IGNORED

Who wants to work on a Homebrew with me

Atari Charles

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to work with one programmer who knows enough about the Atari Programming Language to do a mostly text based and interactive(menues and such) Cartridge for the ATARI 2600. think of an E-BOOK but something that you you watch using your TV and Atari 2600.

Who says you can't pick up women using an Atari 2600?

The topic of the book is women. Pure and simple. I've already given some of my advice(stuff I wish I knew in my 20's) but I have a lot more.

The Programmer would:

--have to know how to program such a book either hacking another game or writing totally new assembly code.

--have the spare time to do this till completion

--Be motivated to do this.

--We would sell the cartridge privately through a decicated website or distributer or we would(if Atari Age accepts) sell it through them. Any profit (after what the distrubutor takes, would be split equally between myself(the writer) and the programmer(you).

Serious programmers should contact me at kuciel at canada.com or PM me.

Here is a link to the original topic:

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p...p=675486#675486

Sure my idea is mad and insane and slightly stupid, but very usefull to the single guy out there. I would do all the writing for it and the programmer would put this on the cart with various ways to read different chapters. Text should take up very little space(I may be wrong).

Ideally, I don't want to hack anyones homebrew as it could create complications and so on.

My dating advice isn't useless as these techniques do work in decerning whether or not a woman likes you and if so, how to be successful in what you want.

I don't doubt that there are very talented programmers on this board, but I need someone who is willing to work on this until it is completed and someone who has the time to do it.

I just don't want to waste time if the programmer has to drop out of the project half-way. And I don't want to start this if it won't be completed as it is a waste of my effort and the programmers effort if either of us quits.

So, PM me if you are seriously interest. I have read the few posts here of people who may be interested(or who may be being sarcastic). But I will take it that your are seriously interested in being the programmer in this project if you email me or PM me.

Its a fine idea, but I think you are going at it backwards. Programming it should be the last thing to worry about. You need to design the simulation on paper first. I am assuming there is some interactive quality to the simulation you want to make. Get a set of index cards and write the text you would want to see on the screen onto each card along with the user interaction choices at the bottom. Each card is numbered, and the interactive choices list the corresponding cards displayed for each users choice. Think of it like hyperlinks on a webpage. If you need to remember a previous choice for later in the game make note of if on the card. Now you can playtest the idea using the physical model and refine it. Once you have something you like on paper, then you can worry about putting it into a cartridge. Also, you can send the card version to the programmer so that they can clearly see what's trying to be done, and not waste any time implementing features that are not needed or desired.

Alternately, you could do all this design work on a word processor or presentation software like Power Point, Keynote or Hypercard.

Oh, and don't pay attention to negative ninnies that don't provide constructive criticism. There is always someone who won't like your idea and will make fun of it because it gives them joy to hurt others.

Cheers!

Oh, and don't pay attention to negative ninnies that don't provide constructive criticism.   There is always someone who won't like your idea and will make fun of it because it gives them joy to hurt others.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever read!

Ahhh... feelin' much better now... ;)

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to work with one programmer who knows enough about the Atari Programming Language to do a mostly text based and interactive(menues and such) Cartridge for the ATARI 2600. think of an E-BOOK but something that you you watch using your TV and Atari 2600.

Before you get too enthusastic about this, you do realize the 2600 has no such thing as a text mode, right? The best you can do horizontally is either 48 pixels of raw graphics, or 13-15 very small (as in 4 pixels wide) characters, and they probably have to be mostly raw graphics too.

David Crane's flicker text from Basic Programming/Steller Track is only 12 characters wide. It looks pretty good though. The flicker isn't that bad if the colors are selected carefully IMO.

My small no-flicker text can do 13 characters (or 13 plus 2 more chars on the side), or with flicker you can do 24 as Christopher Tumber has demostrated.

-paul

• 2 weeks later...