there . There are two third-party games not listed in the DP Guide that were available in cart form. The first, Star Blaster by Micro Works, was the first TRS-80 CoCo third-party cart. I have known for some time that it was listed as available in cart form on Curtis Boyle's impressive CoCo game list, but I wasn't sure about it really existing. I contacted the original programmer (J. Kearney) and he was super nice. He sent me a scan of the magazine ad for the cart and some original cart art sketchings and assured me that it was sold. It was the only cart from Micro Works. The game is an Asteroids clone. Second, SpendTooMuchOnAtari on AtariAge bought of Ebay (for $4 - lucky guy) Katerpiller Attack by Tom Mix Software in cart form (a Centipede clone). This was listed on the Boyle list as tape/disc only. Both games are not in the DP guide and are rare cartridges for the CoCo. However, in CoCo collecting rare means hard to find and not neccesarily worth big bucks.

By the way, I collect TRS-80 carts and manuals. I was going for a boxed collection, but 90% of the boxes are either grey cardboard or generic plastic cases and they thus take up too much room. If you have these two carts or others in good condition with manuals, please email me and we can trade for NES or 2600 or $.

Take care,

RG

I think the CoCo fans should hook up with the 2600 Space War fans, I think ya'll have common interests. and both parties would double their membership! ;)

I think there's a user named Yoshi-M over on DP he's one of the few CoCo geeks out there. I don't believe he posts here. :ponder: But it is sad, maybe a blessing is disguise (ie low demand, cheap pricing) in the TRS-80 scene. I've got one TRS-80 cart & manual here now, it's DoubleBack, but it's on eprom, and has a generic label, now somewhat peeling from playing with. It was tested & working when I owned a TRS-80(all 2 days worth) but that was some time back. I've tried ebaying & couldn't sell for $5. Someone emailed me about the non-production label, I thought maybe a late release mailorder, but this guy, I lost track of the email, he said I think they were sold with some systems that way I think.. Now not sure what he said exactly.. :( But he seemed to think not very rare, or saught after either. But the cart's still here, haven't been able to unload yet.. If one was in need of Doubleback I got it! :D

VGA,

I remember that cart. It is actually quite a rare label in that it is most likely a very late sale when you ordered from catalogs in the RadioShack store and got generic text labels. I have seen that mentioned I believe one other place besides your cart. You couldn't get $5 for your rare cart :D. CoCo collecting is fun in the hunt and your main worries are paying for shipping. My avatar at DP is the Dungeons of Daggorath label cover - that was a fun game back then, but it so complicated now that it doesn't hold up well. Many CoCo games never even started out decent :).

great,

now can somebody tell me anything about the tandy multi-pak interface i found for $2? looks sorta like a 2600 game brain for the coco. now if i could just imagine i like 4 coco games enough to use it :P

Be warned that most of these are incompatible with the CoCo 3, due to bus conflicts from a sloppily programmed PAL chip in the MMPI. There are people who sell a replacement chip which is compatible.

I have read an old chip (thanks to buying an old PAL programmer from ebay) and posted the results on comp.sys.tandy, so it should be possible for someone with the right know-how to make their own.

great,

now can somebody tell me anything about the tandy multi-pak interface i found for $2? looks sorta like a 2600 game brain for the coco. now if i could just imagine i like 4 coco games enough to use it :P

Be warned that most of these are incompatible with the CoCo 3, due to bus conflicts from a sloppily programmed PAL chip in the MMPI. There are people who sell a replacement chip which is compatible.

I have read an old chip (thanks to buying an old PAL programmer from ebay) and posted the results on comp.sys.tandy, so it should be possible for someone with the right know-how to make their own.

I had heard that too but I had two coco 3's that I had hooked up to my multi-pak with no problems so who knows. Its a crap shoot.

• 2 weeks later...