IGNORED

Who wants to help build the elusive PAL rarity list then?

Spirantho

@Marco,

first a big hello to you. The Activision dealer display is already loaded with my Activision games and it looks fantastic. What`s the story you mentioned with the first Eurocon and this display? :D

Did you guys ever came up with more info about the pirate conspiracy theorie you mentioned in the DPG #7 or is this the latest news?

@Spirantho

how is the project doing? we`re awaiting your orders... ;)

To be honest, I think we've done a pretty hefty amount of work.

I think the next phase is to work out between us what the actual rarity of each cart should be, and take an average. Then we can open the list (read-only, of course!) to the public... which will provide us with more submissions and knowledge hopefully.

What I don't know is how best to do this....!

To be honest, I think we've done a pretty hefty amount of work
yes, thanks to all of us :D . i will adding more scans today or tomorrow.

What I don't know is how best to do this....!
hmmm, we need a subforum here just for PAL rarity :P

Scarily, you might be right, but I suspect that Albert is a little too busy to worry about humouring us PAL guys at the moment. :)

Sorry I can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned then you might want to look at ...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23364

And see if you can contact IBP - he's been AWOL for a few months but he may just be lurking. I'm sure he has some usefull resources.

I have around 100 Pal carts but they are packed away in my attic and I'm in no hurry to dig them out, but if I do I will gladly contribute. Hmmm come to think about it I have a list somewhere so maybe I could dig that out if it helps.

Thanks for the link but IBP's rarity list has a major flaw - it tracks what is being sold in Europe, not what is produced in Europe.

Hence his list has things like Swordquest Waterworld, which has never existed in PAL form.

The only way to get a true PAL list is collaborate - hence why this new list has been created.

Absolutely.

It was never intended to be a true rarity list - more a buyer's guide. There's no way to produce a rarity list without doing shed-loads of hard work, which Spirantho is doing and for which I commend him.

I, on the other hand, am a plain lazy programmer who never could get visual basic to recognise an NTSC cart from a vague description and a fuzzy photo on ebay. Damn my pathetic limitations... :ponder:

I think both are useful, but ultimately what we need is a rarety guide and my system could never produce that. If you want to know how often things come up on ebay, though, mine's your puppy.

I wish you good luck, Spirantho, and now I've got the bug again I'll do whatever I can to help.

Ok, enough off-topic :)

Today i got this cart (see pictures). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work, but i was wondering if anyone has ever seen one before??

Cheers,

Raymond

BTW Today's haul was pretty ok. For EUR €50 (including shipping) i got: Colecovision console + atari 2600 adapter, boxed Sorcerer's Apprentice, boxed Super Cobra, boxed Bomb Assault, boxed dragonfire, boxed wizard of wor, boxed return ot Jedi, box star raiders + boxed pad, boxed plaque attack, boxed ghostbusters, boxed outlaw, boxed galaxian, Mogul Maniac + boxed Joyboard + bunch of loose commons AND a bunch of Colecovision games including boxed Zenji, boxed Mountain King, boxed Hero, boxed Tutankham, boxed Quest for Quintanaroo + bunch of loose and boxed common games AND 2 loose Intellivision games

post-2952-1099507076_thumb.jpg

post-2952-1099507077_thumb.jpg

Nope, never seen that before....

The picture is the same as used as the Tigervision "King Kong", not surprisingly...

I presume there's no indication of manufacturer or anything, so we should think of a name for this label style...

It is pretty non-descript, though, isn't it??

BTW - that haul - what do you mean OK? You got that on eBay? 50 Euros covers the boxed Assault - the rest is a freebie (and a good one too!)

Nope, no sign of the manufacturer. I'm still trying to get it work, but even after cleaning it still refuses to do anything :( I think we need a category 'Unknown' in the rarity list where we can put all the carts we don't know the manufacturer of....

I didn't get those games of Ebay btw, a co-worker of my father knew someone who knew someone etc etc etc and he was selling it. I took almost 5 weeks for the stuff to get here, but it was worth the wait. Bad thing is that the Assault box is missing the top-flap of the box but i'm not complaining. Some of those Colecovision games are actually pretty rare i just noticed...

Also, i might have found something else interesting, but i'll let you know when i get it :D

*still lurking* Heh, god knows how many weird carts we'll stumble upon and will get documented instead of fade away in some forum topic titled "has anyone seen this before?". Yay! I only wish I had the money to actively hunt down carts again. I had to refuse a great "first pick, the rest gets auctioned" from an ebay seller because of this. When I saw the auctions he had some really good stuff to sell. Oh well, I hope the tide will turn quickly. :sad:

• 2 weeks later...
Any chance you could post the names of the rarest PAL games at some stage so I can keep an eye out for them (I have no idea which are rare)

Pengo (black picture label, not the NTSC silver label version)

Any Video Gems games (though Surfer's Paradise and Missile Control are the more common of a rare lot)

Commavid games like Stronghold, Cakewalk etc.

General Retreat/Westward Ho (adult double ender... er... maybe I should rephrase that)

Any more, fellow contributors?

Any more, fellow contributors?

games you might have missed are:

- Complete 32-in-1 game (loose extremely common, but try finding a boxed one)

- Mangia is also rare, although not extremely rare...

Furthermore, there are a bunch of 'pirate' games which could potentially be very rare (although probably not very valuable). Also, there a number of PAL versions of certain games which might be rare, but I don't have enough info about them to draw any conclusions (i'm thinking of PAL Data Age games like Frankenstein's Monster, 20th Century MASH, some Telesys games etc. etc.)

Edit: i forgot, K-Tel/Funvision games (with the T-handle) are pretty hard to find too :)

Cheers,

Raymond

@Marco,

first a big hello to you. The Activision dealer display is already loaded with my Activision games and it looks fantastic. What`s the story you mentioned with the first Eurocon and this display? :D

Yeah, it's a great sight! We got the display stand for the official 1999 Activision Decathlon European Championships. Marc Oberhauser arranged the display along with a batch of Asteroids PC games from Activision Europe.

Did you guys ever came up with more info about the pirate conspiracy theorie you mentioned in the DPG #7 or is this the latest news?

Nope, we never persued that theory after writing it down :(

Cheers,

Marco

Not sure why you posted the link twice. :)

Yes, definitely - but I'd like the buyer to do it with a nice scan if possible...! :)

€82,00 though!!! That's a LOT for a pirate cart!