IGNORED

Quest for the Golden Chalice

Red 5

Just a simple question...

Without bashing Infogrames, France, or any sort of religious group...

Is this game still due to come out before Christmas?

The website hasn't been updated since September and I am really

looking forward to the game.

Last I heard there was a demo of it at the last show. Any new news?

@therealred5: It is difficult to explain exactly WHAT Adventure II/ Quest for the Golden Chalice's status is. Some invisible force seems to be conspiring to prevent the game from getting completed. And boy o boy, does the Cafeman EVER want to get this game finished and done with. :)

The Infogrames attack knocked the wind out of me. Had that whole thing not happened, I'd have been happily stealing time from work, obligations and sleep time buttoning it up. But ever since mid-September I've felt disgusted with the whole homebrew thing. I've lost my motivation.

The game will come out. The name is still up in the air -- there is talk still going on with the new Atari people. I need to know for SURE what I am safe to call the game and what I am permitted to do and the answers haven't all come back to me.

There is more to it though. We ran out of ROM space and had to re-work some of the game. This was unexpected extra work. Due to these changes, a couple of annoying glitches have popped up and I have been slowly slowly fixing these up. Once all the crap has been dealt with, I'll work on finishing (polishing) the game.

Thanks for the interest and the post. Inquiries like these help to motivate me to get back to our little project.

(_)3

Thanks for the interest and the post. Inquiries like these help to motivate me to get back to our little project.  

(_)3

Well don't give up on it Cafeman. I'll be one of the many buying a copy of your project no matter what it is called. I've been waiting eagerly to play it in it's completed glory ever since I played the first demo. Good luck no matter what occurs. :wink:

Oh man! TRUST ME there is mondo interest in this project! I can't think of anything Atari related that has more interest and anticipation surrounding its release.

If you need inquiries to help motivate you I can provide 2 a day until the project is finished. :D

Well I can tell you that 2005 is definetly going to be the year of the 5200. Trust me! Yes, we are finally going to see some 7800 games come out like Beef Drop and others but in 2005 the Atari 5200 is going to shine. You defintely want to be a part of that and have Quest for the Golden Chalice get finished. There are so many people that want to play this game.

In spite of all the gloom and doom we hear because of Infogrames actions, it's going to be a great year for the 5200 and for classic gaming in general. Lots of great stuff coming down the pipeline.

Allan

I've been looking forward to this one since I played it at the Austin Game Expo. But i'm debating whether I should get the 5200 version, or hold out for an XL/XE release. Playing the updated version at OKGE really drove home for me how bad the 5200's joysticks are. I know a lot of people like them, but I just don't like the non-centering analog control. And the fact that the controller crapped out on me in the middle of the game. If I get the 5200 version, i'll also have to buy the $50 Redemption controller. And then i'll finally be able to play the 15 or so Atari 5200 carts I have lying around, waiting on me to get a working controller.

So, will you release an Atari 8-bit cartridge at the same time as the 5200 cart?

SteveW, your experience at Austin sounds like an especially bad one. I have never had one of my controllers just crap out as I used it.

I do intend to port the game to A8 but it will be some time AFTER the 5200 version comes out. It seems that it is possible to directly port 5200 to A8 using Bryan's "method", with no bankswitching recoding. But I haven't gotten that far yet! If I have to re-code stuff, it'll take even longer but I'm assuming that is not necessary.

*makes mental note to talk to Mr. Castle Crisis again*

As soon as I fix up like 5 little glitches, I want to show a demo again. Maybe within a week or two?

(_)3

Cafeman,

i'm not a huge fan of the 5200, in fact the ONLY reason i did not sell my 5200 and set it up in my gameroom is because i want to play your game (whatever name you call it :wink: )

i may need to order 3, 1 for me, and 2 for some friends of mine. 8)

i had it demoing at CGE over a year ago and was blown away by it. even thou that was a very early demo. can't wait to PLAY the final product!! 8) 8)

Take Care,

Rick

Thanks for the update.

I wrote a previous thread about the games I am most excited for are Halo 2 and your game.

I think that what Halo 2 means for Xbox, your game is the equivelant for the 5200.

I have been blown away by the screenshots, but have not been lucky enough to play the demo yet.

Thanks for putting the time into this !

I was wondering if you could use the word adventure in the title if it were part of a sentence. I mean, you can't copywrite a common word, right?

Like:

"Another adventure"

"The continuing adventure of block man"

"Yellow Square has an adventure"

"The adventure where you find a glowing cup, avoid a bunch of dragons, and return it to a castle." (tough to fit on a label...)

Maybe AtarAge can sponsor a contest for the best name?

It would get more interest in the game (like it needs it...) and it would be fun.

Speaking for all the lurkers here (there must be hundreds), I am checking this board every day for news of this release; checkbook in hand.

Who cares what it is called. Just having a cool label with no title (like the Lucas Arts games, eh?) makes it even cooler for everyone in the know. Everyone knew it was still Prince releasing those records, right?

It would probably give the lawyers fits:

"Cease and desist producing this unnamed game."

"What game?"

"Um, we own the rights to untitled".

"The name Untitled, or the whole concept of having no title?

Personally, I think the name of the game should be "II".

I think that would be good marketing. After all, this is a long awaited sequel, right? Considering when Adventure came out, it would be the longest awaited game sequel ever released. It's so anticipated that you don't even have to say what its a sequel of. There's other sequels, and then there's the only sequel that matters: II

Now that's a good idea. And you can just put a big 2 on the title screen, everyone will know what it stands for anyway. :D  

Mitch

Amen. I don't even own a 5200 but i might track one down so I can play this game. It looks that good.

Speaking for all the lurkers here (there must be hundreds), I am checking this board every day for news of this release; checkbook in hand.  

Who cares what it is called. Just having a cool label with no title (like the Lucas Arts games, eh?) makes it even cooler for everyone in the know. Everyone knew it was still Prince releasing those records, right?

It would probably give the lawyers fits:

"Cease and desist producing this unnamed game."  

"What game?"  

"Um, we own the rights to untitled".  

"The name Untitled, or the whole concept of having no title?

poker_plus might deserve a free copy of the game for that one! :D