IGNORED

Who has beat Double Dragon?

kyle

I have also beaten 7800 DD it isn't actually all that difficult. I found out that many of the enemies are fairly stupid. Basically if you wiggle the joystick up and down a few times...you will get the enemies on screen to just walk straigh across the screen and not move up or down...this makes it super easy to get behind them and elbow punch them which is just as effective as the reverse kick only much easier to pull off. Also at the end you have to be careful with the shadow boss as his uzi will make life hell for you. Basically trying and get to the shadowboss area on one life which can be done fairly easily. Then you have all the rest to go after him with. Also this is well documented...but avoid all the other dudes on the final fight with the shadow boss and just go after him. Once he is down...the game is over and the others will go down with him.

Still 7800 DD may have goofy looking sprites for people...but the backgrounds are nice...and the moves aren't super impossible to pull off.

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

I have also beaten 7800 DD it isn't actually all that difficult. I found out that many of the enemies are fairly stupid. Basically if you wiggle the joystick up and down a few times...you will get the enemies on screen to just walk straigh across the screen and not move up or down...this makes it super easy to get behind them and elbow punch them which is just as effective as the reverse kick only much easier to pull off. Also at the end you have to be careful with the shadow boss as his uzi will make life hell for you. Basically trying and get to the shadowboss area on one life which can be done fairly easily. Then you have all the rest to go after him with. Also this is well documented...but avoid all the other dudes on the final fight with the shadow boss and just go after him. Once he is down...the game is over and the others will go down with him.

Still 7800 DD may have goofy looking sprites for people...but the backgrounds are nice...and the moves aren't super impossible to pull off.

Exactly! I've beaten the game several time by using the exact same strategies. it's not hard (unless you actually try to use all the moves, mixing it up).

I've beaten it lots of times. It's actually not all that hard ... just needs practice.

A couple of tips. First, learn how to do the reverse jump kick and get good at it. It's the best thing you can do in this game. Also learn the headbutt and elbow jab. Avoid regular punches and kicks if possible.

Second, when you face the SHADOW BOSS, ignore his cronies. If you kill him, they'll disappear.

Third, try to get your enemies into a corner. If you get them into a corner, you can elbow jab them to death.

Hi guys.

All you ever wanted to know about Double Dragon 7800.

HIGH SCORE:

- 1 player, 2/27/02, 110100 points

Note that I believe in 2-player mode that the baddies take twice as many hits, so I could effectively double this score by setting up as a 2 player game, killing off player 2, and then killing all of the baddies myself. Haven't verified this yet, though.

STRATEGY:

There's a few things noticeable about gameplay that'll make the game a heck of a lot speedier.

First off, the obvious:

- If you're going to keep jump-kicking someone repeatedly, they'll eventually figure it out and hit you back. Never do a straight up repeated jump-kick attack unless you mix it up with a few regular kicks.

- Repeatedly jump-kicking someone repeatedly never seems to fail if they're coming onto a screen that's scrolling (i.e., screen scrolls right when you move right, so everything slows down). This also generally works whenever there is an invisible "barrier" between you and the next baddie, caused by your not killing enough baddies to make the screen scroll again. It also works with killing offscreen baddies, by repeatedly knocking them back offscreen. Here's the scoop: if your enemy is in front of you, you can seemingly do endless jump-kicks in a row, until the screen stops scrolling without ever facing any counter-attack. You have to time it just right, though, and it generally only works for one enemy at a time, or 2 bunched together.

- If you're just starting out, a simple technique (but boring) is to scroll a screen across slowly. In some situations, 4 baddies will appear at once. However, this is not entirely true. Usually, one baddie is places at each frame that the screen scrolls. So, instead of fighting 4 enemies at once, you can take them on separately.

-You get more points for whuppin the Shadow Boss's 3 green goons, though you don't have to kill then to finish the game.

Next, the not-so-obvious:

- Baddies move in 2 modes; "Attack mode" and "Intimidation mode". to discern from the 2 is easy. Just go to the top of a screen and hold "up" on your controller. Those who keep moving are in "Intimidation mode". Those who are standing still are in "Attack mode". The difference is easy: Those in attack mode can counter-attack if attacked. Those in "Intimidation mode" can be sucker-punched (or kicked). To move characters into "Intimidation mode", just wiggle the joystick around. Those who follow your every move will eventually be shaken loose and start getting "intimidating". This is a useful technique to prevent 4 baddies from picking on you at once, and to get them into a position to be easily taken down

- The over-the-shoulder technique; In my mind, this is the most powerful attack. One hit always takes them down. To better facilitate this technique, find a good hard wall, stand about 1.5 character lengths away from it, facing away from it, and force the enemy into "intimidation mode". When this happens, just keep over-the-shoulder attacking the baddie, and they'll hit the wall, and get up right behind you, where another blow is inevitable before they can retaliate. An enemy can be taken out in less than 10 seconds with this technique. There are lots of screens with useful side walls, including the final scene with the shadow boss.

- The knife; Your best friend. If you see someone with a knife, or know that someone is coming on-screen soon with one, stay near the top of the screen. When you see them, hold the joystick up. Jiggle it to get them into "intimidation mode", and then hit them with a good solid kick. Prevent the baddie from picking it up again later, by jiggling the joystick (making them "intimidating"), and then pick up the knife. As an interesting note, you can still kick when you have the knife. Don't throw the knife away, but instead kick everyone. Normal baddies will be down in 2-3 hits, and big baddies will take 4. And they'll always be knowcked down by even a standing kick. Also, you'll get 500 points for each kick (whenever you're holding a weapon, regardless of what attack you use, you always get the amount of points attributed to that particular weapon).

KNOWN GLITCHES:

A bug with the Release Box

(visible at http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?Soft...BoxStyleID=73):

There's a picure on the box with a caption "Williams is a 400 hitter. Avoid his lumber or he'll swat your melon into the cheap seats". There is no bat available at this portion of the game...

From http://www.digitpress.com

- "Walk in mid-air: On mission 3, when the computer moves your character over to the 2nd half of the level, push UP. You will go to the

top of the screen!"

(I believe this is what you're talking about) To add to this, if you kill off the first 4 baddies, you can go left to the climbing wall, climb about halfway up it, press left, and eventually, you'll appear on the right hand side of the screen! This puts you in a place you don't have the ability to enter (i.e. the scrolling stops before you get this far right, generally).

I just found this one out tonight! It's a major bug, i.e. a gamestopper. If you kill one of the bosses, and then jump off of a cliff to kill yourself, but haven't completely died and been restored yet (the easiest place to try this is at the end of Mission 2, but I've done it after mission 4 as well), then the funky "you made it" music will play, and you'll start the next mission. The problem is, you'll have zero health, and can no longer move your character, because he is effectively dead! The time still counts down. If you wait for it to time out, it'll expire and say "Time over", which would generally kill you, but the timer will just reset to its default starting time, and nothing else will happen. You're an eternal zombie!

The second glitch to note occurs on the "Invade the Enemy Base" mission (I believe it's Mission 4). When you're fighting the 2 big green men ("Abobo"), if you didn't scroll too far to the right, you should still be able to see the cut-in-stone ladder that you climbed to get up to the level you're at. Go back and descend it. Try to get a green guy to follow you. When he comes down the ladder, there are no graphics defined for big-guys climbing ladders, so the graphics pointer actually ends up pointing to graphics of the little green guy. It's a weird thing to see, but it doesn't screw up the game.

Those are some great tips, John. A lot of people should find them useful. I've used many of those strategies in the past, especially the "hold onto the knife" trick. I like to think of the knife as a powerup for your kick attacks.

Some of the glitches you mentioned are interesting, and I haven't seen those before.

I keep loseing my last two lifes on level 4! Who has beating it on the 7800 and can give me some tips? Maybe i should just play it more i got it around the last of jan.And play it about 4 times a week maybe if i play it more. Over time i can beat the game! I made it to leavel 4 about a week after i got it and have been stuck there ever since.

I have a VERY thorough walkthrough I can post (whipped it up about a week ago). It covers pretty much everything about the game - strategy, every glictch I've ever found, game quirks that'll make it simple to beat.

I'll post it tonight.

-John K. Harvey