IGNORED

Post your homebrew Vectrex game reviews here!

Jess Ragan

Actually, it should be possible to make a standalone box that turns TCP/IP packets into joystick signals without too many problems. Or, how about a piece of software that runs on your PC, connects your parallel port to the joystick port of the Veccy? ;)

Here's a nice review on I,Cyborg (by George Pelonis) on rec.games.vectrex written by Daniel Foot:

That's a nice review! I haven't gotten very far into the gameplay .. so I've been disappointed. Maybe if I can get beyond the corridors .. I can get to where the game really begins!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I would love to see a nice 'moon-scape' color-bar overlay for vectrex space invaders. or maybe even different overlays to simulate the look of different arcade version. Id pay good $$ for em :-)

~snip~

You might want to try using the Pole Position overlay!

I use it playing YASI and find it very satisfying!

Here's a nice review on I,Cyborg (by George Pelonis) on rec.games.vectrex written by Daniel Foot:

That's a nice review! I haven't gotten very far into the gameplay .. so I've been disappointed. Maybe if I can get beyond the corridors .. I can get to where the game really begins!

I went ahead and ordered a copy. I'll let you know if I get any farther :)

Cheers,

Ben

I went ahead and ordered a copy. I'll let you know if I get any farther :)

Cheers,

Ben

It seems quite a few people can write a review about this game in a while

:D

By the way, nice site. Are you aware your eBen site is not reachable?

• 3 months later...

Don't mind me, just going through a Vectrex search, due to getting back into my Vectrex last year...with my 2600 and 7800 the year before that...maybe in 2006 I'll get back to my Genesis? ;)

I've been having a ball with YASI... it's a really ambitious conversion of Space Invaders, with a simulated raster display that makes the invaders look just like they did in the arcade.  Well, not exactly... there is some flicker due to the heavy workload put on the system, but it's not nearly as bad as I had expected.  The game's got a nice, even pace, too, unlike John Dondzila's Space Invaders conversions which suffered from slowdown.

Actually, the Vec Vaders Remix (aka Vec Vaders The Director's Cut) on Vecmania goes pretty fast. Sure, the 'vaders' are a bunch of vs (which is why they're called "Vec Vaders" ;)), but who cares, it's pretty challenging...probably THE only Space Invader game where you'll actually want your shields to stay onscreen for as long as possible!

That whole compilation's pretty good; each game has at least one glitch on it (a couple are just graphic glitches, like shooting a bird on Birds of Prey on screens 3 and 4 that's right at the edge will have it's explosion wraparound to the other edge, and there's a similar vertical glitch on Patriots), but I keep on going back to it month after month, as I keep on *thinking* I'm tired of it, but since Dondzila made each game tougher than the arcade original, I keep on plugging it in and usually end up playing a game of each per sitting!

I also have Spike Hoppin' (Q-Bert), which is also good, and it's got a hidden game of Vectrepede (Centipede, obviously) as well...another goodie.

Looking to get more homebrews in the future!

• 5 months later...

I managed to buy a Vectrex at OVGE over the weekend. Seemed to be the only one there and I was very excited to see it. I've been looking for one locally for quite a long time. Searching through the forums, I'm thrilled to see how active the homebrew scene is for this particular system. I've emailed Mark at vectrexcarts.com. Hopefully the games I want are currently available.

-S

I managed to buy a Vectrex at OVGE over the weekend. Seemed to be the only one there and I was very excited to see it. I've been looking for one locally for quite a long time. Searching through the forums, I'm thrilled to see how active the homebrew scene is for this particular system. I've emailed Mark at vectrexcarts.com. Hopefully the games I want are currently available.

-S

877660[/snapback]

Go for the VecFlash cart! That will allow you to play all the games even if you are not able to get your hands on the carts themselves!

The VecFlash cart seems to no longer be available

I stopped making them when the supply of cart cases ran dry.

However, with recent events, it appears this could be resolved soon.

I'll stick the PayPal button back on my page when this happens.

Thanks...

Damn. I still need to buy a VecFlash too... would probably be willing to buy one caseless, or in an Intv case, and then move it to a Vec case later when they are available again. That's certainly better than not having the VecFlash. I've been coding some stuff up and it's just not right doing it with only an emu.

I'd be more than happy to buy one without a case

I don't sell them without a case, mainly because you can't just drop the PCB straight in (the case needs drilling and adapting quite a bit).

Some guy's have been sending me cases from original games which I've used to case their VecFlash's, but I don't particularly like the fact that a game has to die :sad:

I'm 100% certain that I can do the required mods to an INTV case in order to make it fit. I'm also willing to state here publicly that I won't hold you resposible for any damage that I might do to the PCB.

Edit: I'd also be willing to send you an empty case if that's the only way you'll sell it to me, but I feel it's only fair to let you know that as soon as I get it back I'll put the original game back in it's case and adapt an INTV case to fit the VecFlash.

-S

Edited by Stingray

I'm 100% certain that I can do the required mods to an INTV case in order to make it fit. I'm also willing to state here publicly that I won't hold you resposible for any damage that I might do to the PCB.

I've just opened up one of John Dondzilas modded INTV cases and my VecFlash to see if this is possible. Well, it would fit but the VecFlash PCB is bigger than a normal cart PCB and it doesn't have the screw holes. The two posts would have to be cut away and there'd be nothing to hold the board in place. Also the VecFlash has the socket for the serial connection which would end up 1/2 inch or so inside the sloped end of the cart. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I wouldn't be 100% confident.

Edit: I'd also be willing to send you an empty case if that's the only way you'll sell it to me, but I feel it's only fair to let you know that as soon as I get it back I'll put the original game back in it's case and adapt an INTV case to fit the VecFlash.

You do realise that Richard has to hack out some of the posts in the cart shell so it might not hold the original PCB in place any more?

Personally, I would be fairly happy to use a bare VecFlash. My main concern would be causing damage by ESD while handling it. Also, I'm not sure how well it would hold good contact with the cart socket with the weight of the serial cable on the other end.

Anyway, as I understand it, Mark Shaker has seen Sean Kelly and 1000 cart shells are now being made, so there should be a supply again soon.