IGNORED

Tales of the Atari Era...

opcode

Ok, I am creating a new thread so we don't mix this development with all the boycott talk going on in my previous thread... :)

Well, as I indicated before I am working on a new original game, which will allow players to make a trip back in time, when THE Atari was still alive and kicking.

It will be a mix of RPG, Animal Crossing and Lazy Jones. There will be dozens of mini-games, and your character will be able to play them in arcades or at home. New mini-games will be "released" during the game, so hopefully there will be something fresh to keep you entertained for a while. Interaction with NPCs will be also important, since you will be abe to get interesting things from them, like tips, exclusive items, and collectibles, lots of them. Will you be able to play the rarest games, or find that missing game card you were so desperately looking for?

Another major game component will be finding ways to earn money (afterall you will need it to play in the arcades or buy new cartridges for your home systems). And finally there will be side quests (something to do beside playing videogames) and tournaments (wants to become the utimate videogame player?).

Well, I started the main RPG engine and here is a screenshot from my first very, very early build. So far it's just able to display windows. I can have up to 4 windows at the same time on screen, with overlaping. The previous background stay stored in a buffer, so I can remove any window later and restore the screen to its previous state. I am now working on displaying text. So far I have thought of 3 window types: dialog windows (with text scroll), info windows (static text, header) and option windows. The windows can have any size and be placed on any screen position, so they are very flexible. After text is implemented I can start thinking of the character driver. Characters in this game will be 32x16 pixels size and I am planning to have them going behind objects...

At last, for this game I am planning to keep posting demo builds so I can get some feedback. I hope to post the first build this weekend...

Oh, I almost forgot: clever mini-game designs are very welcome, as are story inputs.

And did I say it will be a ColecoVision game? :)

Eduardo

post-1432-1096409513_thumb.png

Ok, windows are closing now. It uses 512 bytes, but no problem, the cart will have 4KB of extra RAM.

I created a properties table for each window, so I can change screen content easily. After the screen is opened a handler is returned. The remaining routines accessing the windows will require this handler.

Next step, text and scroll. :)

Eduardo

post-1432-1096430075_thumb.png

You = Too smart :P

By the way, are those from Earthbound?

Nop, those are from the ColecoVision, though the screens were based on Earthbound. It's just a concept right now, the final graphics will be different...

Now, why too smart? :ponder:

Eduardo

You = Too smart :P

By the way, are those from Earthbound?

Nop, those are from the ColecoVision, though the screens were based on Earthbound. It's just a concept right now, the final graphics will be different...

Now, why too smart? :ponder:

Eduardo

The "too smart" is a bit of a joke. It relates to the fact that you have a tendancy to do seemingly "impossible" stuff. :D

Isn't a little strange to have a game called Atari Tales on a Colecovision? :ponder:  :D  

Just kidding. Great work as always, opcode. I can't wait to see this one.  :thumbsup:

Well, even the most die hard CV fans will probably concede that was the Atari era, much as SMS fans will concede their beloved console was released during the Nintendo era.

I am just trying to be a little broader in time here, as Tales of the CV Era would be a too short period... :)

Besides, the title can still change, as I am not sure if it sounds too stupid to the US audience. :ponder: And since I am fine with Attack of the Clones...

Probably Jess will come with something better... :roll:

Eduardo

Square made a game with Disney characters and their own and  called Kingdom Hearts.Why not make a similar game with Atari characters called ,what else,Atari Hearts? :)

Is it a polited way to tell me 'Tales...' sounds really silly? :) :D

Well, I like the Atari Hearts idea either. Lets see... :)

We're going need to experience the feel of the final game before choosing a definitive title...

Eduardo

Ok, so here is my idea:

I am aiming for a certain authenticity, but it doesn't disallow me to add a few fantasy elements, right?

Well, while thinking about a way to add incentive to people play all mini-games, I had thought of including collectable cards to the game. So if you managed to reach a certain score level, you would earn a card from that mini-game. But since Breakpack mentioned actual Atari characters, I came with the following idea:

After reaching a certain score level on a given mini-game, we will receive a "digital character", which can be stored on your "Cosmos" holographic system (it wasn't released, so who knows :) ). Those digital characters can be just collected or you can challenge NPCs, so how about having your Yar going against your opponent's Yorgle, the Yellow Dragon?

Ok, it sounds familiar, but I still think it would be pretty cool. :D

See the crude mockup screen bellow....

Eduardo

post-1432-1096496379_thumb.jpg

Sweet,I like where youre going with this.Its turn based ,right?Also how about an interactive 'Street Fighter" type of fighting with Atari characters.Make this a fighting game version,with a character select screen,character specific level,even custom endings for the characters.The fighting engine wouldnt have to be as complex or deep as Street Fighter,but imagine the possibilities :ponder:

Turn based battles usually offer better balance and are more flexible. Just think, how I could have a Yar shooting energy pulces while Yorgle is just able to byte and still make it a fair, balanced fight? Or how could you have a centipede split on two others when hitted in an action fighting game? :)