IGNORED

Why are you a jaguar fan?

sega saturn x

Thanks punisher i guessits lets make fun of the guy who dosent know how the jag works day. Any way ive been looking at alot of screen shots and sutch for the jag and i have to say some of the games look great and i wonder if it didnt die as fast as it did what it could have done. I still think that about the saturn.

I became one when I wanted to get my Aliens VS Predator (and regular Aliens and Predator games and movies and books and comics) Fanboy hands on Alien VS Predator. Why? Because the 2nd game I gotten for PSX was Alien Trilogy and Alien VS Predator looked the same only much much smoother and I had to have it. Then I looked at the other games then shortly got Doom (best version Ive played) and some not so good others. I just love because the controller is different and comfy (except the D-Pad) and I LOVED the overlay sheets. Pure genius (like the VMU for DC) then I got a CD add-on for it (50 bucks ebay no cords untested but worked) then I got Baldies for it (4 bucks NIB) Plus theres the good people who make some good games for it and come on its Atari.

PS yet to get Temptest

Hi !

Then Atari thought they could really trump the competition by skipping a generation and releasing a 64 bit processor.  Which the Jag has.  It can handle a 64 bit math operation, which means underneath it all, it is a 64 bit system.

64-bit math ?! Maybe I am confusing something, but what processor are you refering to ?

The GPU for example can multiply and divide two 16-bit values to get a 32-bit result.

The only 64-bit instructions the GPU can do, are loadp and storep, as far as I know. With other words reading and writing 64-bits of memory.

Regards, Lars.

Hi !

Then Atari thought they could really trump the competition by skipping a generation and releasing a 64 bit processor.  Which the Jag has.  It can handle a 64 bit math operation, which means underneath it all, it is a 64 bit system.

64-bit math ?! Maybe I am confusing something, but what processor are you refering to ?

The GPU for example can multiply and divide two 16-bit values to get a 32-bit result.

The only 64-bit instructions the GPU can do, are loadp and storep, as far as I know. With other words reading and writing 64-bits of memory.

Exactly. Sorry, I was dumbing down the idea of it a bit for the purposes of that post. ;)

I got a jaguar a few months ago and I've qiuckly become a huge fan. It's just a great system. It has a bunch of games I love. Something good in just about every catagory, and most of it's best titles are still exclusive. It's the most unique game system I own, it was way ahead of it's time. I even like the huge controllers and pad overlays. I got a jaguar only recently, and it sits next to my gamecube and xbox. It might not compare to the current systems in graphics, but it's games are still fun to play, even compared to the newest stuff and I think that's the best sign of how good the jaguar really is.

Im mostly a Jaggy fan because Im a programmer, and I really like the Jaguar hardware. When creating things, I like to push the limits, if modifying a game engine or writing code on rather limited hardware, I love to push the limits of what is possible. The Jaguar, while a very powerful system for its time, it was never pushed all that hard, so there is a lot of room to (hopefully) impress a lot of people, and to really push peoples expectations of what a Jaguar is really capable of. Its not all about impressing people tho, I really do like the chalenge of Jaguar coding, and working out ways to do things with its rather odd collection of processors and abilities.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to remember why I bought the Jaguar to begin with. It was 1999, I was trying out all things Atari.

I had already worked with the Atari 400/800 and was ready to get back into that, but I was told about other Atari items.

I was given a Atari ST from the local Atari club on borrow and worked with the desktop publishing software. That was fun.

Then I picked up a Lynx. Not bad.

And then on a fly I searched the Dallas area and found a Jaguar at a Kaybee toy store for $30. I went and bought it, and played Cybermorph... and hated it!! :) "Avoid the ground!" , "Where did you learn to fly" AArrrggg!!

Picked up Bubsy, and had a blast. Then I got a copy of Aliens vs Predator, and was disappointed at first, and then it grew on me. Tempest 2000 was the next game I believe, and that took a while to grow on me.

I think the Jaguar was one of those systems that I enjoyed but always said "And what else?" Then one day I looked back and realized there were some fun games for the Jag.

I guess when I got the Jag, I wanted to relive the fun I had of playing and collecting the 2600, only with improved graphics. And I think it turned out much like that. It is my current 2600. ;)

Doc Clu

Picked up Bubsy, and had a blast.  Then I got a copy of Aliens vs Predator, and was disappointed at first, and then it grew on me.  Tempest 2000 was the next game I believe, and that took a while to grow on me.

So let me get this straight-- you had a blast with Bubsy (Bubsy?!), but AvP and Tempest had to grow on you?

Are you sure this isn't Bizarro Clu posting?

Well...Back when the Jag came out is when I first became a big video game nut. I was about 12 back in 1994 and subscibed to a few gaming mag's a month! And read them cover to cover. A couple of my friends bought Jag's and had games like Doom, Tempest 2000, and AvP. Those 3 games really turned me into a Jag fan. I played those 3 games a TON..never got tired of any of em. Plus it wasn't that expensive..the Jag that is.

i got hooked on the jag back in 93 when a friend of mine (who used to have lots of tips´n´tricks and walktroughs published in german "power play" magazine) bought it - it must´ve been one of the very first systems sold in germany. we played cybermorph till our eyes bled.

later, he bought avp, wolfenstein (which i knew from the pc and still like better on the pc) and tempest, and these really made me love the jag. when the playstation came out he swapped systems instantly, which was good (i LOVE wipeout!!!) and bad (wheres avp????) at the same time

i forgot about the jag until i ran across one (manymany years later) and remembered about avp- i had to get it!

since then, i enjoy owning a jaguar (i even like the name of it... jaguar....) and occasionally playing it (not everyday.. time is precious)

plus, i guess i like the kind of "underdog"-flavor that the jag has.... nobody of my friends (besides flo) has ever seen one before!

"But BUBSY!? AVP and Temptest where the only reason ppl bought the jag. AVP's frame rate is sluggish and Tempest is good with a roto controller yes I understand but Bubsy!?"

Oh yeh.. now that was a fun game. Perhaps it was the color, the humor, and for me, the way my friend's kids loved it. I must have played that game for years with them watching. It was awesome seeing them laugh when Bubsy tapped on the screen. :) It was great having them help me with sound effects as he would go through the doors and be transported to another part of the level. Sigh... Sometimes we still play Battlesphere together.

They tried Bubsy, but they said it was too hard. The first video game they ever played was Tempest 2000 BTW. :)

Yeh the Jag is a blast.

That bit about Wolfenstein... I have to agree about the PC or Mac version being better. What is up with not being able to just use a knife on your opponents!!!? I hated that part.

Doctor Clu

I'm still on the fence in regards to my Jag. I wanted one back in the day because I'm old and to many of us old guys Atari was videogames. I couldn't afford one back then and by the time the prices dropped, I had bought another system.

I finally got one and a few games. I like the ones most people like(Tempest, AVP, Iron Soldier) but many of the games I've played are really bad. Bordering on completely unplayable to me. That's why I'm sort of a fan and sort of not a fan. Nothing I've played so far has really knocked my socks off, but I've only explored a small part of the library.

Finally got to view it. It was in some funky Divx format. After much downloading got it to work.

Yeh, looks like it would have been cool. Though granted, Panzier Dragon and Spyro along with a multitude of others would have been pre-emted by this one.

Me personally, there was a commercial that had 3D animation advertising Joust for the 2600. It would be awesome if THAT style could be used. It was really awesome.

Doctor Clu

But BUBSY!? AVP and Temptest where the only reason ppl bought the jag.

Clearly those two games aren't the only reason people bought a Jaguar. Personally I prefer Bubsy over both of the games that you mention. In my opinion AVP is just another FPS, a genre in which I have zero interest. Tempest 2000 is pretty neat, but since I don't have any type of rotary controller for my Jag, I prefer to play the arcade version of Tempest on my MAME cab with a real arcade spinner.

-S