IGNORED

2004 Stan Awards?!

StanJr

INV+ does not apply because it is not a new release, but a rerelease of a previously released game (the same rule that exempted Thrust + Platinum two years ago).

IMO INV+ is a little bit different. Thrust+ Platinum didn't change the gameplay at all, but INV+ does. Actually IMO INV wasn't really finished before the +.

Hi there!

INV+ does not apply because it is not a new release, but a rerelease of a previously released game (the same rule that exempted Thrust + Platinum two years ago).

IMO INV+ is a little bit different. Thrust+ Platinum didn't change the gameplay at all, but INV+ does. Actually IMO INV wasn't really finished before the +.

Hm... getting an idea for my "Player's Choice" vote here... :twisted:

Greetings,

Manuel

perhaps, but then I say, "don't release it until you are done." Either way, if I held your incredible (or so I hear ;) ) game to this standard, I must hold ALL games of this sort to this standard. Fair is fair.

And like Manuel says, there is always the Player's Choice Award if you really feel it deserves the nod.

NO ONE would like a hardware award of ANY kind more than me, but unless every hardware producer is willing to send (or lend) me a free copy of their product, there is NO way I can fairly assess the merits of all the various hardward products available. I can barely afford to buy the homebrews and hacks that I do (and thanks to emulation I can still play the ones I cannot afford), so spending bigger money for hardware unfortunately is just not an option.

I'm going into the basement for the next week as I have a TON of work and grad school to attend to, but when I get back (1st of Nov) progress on the awards will escalate. We'll get the label contest underway and Player's Choice voting will begin!

Thanks again to everyone who shows an interest in the awards!

Stan :)

'fraid not, bro, although I appreciate the offer. I have to be able to give an account of the experience using the hardware. Trust me, I hope someday to be able to finance a hardware award.

In the meantime, I advise you to pimp it strong and vote for it in the Player's Choice Award.

• 2 weeks later...

So you don't think I got lost in the basement, the awards are still on, but I'm pushing things back a bit. There are some REALLY great projects on the way and I want to give them time to get released before hammering a deadline on them.

The FINAL deadline for ANYTHING to be considered for a 2004 Stan Award is:

Midnight Monday December 27 2004

The rules for qualification can be found here:

http://www.atariage.com/features/Stan2003/

In light of the later deadline, Player's Choice Award voting and the Label Design contest will not begin until around December 1st. I will post more updates on that information as it becomes relevant.

Some great things are happening in the classic gaming world this year, I can't wait to give them their propers.

Weee!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!

December is here and things are getting down to the wire! I am holding off the deadline as long as I can but I cannot push it back any longer than I have. If you are working on a project that you hope will make it in time, but are not sure, please contact me via PM and we can establish a dialogue regarding your project.

HOMEBREWERS, I will be posting shortly in the HB forum regarding some WIP's I need updates on.

Player's Choice Voters: Voting will commence (a bit delayed due to my protracted deadline) at midnight Dec. 12 and end midnight Dec. 19. The voting rules are linked above, but in short you may vote on ANY project of ANY kind ATARI related that was released to the PUBLIC during the 2004 Calendar year. This includes all hardware, hacks, homebrews, mods, proto releases, stand-up guys and gals, events, for ANY ATARI system . To vote all you need do is send me a PM with the subject "MY VOTE." One vote per valid AA member (dummy accts will be sniffed out and smoted).

Label Design Contest, suspended indefinitely. More on this IF it develops.

Its nice to be out of the basement, and things are getting a little less hectic so I can finally breathe a bit and I am excited about another great year for these Awards, I hope you are too!

Keeping you posted as best I can Stan :)

PCA Voters!

For those of you struggling with what to vote FOR: Here is the BEGINNING of a partial list of potential candidates. Feel free to select from here, or strike out on your own!

Stella Adapter 2600-USB Interface

Climber 5 (2600 HB)

JoustPong (2600 HB)

Castle Crisis (5200 HB)

Beef Drop (5200 HB)

TIA Painter by Christian Bogey

Seawolf (2600 HB)

Voice Synth Module by starfighter1314

A26 MaxiCart

2600 Horizontal Log Scroller Routine by Simon

Atari XL/XE USB Cart

Proto Release: Meltdown

Proto Release: 5200 RS Basketball

Proto Release: Rubik's Cube 3D

I'll be adding more as I finish compiling my own list, but this will get you thinking in the right direction, yes?

Enjoy!

Proto Release:  Meltdown

Proto Release: 5200 RS Basketball

Proto Release: Rubik's Cube 3D

Don't forget 5200 Blaster! That's probably one of the biggest proto releases in years.

What category would 5200 Bristles fall into? Is that one a new release, homebrew, or prototype release? I know it was completely recoded, but I thought it was done from the original code.

How about a best new label award?

Yeah, I debate about these things late at night when no one else is around, its really rather scary. Do I want to do a "best label design?" How about a "manual design?" "Box Design?" What about an overall "Production design?" But then who gets the award? The production agency or the designer? Both?

See Thomas, that way lies madness! Actually, my hope is that if the Awards continue to grow and get bigger and MORE people take notice and care about them, I WILL be able to expand the library of awards to things such as you mention. The idea of a "label design" award is VERY appealing, and although a bit late for THIS year, it may very well be added NEXT year, assuming that people still have interest.

As for Bristles, it is a tough nut to crack. My instinct is HACK, but so much work was done is nearly a Homebrew, but then again.... and we arrive back at madness. Its much like Nukey's Pac-man. If can't easily classify it. Therefore, I must relegate it to the realm of Player's Choice Award until a suitable classificiation comes to light. VOTE for it! :)

Hi there!

Player's Choice Voters:  Voting will commence (a bit delayed due to my protracted deadline) at midnight Dec. 12 and end midnight Dec. 19.

Ok, I'm prepared! Still no clue what to vote for though. Can I vote "ze_ro" for establishing and running the HSC for example?

Greetings,

Manuel

Don't forget 5200 Blaster! That's probably one of the biggest proto releases in years.

Yes, Blaster 5200 should definitely be included in the above list. :)

What category would 5200 Bristles fall into?  Is that one a new release, homebrew, or prototype release?  I know it was completely recoded, but I thought it was done from the original code.

Bristles was ported from the 8-bit to the 5200. I don't really know how much it changed, but I would not really consider it a new game given that it was based on the original code. It's a new title for the 5200, yes, but it was commercially released on the 8-bit and presumably is mostly unchanged. The rules probably need to be clearer about titles like this, since it is likely to happen again in the future.

..Al