IGNORED

SID player beta version !!!!!

Saint (Swiety)

8) impressive... of course i 1st loaded my all time fave from jeroen cybernoid.... and i am blasted off... :D well done swiety!!!

Ofcourse this sounds impressive. Even the deeper notes still have a nicer sounding than the SID itself. The higly reduced noice (with DMA on), compared to the o. Softsynth is extremely impressive.

so... when the player is finished... what about implementing one SID voice into RMT? just like the SID trackers on atari ST?

This is , once again, one Point that is not understandable to me...

On the left side... there ist the "clean" POKEY chippy support....

On the right... there is the full CPU usage ... useless for games... PCM support.

What the heck is so "heavyweighted"... in putting Softsynth and POKEY Voices together?

Where is the SID-Music-Designer with POKEY HW-optimized functions?

Heck... when using 16 Bit, the resolution is even higher than on SID. When using 15kHz you can do 4 operator modulation for Base-sounds

When using 1,79MHz you can play hires notes in a frequency range, SID never will reach...

One function can be:

1+2 16bit

3+4 16bit

+ 2 channels for PCM

(remember, RMT doesn't support 16bit for music)

When using PCM, it is possible to do a"realtime manipulation" on the generators...

a.s.o.

:twisted:

well... swiety seems to have a "generic" sid player or emulator...so the routines are there... imho next step is combining existing trackers with this routines? and maybe few months later more and more softsynth stuff could be implemented in POKEY trackers?

swiety... are you using the pokey channels or do you just "downmix" the sid core output? if so...then you could leave f.e. 3 channels for "pokey only" and one sid line... but for what? does this makes sense?... maybe for bass lines or main "sid like" voices??? i do not know...

well... swiety seems to have a "generic" sid player or emulator...so the routines are there... imho next step is combining existing trackers with this routines?  

The next step would be to create a full POKEY supporting tracker with a full working emulation running on PC...

if so...then you could leave f.e. 3 channels for "pokey only" and one sid line...  

... for example ;)

When using PCM, forget all about the 8 bit resolution. Build the tracker with one PCM- and 16bit per channel..... or leave one 16bit channel for the main voice at least, using two channels for percussions and FX...

You can download and hear some sids now , its only beta test!

I working about loader and memory relocator - itn not simply work.

I haven't a lot of time.

This is great! Simply great! The Cybernoid track sounds almost exactly like the mod file I have. Good job.

So, is this 8bit PCM and how much CPU time is needed for this?

~C

One function can be:

1+2 16bit

3+4 16bit

+ 2 channels for PCM

(remember, RMT doesn't support 16bit for music)

When using PCM, it is possible to do a"realtime manipulation" on the generators...

Can you do 8-bit PCM if you combine two channels? Or does the combination only affect the frequency?

Thanks,

--C

I've created more files with PSID tunes... :) How I did it? It's very easy:

1. Cut first 2551 bytes from original Saint's file (in SuperPacker)

2. Add header starting at address $4800 and add RUN $8020 block at the end

3. Save file to disk

4. Join player (2551 bytes mentioned above) and music together

5. Change two bytes at offset 1495 ($05d7) to the ending address of PSID - 1, i.e. $4800-$5F8D, then change to offset 1495 to $8C5F.

That's all! ^_^

more_sids.zip

Nice trick, so here's a couple more (of my favourites)...

A couple of problems witnessed in playback though...

1) Sanxion lead voice at the start is missing?

2) Speedball tune plays at a very low volume?

3) If you change the default tune in the PSID section to 2 of 2

(e.g. in Sanxion) then the A800WinPlus emulator crashes.

But great work on Swiety's part!

Regards,

Mark

sidtests.zip

I know , my sid player has o lot of bugs. Its only beta version - tested on some sid only.

I have now a new version of routine - i patched small bug witch ADSR emulation (no retrigerring sid when change contol byte) , and bug when sustain value = 0 - small bug in orginal sid !!! (i check all sid register when songs is playing!!!). That a problem of low volume!!!!

At new version i change PWM control when another bits is set. Its problem on Cybernoid2 song. (some sounds don't hear!!!)

I know , Atari can crashed at some songs - i don't relocate zeropage routine (In version 0.9 i check this and relocate it).

I must check Sanxion second song , maybe at this week i give new version whos play it corectly.

I know , my sid player has o lot of bugs. Its only beta version - tested on some sid only.  

I have now a new version of routine - i patched small bug witch ADSR emulation (no retrigerring sid when change contol byte) , and bug when sustain value = 0 - small bug in orginal sid !!! (i check all sid register when songs is playing!!!). That a problem of low volume!!!!

regardless of the bugs and some minor problems I must admit, that this project is, next to the other ground breaking technologies like G2F and RMT, one of the most exciting pieces of software I have ever seen. This is like the realization of a very old dream back from the 90s when we looked jealously to our c64 neighboors with all their great music and colourful screens they had. Nowadays I find myself an active 8bit atari world with awesome hardware (1mb ram upgrade), amiga-like gfx (g2f) and mindblasting sound (rmt, psid) that even Atari ST and especially c64 Users would jealous of.

I really think you should submit this program to the abbuc programming contest. For me it's already the unofficial winner. In combination with an generic menu-driven sid player to play thousands of high voltage collection-sid's you could raise an 8bit atari equipped with an HDD back to life as a music box for instance in retro-clubs and oldskool parties etc. This is for sure the highest value you can bring to a computer which is almost 25 years old!

Congratulations to that masterpiece of software!

twh

hah - there's irony for you.

I convert copperkaahbaahnah from the ST to the C64 and you folks convert it to the atari again for me :)

and you know what? that tune breaks on SIDplay 2 in windows (the bassline stutters when it shouldn't) but on this player it actually works fine.

I am well impressed by that

Sounds awesome - I am finally setting up my old PC to use with an SIO2PC cable. If all goes well I'll be litening to these tunes on a real 8-bit. Can't wait - thanks a ton for the motivation to finally get this stuff hooked back up!!!

Stephen Anderson

Well, everything is hooked up and working. As a benefit, this machine can use 3X warp speed - my main box had to be slowed down. I cannot believe how fast the Atari can load! I'm not used to booting into SParta DOS in a few seconds.

The SID tunes sound great on real hardware. I just wish I had a PAL system since most of the great demos don't work on my 60Hz NTSC system.

Stephen Anderson

I went to Xray this evening ...and strange things happened...

some of the sids didnt start on Xray's real atari. The mashine simply hanged up.

For instance T01 played well, but Xray's Driver showed us black screen and the purest form of silence.