IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. on Atari 7800?

7800Lover

3 hours ago, christo930 said:

What I meant was getting super mario bros 1 working on the 7800 would not be that big of a deal.  But getting super mario bros 3 working on the 7800 probably would be a big deal.

Oh I thought someone ported SMB 3 to the 7800 and I missed it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2024 at 7:10 AM, Cris1997XX said:

Guys, did you forget about Super Mario 2- err...Doki Doki Panic? 😂

Which is not to be confused with the original Japanese SMB2 (also subtitled "For Super Players" in the Super Mario Collection release) that we got later as The Lost Levels (as part of Super Mario All-Stars for Super NES), which was merely a continuation of the original 1985 SMB with minor graphic changes and different level layouts and the like. Our SMB2 did eventually make it over into Japan as Super Mario USA.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2024 at 3:39 PM, Defender_2600 said:

A couple of interesting examples with 8-way scrolling on 7800 stock hardware.

Ok, little off topic but ReZolve caught my attention, like the old GTA games with zombies, now i wonder what happened to it... but perhaps i'll be too lazy to check :P

Posted (edited)

If the original Super Mario Bros. had been released on the 7800, my guess is it would have lacked any kind of scrolling, at least until you reach the end of the screen so that it does a brief scroll to the next one, as in the Sharp X1 release of Super Mario Bros. Special.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:09 AM, ColecoFan1981 said:

If the original Super Mario Bros. had been released on the 7800, my guess is it would have lacked any kind of scrolling...

Odd position to take, if someone is familiar with 7800 retail games such as: Choplifter, Desert Falcon, and Scrapyard Dog.

Also, the bonus rounds of Tower Toppler, including the appearance of multiple parallax scrolling layers.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2024 at 2:02 PM, Bakasama said:

I thought SMB2 was a bit of an oddball in the series when compared to the JP version.

Nintendo and Konami seemed to like to do this thing where the sequel to one of their popular NES games would differ substantially from the original in some way, but then the third (and fourth+) game would go back to the roots of the original and retroactively turn the second game into a black sheep. Super Mario Bros. 2, Castlevania II, Zelda II, Metroid II, and Snake's Revenge come to mind.

FWIW SMB2j was fascinating BITD, but the game is bullshit. 😝 

• Like 1