IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Risk Prototype Discovered

Albert

800Risk.gifMatt Reichert of AtariProtos.com has discovered a prototype for the Atari 8-bit version of Risk that was in development by Parker Brothers, but never released. The game, based on the popular board game of the same name, was programmed by Steve Kranish (who also programmed Frogger for the 5200) and is about 85% complete. The game even appeared in a Parker Brothers catalog, with versions promised for the Atari 8-bit computers and 5200. Matt is working on getting permission to release the ROM, so with any luck we'll all be able to try it soon through emulation. You can read Matt's full review of the prototype in the new Atari 8-bit section at AtariProtos.com.

Wow! Risk is a great game and it sure would be fun to play on an Atari. Four players on a 4 port 5200 - and this way when your friend loses he won't tip the board! The review was well-written. Could this be finished up? It would be nice to finish in the world outline, and how much of the computer AI is missing? I wonder how long gametime would be? So - how does Tempest always "discover" these prototypes :).

Thanks for the news!

RG

The review was well-written. Could this be finished up? It would be nice to finish in the world outline

Well I've actually been talking to the programmer about just that. He want's to finish the map, but he didn't know if there was enough interest (I assured him there was). I'll let everyone know what happens.

how much of the computer AI is missing?

100%. It was never implimented. The game seems permently set up to 3 players.

So - how does Tempest always "discover" these prototypes

This one falls under the 'Dumb Luck' category. The programmer had contacted me about another game, and we got to talking about other games he had done.

Tempest

Tempest -

Great find!! Please assure Mr. Kranish that the interest level for a completed Risk for the Atari 8-bit and 5200 would be huge (at least from me!!). Great write-up on your prototype page - it sounds like the game is almost complete. I think the addition of the map, computer AI and some bells and whistles and this is a winner!!!

Thanks again for the info.

Here's another request for Mr. Kranish to finsh his game. Maybe he could have AtariAge release it with a nice label and manual. Of course he'd probably would have to change the title. The title was no big deal anyways since it was an acrynym for the designer's (I think it was the designer) four children.

Allan

post-187-1095938885.jpg

I played through the game once, just to see if it was indeed winable. It's fun, but without the map it's kind of hard to tell what's going on (unless you can remember if Siam can attack Indoneasia off the top of your head). Hopefully someone can hack in a computer AI when the rom gets released (I'll have to ask Steve if he has any notes on what they were planning).

Tempest

I am sure that Risk and Atari combine two good childhood memories for many people here. Tempest - I wonder how long it would take to play the game? Risk can take up to 3 hours to all night, but it seems like this might speed it up. Let the programmer know everyone appreciates the work being proposed.

Yeah, the Macintosh version of Risk (in all its black and white glory) was VERY fun! You could have up to 6 players, set the computer to "passive" mode (they wouldn't attack you until you attacked them) or other strategies. The Mac version also used the cards.

I, too, would love to see AT LEAST the map graphic completed for this game! And, as someone said, having the ability of playing up to four players would be great (since it SHOULD be possible, unless there'd be too many colors on the screen at once for each player...).

Someone was commenting about the speed of the board game, which is slow (but fun). The Mac version moved pretty quickly. The game would last, at most, about 1/2 an hour...I think (I haven't played it in years).

When I played it only lasted about an hour, but I made the other opponents do nothing since I simply wanted to get to the ending as fast as possible. If playing with three players I suppose it would take about 3 hours or so. This version moves fairly quickly since there isn't a lot of time wasted moving tokens, rolling dice, and calculating numbers. Steve thought it could be set to four players, but I haven't been able to get that to work. I'm going to try and download it into my flash cart tonight and play it on a real 800 and see if that triggers anything (emulators aren't 100% perfect).

Tempest

Very well done 8)

Does Steve Kranish know anything else about other A8 PB games?

There are still at least five mysteries to be solved:

- why was the A8 version of Tutankham canned?

- what happened to the other board game, Clue?

- whatever happened to the A8 version of The Lord of the Rings (heck, a McDonald's proto was found so why not that one?)?

- was the sequel to Montezuma's Revenge ever started?

- an A8 version of Q*bert's Qubes was listed in some dealer catalogs, what happened to that one?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Was there a C-64 risk, or a rip-off thereof? I seem to remember playing one and once I had dominated all but one country I built up the armies to 999 (the max) on all but one continent and then see how long it would take the computer to make a comeback. Yeah I was bored at times as a kid. :D