IGNORED

Is meltdown any good?

liquid_sky

quote:

Originally posted by liquid_sky:

Im asking cause I might be getting it soon but it wont run in mess (what else is new )

Well, I have it. It only works with the lightgun, you can't even play it at all without one. Which is my problem. I have a Sega Lightgun that I'm modifiying, but am having some problems with the trigger still, so I haven't had an opertunity to actually play the game. I have seen it running though and it looks like fun. Lots of tiny stuff to shoot though...

I bought this game years ago from O'Shea's, but never had a lightgun to play with it. About a year later, a co-worker GAVE me his XEGS, light gun, several carts (including my now prized Bounty Bob Strikes Back), and his 400 with a real keyboard and 48K expansion.

Anyway, I never really dug out the light gun to play until a few months ago. I played Meltdown with the gun only inches away from the screen and it worked great and I had a blast. First time I played it I got to the next to last level.

The problem with it is that the targets are so tiny. But, if you play it close to the screen like I did, you're sure to have fun with it.

but the first one actually looks like an original atari gun ..... and it's way cheaper and comes with some other cool controllers. nethertheless, if anybody plans to order from RTC, you should check his other auctions or even his site at www.worldofatari.com. i bought many items in the past, and everything was always like new ..... plus he's got lots of interesting memorabilia ....

The gun in the first auction is an Atari gun missing the labels not an Amiga. The gun in the second auction is a Best lightgun. More accurate than the Atari gun about equal to the SMS gun.

Gunstar- about the SMS gun mod. The third connection was broken off on mine. You could just see a little bit of the metal from it on the side of the switch. I chipped some of the plastic away from around it and was able to get it to work. If you don't want to do that, you could aways throw a 7404 Hex invertor in there and it would fix the problem as well.

Liquid Sky- Barnyard Blaster is kind of lame but Meltdown is an OK game. I've beaten it on the normal level and made it to the last reactor on the hard level. An accurate lightgun is a must. Oh, and I've never seen an NES to Atari lightgun mod. If you find one let me know. I have successfully modded both an SMS and Saturn lightguns. You should be able to mod a playstation or an arcade lightgun as well.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

Thanks, but I'll mod my sega gun. It's just a glitch. The mod instructions are for a sega gun that obviously has a different type of micro switch in it than mine. It talks about 3 connections and mine only has 2. So I just need to get the right type or "append" the mod directions and figure it out on my own. I'll do it, just haven't had time lately. Plus, Sega guns are said to be the best, most accurate and Atari's the worst.

I'd suggest bidding on that second one liquid_Sky, at least you have a picture and it specifically state "Atari," not "came with an amiga" Who knows what your getting there, it could be anything.

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

As a general rule all Atari Light Gun games SUCK!

I have 2 guns and have used them on 7800 and XE. Both are massivley inaccurate - taking any fun from the games (this aint no GunCon and TIme Crisis!!!)

As to the games - Meltdown is dull, as are Bug Hunt and Barnyard Balster on the XE, in fact if you have a light gun there is only one reasonable game "Crimebusters" on the XE - even with the miserable light gun this game is OK....

sTeVE

And if you connect a genesis controller cable and a DIN-9 connector to a project box (or an empty combat cart ) wire up an inverter, plus the other three connection, you can make a nifty SMS gun to 7800 converter. Don't have to thrash the gun label, and can still use it on the SMS

quote:

Originally posted by Jet Boot Jack:

As a general rule all Atari Light Gun games SUCK!

I have 2 guns and have used them on 7800 and XE. Both are massivley inaccurate - taking any fun from the games (this aint no GunCon and TIme Crisis!!!)

As to the games - Meltdown is dull, as are Bug Hunt and Barnyard Balster on the XE, in fact if you have a light gun there is only one reasonable game "Crimebusters" on the XE - even with the miserable light gun this game is OK....

sTeVE

Hmmm. I quite liked ALIEN BRIGADE and CROSSBOW, though they don't necessarily count as you could also play them with joysticks.

Yeah I had forgotten Alien Brigade and Crossbow.

Crossbow never did much for me I gotta say - I prefer the VCS or XE versions to the 7800 one - its so ugly

Alien brigade on the other hand - albeit a poor mans operation wolf - wa not too shabby, and quite a good challenege. Some of the grafix had that "cheap" look so many 7800 games had, but overall it was a good little game!!

sTeVE

quote:

Originally posted by Mitch:

Gunstar- about the SMS gun mod. The third connection was broken off on mine. You could just see a little bit of the metal from it on the side of the switch. I chipped some of the plastic away from around it and was able to get it to work. If you don't want to do that, you could aways throw a 7404 Hex invertor in there and it would fix the problem as well.

Mitch

Thanks! I'll take a closer look at the switch and decide what to do from there...it just so happens that I do have a couple of those 74LS04 chips on hand! So I might just do that, but I don't know if I'd want to just leave it hanging in there somehow, or if I'd want to make a little circuit board for it, I'll have to decide. Unless there are some 7404 hex inverters that are smaller with just one or two gates in them? I've only known what a hex inverter or 74 series chips or gates were for just a few months!! I started going to school for electronics this year. I'll have that gun working in two shakes of a...well never mind...Thank's again!