IGNORED

If Pepsi Invaders is now a 10, why isn't Off Your Rocker?

CPUWIZ

Good questions. I would bet there are more than Video Life, but fewer than Halloween. I think Off Your Rocker was available both from Pleasant Valley Video and from Renny Mitchell in Arizona for a while. Someone in Phoenix could probably ask whoever is running Renny's stores if Renny is still around. Maybe Jerry Greiner would have some insight too.

Have you opened one up to see if it is eprom or rom? As the story was told, these were production games that never had a label applied, so I would guess they are roms.

The only argument I can think of is that Pepsi Invaders was an official product from Atari that was distributed by Atari. OYR was not officially released by Amiga. OYR is very similar to the Donald Duck's Speedboat that was distributed by Best Electronics. Even though Donald was made with a ROM on a production board, it was never released by Atari with an Atari label. It was only sold through Best Electronics in a generic cartridge. I would say that if OYR is changed from a prototype to either a 9 or 10, that we would have to also consider those "prototypes" from Best as 9 or 10s also.

There is so little known about Confrontation, it is tough to say if it was ever "released" in any form. Since there is a ROM for the game, it at least was dumped at some point...but dumped from a prototype eprom or what?

Here is an explanation about why a manual for confrontation exists:

http://www.atariage.com/common/image.html?..._06221983_2.jpg

For those PGP-1 owners that sent in the evaluation, they received a free malagai game plus two flyers for other Answer Games. Presumably, those were the instructions for Gauntlet and Confrontation. That might even explain why Marco's Confrontation docs are folded in the middle...in order to fit in the mailing envelope. That could be the same reason CPUWIZ instructions are folded down the middle...to fit in a mailing envelope from Answer. So there might actually be more "flyers"/instructions for some games by Answer than actual carts.

Even the confrontation owned by Marco is a puzzle. It looks like an eprom, but it is in a cartridge shell different from Answer cartridges. The board has "Control Technology" copyright instead of Answer. It could be the original prototype of confrontation or an eprom burned by PVV.

I wouldn't mind making Off Your Rocker a 10 along with Dukes of Hazzard.  :ponder:  

Why's Confrontation listed as a prototype?  Shouldn't that also be a 10?

Ahh, yes, I forgot about Dukes. Although I believe it is only a 9, considering how many copies of it surfaced over the last years. It almost seems like they did a full production run on that game.

Confrontation is a weird one, does anyone besides Marco even have a copy? :ponder: I think Marco got his from William Z. but I am not 100% sure about that.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent in Confrontation a couple of years ago to be dumped. Mine came from Pleasent Valley Video. I was to when I bought it that the owner (Jim Redd) bought the rom chips from Answer and put them in cases. When the cart was dumped I was informed the it was a copy cart probally burned from the Prom Blaster. I did get a copy of the instructions.

I sent in Confrontation a couple of years ago to be dumped. Mine came from Pleasent Valley Video. I was to when I bought it that the owner (Jim Redd) bought the rom chips from Answer and put them in cases. When the cart was dumped I was informed the it was a copy cart probally burned from the Prom Blaster. I did get a copy of the instructions.

Thanks for the info, do you have a picture of your PCB by any chance? I'd love to see if it is a mask ROM or an EPROM. :)

• 1 month later...

I'd like to see Off Your Rocker made a 9 or a 10 myself, especially since I just bought one. :D I think you can make the same argument for it that you can for Pepsi Invaders - a real ROM as opposed to an EPROM, a finished program meant to be distributed as a cart that was only made in limited quantities, and enough of a quantity in existance to be more than what you'd call a prototype - not to mention a proto would have different versions but all the dumps of Off Your Rocker would be exactly the same.

Did you see the one that didn't meet reserve?  Cruddy label I know, but nobody won it so I offered the seller $85 and she accepted. :D

LOL, they all have cruddy labels. Mine is just a sticker that someone slapped across the cart and sloppily wrote the title on. That's a nice score for $85.00! Not having the game listed in the rarity guide has its advantages sometimes. :D

What R didn't say is that I consulted him about it, because I had no idea what they go for and was worried I had offered too much.  Little did I know. :lolblue:

Well I paid $100 for mine (which included the "manual") so for private rates, that was probably decent (given the label isn't exactly one for being easy to survive).