IGNORED

Help!

FireTiger

Another random theory - maybe the voltage regulator is bad, and the chips aren't getting the proper voltage. That might cause them to malfunction or overheat, and maybe the maria is most susceptible to this.

Those screenshots definitely show that its drawing the screen in high resolution, that's why there's a gap in the landing pad and in the mountain background also. Those graphics are being drawn at the screen location where they should be drawn in low-res, but because of the fact that they're actually being drawn in high-res, the graphics don't take up enough screen space to touch each other.

But ultimately the issue is *why* is it going to high-res mode, and that's anybody's guess I'm afraid.

FireTiger,

I would not worry too much about this problem. I believe it to be in the software. I've played this game on three 7800s, with at least 4 different carts, with the same results. When the 7800 first came out, my friend had one. It was about '87 or so when we became friends, and I first played the 7800 at his house. He had Choplifter! and when it did this, we just turned off the machine, and played something else. Then, about '89-90, I got my 7800 for Christmas. Later that summer, I bought Choplifter!. It did the same thing on that system. Then, around '98 I decided I missed my old 7800 and dug it out of the closet. Unfortunately it no longer worked. So, after doing a little research on the web, I found a computer store in Belleville, Wisconsin that had new, still shrink wrapped, 7800s for $69 dollars! I ordered one, and played my old Choplifter! and it still did it on that brand new machine! Then, later I got a few more copies in package deals on eBay, one two of which were still shrink wrapped (I only opened the one) and it still did it on the new copy! After all this, I decided it's just the software. Could it be the chip in the cart gets hot? Maybe you can take it out of the cart shell, and see if it will work. I don't know a lot about the technical side of these things, so I'm not much of a help. All I know for sure is that I've played it many times, and no matter what it always does it. So, in short it's most likely not you 7800.

Courtney

It has *never* done that on my 'old' atari 7800... just within the first 30 min (usually sooner) on the new one.

(new) SN = A1 (05 in light blue) 5509478

(double stickers there is another sticker underneath, also redone made in sticker)

(old) SN = 72R4BR A3 (85 in blue) 5066694

(single sticker)

FireTiger,

But, if it's doing it on an emulator as well, then I'd say it's the software! I'm just going from what I've seen. Take it for what it's worth.

Personally, I'd care less about Choplifter!. My all time favorite is Xenophobe, and it works fine. So........

Courtney

FireTiger,

But, if it's doing it on an emulator as well, then I'd say it's the software!  I'm just going from what I've seen.  Take it for what it's worth.  

Personally, I'd care less about Choplifter!.  My all time favorite is Xenophobe, and it works fine.  So........

Courtney

But it doesn't happen on any emulator. There was a bug in the emulation that caused a similar problem.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with a standard Choplifter cart on any of my 7800s. I still say it's a hardware issue.

Mitch

How can I tell if its a heat realted issue?

I would try opening the case and blow a fan over the maria chip, or over the whole board if its a big enough fan. Then play the game to see if the problem is fixed or takes longer to happen. If so, heat must be a factor.

ok it can happen in four minutes and anfter the game is over it goes back to normal title screen and seems to try to play normal again.... every time this happens the background is blue in the title screen instead of hunter green... took the 7800 apart, not taking the sheild off...no thanks...cant tell if its a first or second ed, cant see into the hole on the right hand side enough to see if its etched or has a connection.

fan not helping... makes alot of noise though.

I might just switch shells...at least the top.

Hey my old one has "wet/burn" damage on the R/F sheild!?!