IGNORED

Finishing Midnite Mutants???

Joey Kay

Hey-

I can easily make it to Dr. Evil on Midnite Mutants with the Super Blaster, Necklace, Heart, Cross, Lantern, and Key. However, I just can't kill the guy! Any strategy ideas or help? PLEASE! I need help!

And can anyone recommend a webpage with strategy for Midnite Mutants and/or Scrapyard Dog???

Dr. Evil is possible to defeat (I've done it a few times), but he's really tough. My advice - fill yourself with blood purity, health potions and as many health diamonds as you can (don't let the ghosts sap your life anywhere)before entering his lair. He does tend to shoot in a bit of a pattern so you can predict some of his shots. IIRC, you need to keep shooting at his ears. It's tough but it *CAN* be done. I've beaten him a few times.

quote:

Originally posted by Joey Kay:

Hey-

I can easily make it to Dr. Evil on Midnite Mutants with the Super Blaster, Necklace, Heart, Cross, Lantern, and Key. However, I just can't kill the guy! Any strategy ideas or help? PLEASE! I need help!

And can anyone recommend a webpage with strategy for Midnite Mutants and/or Scrapyard Dog???

As for SCRAPYARD DOG, that's simply a game that requires a lot of practice - particularly in making the lengthy jumps. Timing is everything on some of the later sewer levels.

I liked SCRAPYARD DOG. It wasn't Mario but I found it was a very solid platformer. I hated that ending showdown though! Did anyone ever beat the game? I always made it to the final round with Mr. Big only to lose Scraps to a sawblade!

quote:

can anyone recommend a webpage with strategy for Midnite Mutants and/or Scrapyard Dog???

Try here:

http://www.digitpress.com/archives/arc00049.htm

It is from the pages of www.digitpress.com It a very helpful solution by Al Beckiel and John K. Harvey. Good Luck! It is possible!

John regularly posts here, he might have some additional insights.

Hey there, Joey

Yes, I've actually done it. Back in the day, when I still had summer vacations, I made it my mission to try to finish all of the cool 7800 games. I didn't get through them all, but got the ones that I thought counted (Fatal Run, Scrapyard Dog, Ikari Warriors, Double Dragon, Alien Brigade, and Midnight Mutants). Regrettably, I never finished Karateka (and I'd love to meet anyone who ever did), Meltdown (I got bored too easily), or Planet Smashers (no one will ever finish it).

Anyhoo, here's an excerpt from my famous article from the digital press webpage:

"Dr. Evil (This guy needs some q-tips). To kill Dr. Evil, you must shoot him in the ears when green crap comes out of them. I usually stay on the left, and move right when the head is right, hold down the button and move left, following him and shooting into his left ear. You will probably need to use the extra vial."

You'll have to excuse the horrible comedy, and my use of the word "crap", but I couldn't come up with a more accurate description at the time.

The trick is to strobe back and forth along just in front of his head, from the outside, and shoot him in the ears. If you can be just ahead of his ear movement, you'll usually do ok, because I think most of the green stuff will end up missing you. However, getting hit is an inevitability.

I hope this helps, but don't forget Grampa's infamous advice:

"Set aside your fear... and trash the freak!!!"

I suppose I could pull the cart out again, and look at this once more if you need more assistance. Feel free to let me know if you need more info.

-John K. Harvey

quote:

Originally posted by MarkR_7800Fan:

As for SCRAPYARD DOG, that's simply a game that requires a lot of practice - particularly in making the lengthy jumps. Timing is everything on some of the later sewer levels.

I liked SCRAPYARD DOG. It wasn't Mario but I found it was a very solid platformer. I hated that ending showdown though! Did anyone ever beat the game? I always made it to the final round with Mr. Big only to lose Scraps to a sawblade!

Well, I enjoy Scrapyard Dog as well. I actually originally finished the game (I will leave the showdown a surprise for those who haven't gotten there), and then played it a second time, losing the showdown on purpose. I started to feel morally inept, as I wasn't assisting my ever-increasingly-squirming companion Scraps, and was sitting idly in order to see the silly "bad ending" of a video game. FYI, the ending is only different by one letter of the alphabet, so it's not worth it to see both types of endings!

There is some strategy for Scrapyard (in the sewers, there is usually at least one shortcut for each "impossibly hard" jump, which aren't easy to get to if you don't know which ones they are.

I've always wanted to do a strategy map, but I never could come up with a fitting format (Nintendo Power) would have a full-color layout of a world, with comments in-line explaining where all of the goodies and secrets were. I don't know how to do that. However, I suppose I could use the sections of the sewer land as reference points (section 11, pipe 2). However, I wouldn't know how to do it with regards to the other 2 types of stages.

Also, Bonus stage maps would help, too, as I never have enough time to figure them out, save for the first one.

I'd be up for working on such a project/compendium if anyone knows a good way to do it. I think it would be fun!

But yes, a lot of it is learning the timing correctly. The best strategy, though, is to find where all of the "hit shield" and "extra life" guys are and save all of your money for them. Never use cans on enemies if you can, and jump on them to get cans to recycle for money.

And the ending... well, if you've done things like it before, it's easy. If not, it's probably not so easy.

Whew! It's getting kinda late. I'm going out for a root beer.

-John K. Harvey

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: John K. Harvey ]

"Planet Smashers (no one will ever finish it)."

funny thing: I've never finished SCRAPYARD DOG (I have made it to the showdown many times), but I have defeated PLANET SMASHERS. It had a pretty cool ending: a long story about the aliens regrouping on earth (leading to a plug for ALIEN BRIGADE which, incidently, plugged PLANET SMASHERS in its ending).

It's a shame a lot of 7800 games didn't have decent endings. My two favorites were ALIEN BRIGADE and FATAL RUN.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkR_7800Fan:

"Planet Smashers (no one will ever finish it)."

funny thing: I've never finished SCRAPYARD DOG (I have made it to the showdown many times), but I have defeated PLANET SMASHERS. It had a pretty cool ending: a long story about the aliens regrouping on earth (leading to a plug for ALIEN BRIGADE which, incidently, plugged PLANET SMASHERS in its ending).

I have also completed Planet Smashers on a few occasions. It was interesting how the endings for Planet Smashers and Alien Brigade were set up so that they related to each other. Those two games might be among the first games to ever (in a way) have an in-game advertisement for other video games embedded in their endings!

By the way, I did complete Karateka on the 7800 once, too.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I've never been too good at those NES-style games with endings, but I have finished a few on the 7800...

Somebody mentioned not finishing Meltdown... well, I did and the ending was about as dry as Bea Arthur's _____! (fill in what you feel adequate) Don't waste your time!

And a little off topic, but has anyone ever finished Solaris? I'm curious if there's any attempt at an ending for that cart when you reach Solaris (I've been trying since 1986 when it first came out - I think it's time to admit I can't do it!)

Cheers!

Yes there's an ending, but not much of one. They had to use up all the available memory for the game, and there wasn't much room left. But then again, any 2600 game with an ending is pretty special in my book.

My question is does Road Runner on the 2600 have an ending?

Tempest

quote:

Somebody mentioned not finishing Meltdown... well, I did and the ending was about as dry as Bea Arthur's _____! (fill in what you feel adequate) Don't waste your time!

Cheers!

I did and the ending was about as dry as Bea Arthur's Bologna!

Re: finisheing Planet Smashers,

How do you do it? I always find that when too many asteroids get behind your ship, suddenly the number of ships you have drops to zero. I can manage ok with this, but when I see the next boss, I'm usually toast. It seems like a 9-level battle with one life.

How do you get around this problem? Shoot everything?!? Or is there a secret? I'd love to hear any suggestions.

So, still no Karateka-finishers yet? I've gotten to the enemy with the attacking parrot, but that's it.

Sadly that's supposed to be a hawk. The 7800 version wasn't the greatest...

Speaking of the hawk, can anyone kill it in the 7800 version? I can't seem to hit it like I can in the Apple IIe version. All I do is kick at it and if I time it right he doesn't hit me, but I don't actually him.

I have a prototype of this game, and I tried to play through it to see if there were any differences. I couldn't do it! It sucks that bad!

Tempest

I have beaten both Karateka and Planet Smashers.

Go to my website for some help. (That's why it is there!)

www.bigfishusa.com/7800

The main advice about Planet Smashers I can give you is never die. I know that seems insipid, but if you die, you lose 2 or 3 levels of your gun. Then it is almost impossible to complete. Don't worry about the Earth Shield too much, because if your ship reaches the point where you have the best weapons, you will be tough to stop!

Meltdown is easy, you should try to beat it anyway. The ending is not that lame. It's lame...but not THAT lame. I think the game would be cool if the gun was halfway decent.

Cousin Vinnie