IGNORED

Who wants to help build the elusive PAL rarity list then?

Spirantho

I see. Will do, one of these days. (of course the task would be MUCH simplified if I was responsible enough to track my carts on a database so I wouldn't need to go through the hardware each and every time... :roll:)

However, I seriously doubt that you'll ever mine any significant information about geographical distribution. Most of my carts have been bought in UK, Germany and Australia. Moreover, some I bought in a shop in Italy have proven to be NTSC, which is enough to say that they were not made in EU, methinks.

There has been a lot of mix-up, since auctions on the internet started.

However, I seriously doubt that you'll ever mine any significant information about geographical distribution. Most of my carts have been bought in UK, Germany and Australia. Moreover, some I bought in a shop in Italy have proven to be NTSC, which is enough to say that they were not made in EU, methinks.

You're quite right, and I'm not expecting any more than a vaguely interesting statistic.

However, it's also useful for us nosey types who like to see what each of us owns (and in the case of Raymond, so we know where to send the heavy mob round to to relieve him of his spare Pengo cart :) )

However, it's also useful for us nosey types who like to see what each of us owns (and in the case of Raymond, so we know where to send the heavy mob round to to relieve him of his spare Pengo cart :) )

Hehe why did you think i moved to the middle of nowhere. If you do send the bad-boys mob make sure they are dressed properly. It's not winter yet, but it will be soon and that means temperatures of around -30 :)

I have uploaded bigger pics this time, are they too big? (~35 Kb each) I took a default width of 320 pixels and a Jpeg compression of 20. Check the results in the Pirate V-case carts. Just that I'm not going through all this trouble of making 2 pics of each cart with my digital camera for nothing. I don't have a scanner.

I have uploaded bigger pics this time, are they too big? (~35 Kb each) I took a default width of 320 pixels and a Jpeg compression of 20. Check the results in the Pirate V-case carts. Just that I'm not going through all this trouble of making 2 pics of each cart with my digital camera for nothing. I don't have a scanner.

AFAIK that should be fine. Now we're using Frax's server we have loads more bandwidth as far as we know.... and even if we have to cut them down it's a lot easier to shrink pictures that are too big than to enlarge ones that are too small!

I also agree, no PAL-M stuff. But what about Secam? I have a few games that specifically state they are for a Secam system (although i always thought it was basically the same as PAL. The only difference being in the console, not the games)...

Cheers,

Raymond

BTW Spirantho, sorry but i needed that Nuts :)

Absolutely, PAL-M isn't really PAL-M at all AFAIK.

As for SECAM, yeah, put carts in there, but make it clear that they are. I suspect some 'SECAM' carts are just PAL ones with a SECAM label on them anyway...

Raymond: You swine. And on my birthday too. *sniff* :) (all's fair in Love and Atari...)

Raymond: You swine. And on my birthday too. *sniff* :) (all's fair in Love and Atari...)

Well i did let you win those boxed Bomb games. I was planning on bidding on those too, but i kinda ran out of money to spend since i won the other auction (although i'm almost sure i wouldn't have outbid you though)... I thought it was kinda funny that i outbid you on that Nuts with €0.01 :)

Anyway, i think we should lower the rarity rating of those Technovision games (at least Nuts and Pharaoh's curse) to 6. They show up regularly on ebay.de and i don't think they deserve the rarity 8 they have now. Any comments on that?

Cheers,

Raymond

BTW Hope i didn't ruin your birthday :P (/me starts singing and dancing around the room for Spirantho)

Well i did let you win those boxed Bomb games. I was planning on bidding on those too, but i kinda ran out of money to spend since i won the other auction (although i'm almost sure i wouldn't have outbid you though)... I thought it was kinda funny that i outbid you on that Nuts with €0.01 :)

Is true. The BOMB double pack I got was cheaper (and included a system) than the BOMB double pack sold seperately (which, incidentally, got €211!)

I hope mind have the instructions and suchlike!

Anyway, i think we should lower the rarity rating of those Technovision games (at least Nuts and Pharaoh's curse) to 6. They show up regularly on ebay.de and i don't think they deserve the rarity 8 they have now. Any comments on that?

Hmm.... I suppose I can concur with that, yes. Make the changes! :)

SoS should stay higher. We don't want to be over-using the higher rarities after all. At the moment the most over-used rarity level is 3, but that's because most Atari games in Europe really are kind-of-common-ish-but-not-very...

BTW Hope i didn't ruin your birthday :P  (/me starts singing and dancing around the room for Spirantho)

Too late now. That was yesterday :P

Is true. The BOMB double pack I got was cheaper (and included a system) than the BOMB double pack sold seperately (which, incidentally, got €211!)

I hope mind have the instructions and suchlike!

I saw that one too. I did have all the manuals and such, and was in a much better condition then the one you bought yesterday (boxes look pretty beat up) but still, for €45 you got a pretty sweet deal...

Hmm.... I suppose I can concur with that, yes. Make the changes! :) SoS should stay higher. We don't want to be over-using the higher rarities after all. At the moment the most over-used rarity level is 3, but that's because most Atari games in Europe really are kind-of-common-ish-but-not-very...

I plan on going through the rarity soon. There are a number of other games i don't agree with (Demolition color label, Skeet Shoot, the Bomb games, etc)

I plan on going through the rarity soon. There are a number of other games i don't agree with (Demolition color label, Skeet Shoot, the Bomb games, etc)

Interesting...

What rarity do you reckon the PAL Skeet Shoot is? I've very rarely seen it - didn't even know it existed till I got one. I'd not be happy with it being much less than 7, to be sure. And how would you classify the BOMB carts?

Incidentally, on a side note, part of my box-full of Atari stuff I got today (one day late! :) ) I got Laser Loop by Dynamics... I didn't know the Dynamics carts had the BOMB logo embossed on the back! Wonder how that happened....

Interesting...

What rarity do you reckon the PAL Skeet Shoot is? I've very rarely seen it - didn't even know it existed till I got one. I'd not be happy with it being much less than 7, to be sure. And how would you classify the BOMB carts?

Incidentally, on a side note, part of my box-full of Atari stuff I got today (one day late! :) ) I got Laser Loop by Dynamics... I didn't know the Dynamics carts had the BOMB logo embossed on the back! Wonder how that happened....

I have a Skeet Shoot too and first i thought it was NTSC but it turned out the PAL. Like you, i have no idea how many of these exist, but i reckon it's pretty rare because the one i have is the only one i ever saw. It could be that there are a number of those carts in the hands of collectors who assume it's NTSC or something.. Currently it's a 7, but i would say it's more like an 8. (i have seen more Treasure Belows then Skeet Shoots for example :) ) It could be that they are more common in other places of the world so if anyone disagrees please join the discussion...

The Bomb carts would be more like a 4. Especially in germany they pop up all the time. If you compare them to the other carts in the database with rarity 5 they are much easier to get...

I have to check my Laser Loop cart. It might have the logo too.

BTW could you a list sorted by rarity ? also a link back to the mainpage on every screen would be handy. Now i usually have to click 'back' many times after entering or changing a cart...

Raymond

I have a Skeet Shoot too and first i thought it was NTSC but it turned out the PAL. Like you, i have no idea how many of these exist, but i reckon it's pretty rare because the one i have is the only one i ever saw.

I would certainly not disagree with making Skeet Shoot an 8....

The Bomb carts would be more like a 4. Especially in germany they pop up all the time. If you compare them to the other carts in the database with rarity 5 they are much easier to get...

I agree.. some of the BOMB carts should be made a 4 - probably Great Escape and Wall Defender. Some of them are harder to find though.

I have to check my Laser Loop cart. It might have the logo too.

BTW could you a list sorted by rarity ? also a link back to the mainpage on every screen would be handy. Now i usually have to click 'back' many times after entering or changing a cart...

I thought of doing that, but didn't. Why? Bandwidth (again). Although we can use Frax's server for picture bandwidth, I'm still limited on my bandwidth, and that's where all the SQL data is. If I put a "go back" button in, your web-browser will reload the data from my server. If you use the "back" button, the data is not reloaded (and doesn't need to be).

If you use a browser that use gestures (such as Opera, which, incidentally, I use all the time) then you can go back just by holding the right mouse button down and clicking the left button. Very fast, and makes entering carts dead easy! Don't know about FireFox, it probably has something similar. I'd never recommend IE to anyone on any grounds unless they like viruses, but that's a different rant for a different forum. :)

If you use a browser that use gestures (such as Opera, which, incidentally, I use all the time) then you can go back just by holding the right mouse button down and clicking the left button. Very fast, and makes entering carts dead easy! Don't know about FireFox, it probably has something similar. I'd never recommend IE to anyone on any grounds unless they like viruses, but that's a different rant for a different forum. :)

At the moment i'm using a Logitech MX-500 mouse, which has a seperate thumb-operated button on the side that functions as a 'back' button. Extremely good invention from a usability point of view, but it still takes some effort :D

but what about the 'sorted by rarity' list?

Raymond

but what about the 'sorted by rarity' list?

I'll do that - but I'll do it in "read-only" mode like the "What does xxx own?" function - saves on a ton of bandwidth that way (those drop-down boxes with the label types have to have the entire label table each time in the HTML source!).

Keep an eye on the page. :)

ok, about rarity:

i also have a PAL Skeet Shoot (boxed with instructions) - makes me wonder if it`s really an 8.

let`s start with the super-common carts (the 1s) and work up from there with the ratings.

we should discuss each carts rarity because i don`t think it`s a good idea that everybody edits the database on his own.

i also have a PAL Skeet Shoot (boxed with instructions) - makes me wonder if it`s really an 8.

That's weird...

I've never seen a PAL Skeet Shoot on eBay apart from the one I've got, yet we've all got a copy. At the same time, we've all seen dead rare stuff come and go.

I think for now we should stick with 7.

let`s start with the super-common carts (the 1s) and work up from there with the ratings.  

we should discuss each carts rarity because i don`t think it`s a good idea that everybody edits the database on his own.

Absolutely.

The whole system relies on people working together and not over-riding a rarity on a whim. Sometimes it's clearly wrong, in which case it can be changed, but usually we're going to need to hammer out a rarity level for the more obscure carts. So far, though, it's working well!

I think we can all agree on the horribly common ones though (like Combat and RealSports Tennis, which I think are maybe the 2 most common PAL carts).

I've never seen a PAL Skeet Shoot on eBay apart from the one I've got, yet we've all got a copy. At the same time, we've all seen dead rare stuff come and go.
i can`t remember if i got it on eBay or in a trade - but i also have an NTSC one and therefore can determine its origin. i find rarity 7 for it appropriate.

Spirantho - maybe you can adapt the database so that changing the rarity once we settled for it can`t be done anymore except you.

Spirantho - maybe you can adapt the database so that changing the rarity once we settled for it can`t be done anymore except you.

I can do that but I don't think I need to. That's why only "trusted" people are able to use the database. I don't want to be the only maintainer, I want others too as well, as I may not always have the time to worry about it.

Ok, found something interesting. In the picture you can see a (boxed) pirate(?) game called Galaxy Defender. I own it loose, and also Space Marshall from the same company (also loose), but i haven't been able to find any information about those 2 games yet. I also have the manual, but there is absolutely no info about manufacturer/publisher in it. Has anyone ever seen those games before and/or have any info about it???

post-2952-1098370354_thumb.jpg