IGNORED

Who wants to help build the elusive PAL rarity list then?

Spirantho

Looks like mine - perfectly normal '86 pic label Dodge 'Em but with black tape over the erroneous "Use with Paddle Controllers"... or does yours not have tape?

It's not mine. I just found it on Ebay. But it doesn't seem to have any tape on it. Interestingly, i did find another picture of the same cart: http://www.atariguide.com/d/102p2.jpg You can clearly see that there is no tape and no controller-type information on the label...

some small contribution.....

in the this thread I posted a different kung-fu label and the red crystal castles. Also at the end of this post i have included 4 more.

I searched yars revenge and turned up completly different results to yars' revenge. and one more thing, the mario cart pictured in the database, its australian and wraps around, dose this affect rarity amd value?

haydn

atari_carts.jpg

Just added the Concorde pirate game to the list. If you don't know what i'm talking about see http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...5103&highlight=

Anyone a clue about the rarity?? At the moment i've set it to 8, but as this is the only copy i've ever seen (and no one else seems to have ever seen one) maybe the rarity should be higher.

Some food for thought: The label is very generic, and even has room for a 'game' number. That all seems to suggest there might be more games pirated by this company. Also, i don't personally own this cart, but i do know that is was probably sold for EUR 25,- to a dutch collector. Now there aren't many casual collectors who would pay that amount of money for a simple pirate cart, so my guess is that who ever owns this now is also a member here. Anyone care to step forward and claim ownership? :D

Also, i did spot another of those Colecovision-Centipede-label-on-an-Atari-Cart. Anyone have an idea for the rarity of that label variantion? See picture

post-2952-1112178335_thumb.jpg

Also, i did spot another of those Colecovision-Centipede-label-on-an-Atari-Cart. Anyone have an idea for the rarity of that label variantion? See picture

How do you know it's an Atari cart? I tried blowing that picture up & playing with the brightness & contrast, but could not tell definitely either way. How can you be certain that's not just an Atarisoft CV game mixed in with a lot of Atari games?

If it is an Atari cart with a CV label, then I'd say it's just some sort of mislabeled cart from the factory, and oddity but I would not place much value on it. It would not even be worth adding to the rarity list IMO. It's a freak of nature in that regard, not something that can be can be found with any regularity, possibly even a one-of-a-kind. I did read your above comment & see this is 'another' as in you have spied these before, but can you be certain if they were even Atari cases & not Atarisoft cases?

Do you own one or have a better pic/scan available?

If it is an Atari cart with a CV label, then I'd say it's just some sort of mislabeled cart from the factory, and oddity but I would not place much value on it. It would not even be worth adding to the rarity list IMO.  It's a freak of nature in that regard, not something that can be can be found with any regularity, possibly even a one-of-a-kind.  I did read your above comment & see this is 'another' as in you have spied these before, but can you be certain if they were even Atari cases & not Atarisoft cases?  

100% agreed. A mislabelled cart is not worth adding as an entry. I can take an Atarisoft CV cart, remove the label on it, then put it onto an Atari cart any day.

Cool 8) I must of missed that thread. Yep that one is clearly in an Atari casing. That end label has turned up on NTSC carts as well. Both Centipede & Galaxian both on NTSC 2600 carts, with the Atarisoft CV end label, but I had not seen the main label on one like that.

The Atarisoft CV carts are still squared at the end, like Atari, but the top edges start to bevel as it goes down towards the contacts. The first picture you showed above was so small I really could not say for certain if it was in fact an Atari casing, but it maybe it is. :ponder:

Still I think an error like this does not make for an addition to a rarity guide. Not because of what Sku mentions in that it's an easy fake, but because I don't believe it was ever intended to be sold as such. Sure there are some out there, and QC was probably at an all-time low, not to mention they are foreign release PAL carts that no one cares about, ( :P ) But just that it's something that was never intended to be. The label is clearly a Colecovision label, not Atari, just happens to adorn the Atari cart in this case.

I would place more significance in those black tape carts & the errored joystick/paddle configurations, that are at least of the same platform, than an error like this, where if you peeled that label off & put back on a CV Atarisoft cart, it would be corrected. If that label did not exist as an Atarisoft CV title, then it would be noteworthy. :) If any of the proto (non-released) Atarisoft titles for the CV showed up as finished labels on Pal 2600 carts in the same fashion as this, then I would think that would be interesting! But this is less interesting to me, maybe because I don't collect label variations, but also I think a correct label on wrong cart is less interesting than a wrong label on a correct cart.

Still maybe they should be added to the database, as looking at the other thread it seems Marco has seen them before too, maybe some others exist. Might save confusion down the road having an entry.

BTW, where is the link to this Pal rarity guide at? I did a quick look, and went thru the first few pages on this thread but did not see it :?

Still I think an error like this does not make for an addition to a rarity guide. Not because of what Sku mentions in that it's an easy fake, but because I don't believe it was ever intended to be sold as such.

Still maybe they should be added to the database, as looking at the other thread it seems Marco has seen them before too, maybe some others exist.  Might save confusion down the road having an entry.

I think they should be added. As far as i know (but feel free to prove me wrong) these carts are official Atari releases, not some homebrew. It's one of the weirder label variations out there, but it does exist. Since the PAL rarity list is supposed to be a list with all released PAL games is should at least should be mentioned somewhere that a cart like this exists...

Absolutely it should be listed.

There's one very simple reason: if you don't list it, where would you draw the line?

In a rarity guide you have to list odd freaks, even if there's only one of them as long as you can prove it to have been officially created.

In this case the cart variation in question is about rarity 8 I'd say... I tried to buy one on eBay once but the seller vanished before I could send him any money.. grr...

Errors of label are just as noteworthy as any other variant, perhaps more so.

I imagine what happened is a shortage of Atari labels or a surplus of CV labels, so they reused them... we know that Atari reused things when are where necessary, so why not? AFAICS it's an official label variation so definitely, it should be listed.

Now, who wants to put it in the database? Anyone have a cart to hand to scan in? :)

Ok, back in the upload game. 1st scan was a sileer label joust, spelling error "1985 Atar Corp" And I added a new label which is "Atari - Silver

Spelling error

I kind of screwed up and added a Kangaroo as well, I have a huge font silver which i wanna upload. I added /atari/silver/spelling error by mistake. I intend on filling in the gaps for many images and also adding what i havent alerady. Lets face it,, this looks like the most comprehensive PAL list on the web

I added /atari/silver/spelling error by mistake. I intend on filling in the gaps for many images and also adding what i havent alerady. Lets face it,, this looks like the most comprehensive PAL list on the web

I like to think so. :)

A lot of people have put some good work into this database. I'd certainly say it's one of the most comprehensive out there! And still it grows. :)