IGNORED

Beef Drop work in progress

kenfused

I have the only machine and CC2 in the world it works on!!!

I tried adding in a delay where I had messed one up where I turn off the screen.

Do I need to add more blank lines for PAL mode? Anyways, I added some more blank lines at the bottom to see how that does for PAL.

Fixed the bottom row of pixels on the pepper counts sometime flickering or acting weird.

Fixed the "O" on the title screen.

Let me know if this version does the same thing as the last version on other machines.

bd7800.zip

I tried this latest version on my main 7800 and it would crash to a black screen after the title screen. I tried it on my DevOS modded 7800 and it plays fine.

Ken, does your 7800 have the standard 7800 BIOS installed in it?

Mitch

It seems to be OK now, though I did notice that sometimes the sound for a new pepper will play when there is already one out. Is that supposed to happen?

Kepone, the reason it doesn't play right in MESS is because of a bug in MESS, if you try the Pitfighter proto it has the same problem. And a few other games as well.

Mitch

Well, I've got a testimonial for you KENFUSED!

My GF isn't much of a video game player and has some amusement at the fact that I own 9 video game consoles and something called a CUTTLE CART.

Well, last night, I showed her BEEF DROP and was telling her about how the Internet, the Home Brew contest and the Cuttle Cart all fit together to make new games for a 20 year old system. She laughed but when she started playing Beef Drop, she wouldn't leave my 7800 alone. She just kept playing and playing, making it to the fourth level.

So, you've addicted someone who isn't a video game addict. That says something!

This runs ok on my 7800+CC2, but I need to know how this works on others since I had to put back some of the code (modified) that I had disabled before to fix it for other ppl.

Well, it worked OK for me until I lost my last man, then it crashed to a black screen like before.

Mitch

Oh yeah!!..that new title screen is simply killer. Really starting to look like a 7800 released title now.

I assume the blank space at the bottom of the title screen will be used for the difficulty and player selections just on a standard 7800 game?

TIA sound still does that screetching bit from time to time but it could be MESS doing this. Also any thoughts more on the possibility of making the BD cart have a passtrough connector on the top of it that would allow us to plug a ballblazer or commando cart to the it to utilize the pokey instead of gutting the pokeys? I think that is the best option thus far suggested?

Also I had suggested to Ken in a PM about possible giving all the enemies yellow feet. The reason would be that he could use the third color on something else for them. Also is it possible to create a single set of feet sprites and have them all use the same feet sprite? That would be less space being used? Just some ideas. I am not a programmer and don't know the logistics of these, but thought it as a good possible way to save some space and make it easier to give the enemies more detail graphically.

You also bumped up the difficulty on this latest build. That last build was easy I felt and this newer build, the AI is way smarter. I can't trick them nearly as easily and they seem to have a good idea as to where I am headed and can block me off way easier. I like it...

TIA sound aside, this is an excellent port and I really looking forward to seeing this one in the AA store as the first fully released and produced 7800 homebrew. Yes it is still a homebrew as it is a port of a completely written from scratch game based on another game we all know.

Keem em coming Ken...I haven't used MESS this much in EONS!!

Tried this latest build on my CC2...

It didn't crash for me after I lost my last man. It just went back to the title screen.

The sound is good, but there is at least one off-note or two in the main music... Also, using two voices for the complete level tune is all muddy. The notes just don't jibe very well. It'd probably be better to just drop the background part of that tune.

I didn't find it much harder than the earlier build. I was able to play through all the levels for both.

One thing I hope you can fix is the slowdown. I'm pretty sure it's getting better, but it's definitely faster early in the level before the baddies come on screen.

Even with these little quirks, this is a cool game. :thumbsup:

Also any thoughts more on the possibility of making the BD cart have a passtrough connector on the top of it that would allow us to plug a ballblazer or commando cart to the it to utilize the pokey instead of gutting the pokeys? I think that is the best option thus far suggested?

I stongly dislike this option. I still think the best option is to have two versions, one with Pokey sound and one with TIA sound. Assuming that it won't cause problems for Ken in developement. That way people can pay the extra $$ if they want the better sound. You can buy Pokeys from Best Electonics, if they run out you just stop making the Pokey version.

Mitch

Mitch...why are you against the cart bypass option? It sounds like an excellent plan to me as Ken seems to think he can program it so that is can detect the presence of the POKEY onboard or not. If he can, he only has to create one version of the program and then the carts just have to be designed differently to allow another connector to be on the end like on the High score carts. I don't kow how the High Score cart cases were done, but I assume standard 2600 cases were used and then the tops cut out of them to make room for the end connector? I have never seen the high score cart up close to know how they did this.

It is up to Ken anyway. I do agree that the Pokey is an excellent choice overall. But I simply not liking the idea that Ball Blazers will be gutted and or the POKEY being purchased seperately. Besides last I checked, you can't just order one thing from Best Electronoics. You have to get so many of a particular item. Case in point, I once inquired about getting a new 7800 cart connector for my 7800. I was told they were fairly inexpensive, but that I had to buy like a dozen or else it wasn't worth it to sell. Pokeys may be different, but I can't see myself or anyone else buying a set number of Pokeys that we won't use. So...Ball Blazers get bought and gutted instead...

Personally, I don't know that the extra cost of the 7800 connector on the end of the cart will add that much more compared to the pokey or the overall ability to have pokey or not. To me, It is worth extra money for the game to have that ability alone.

8)

Mitch...why are you against the cart bypass option? It sounds like an excellent plan to me as Ken seems to think he can program it so that is can detect the presence of the POKEY onboard or not. If he can, he only has to create one version of the program and then the carts just have to be designed differently to allow another connector to be on the end like on the High score carts. I don't kow how the High Score cart cases were done, but I assume standard 2600 cases were used and then the tops cut out of them to make room for the end connector? I have never seen the high score cart up close to know how they did this.

It is up to Ken anyway. I do agree that the Pokey is an excellent choice overall. But I simply not liking the idea that Ball Blazers will be gutted and or the POKEY being purchased seperately. Besides last I checked, you can't just order one thing from Best Electronoics. You have to get so many of a particular item. Case in point, I once inquired about getting a new 7800 cart connector for my 7800. I was told they were fairly inexpensive, but that I had to buy like a dozen or else it wasn't worth it to sell. Pokeys may be different, but I can't see myself or anyone else buying a set number of Pokeys that we won't use. So...Ball Blazers get bought and gutted instead...

Personally, I don't know that the extra cost of the 7800 connector on the end of the cart will add that much more compared to the pokey or the overall ability to have pokey or not. To me, It is worth extra money for the game to have that ability alone.

8)

Well, the main reason I don't like passthrough carts is that they are a big pain to use. Not to mention the chances of accidentally bumping the tower and losing your game.

If the game is going to support a Pokey then it should be done properly with the Pokey being installed on the actualy cart. Best still has plenty of Pokeys last time I checked. When they raise the price then you know they are running low.

Buying a new Pokey from Best is the same price as buying a new copy of Ballblazer from O'Shea's. Unless whoever Ken gets to make the carts decides to reuse the Ballblazer boards instead of using new ones then there is no reason to gut Ballblazer carts in the first place.

As you said, though, it's really Ken's decision, I just wanted to voice my opinion. :)

Mitch

If the game is going to support a Pokey then it should be done properly with the Pokey being installed on the actualy cart. Best still has plenty of Pokeys last time I checked. When they raise the price then you know they are running low.

Buying a new Pokey from Best is the same price as buying a new copy of Ballblazer from O'Shea's. Unless whoever Ken gets to make the carts decides to reuse the Ballblazer boards instead of using new ones then there is no reason to gut Ballblazer carts in the first place.  

As you said, though,  it's really Ken's decision, I just wanted to voice my opinion. :)  

Mitch

I sorta recommeded a pass-thru as a joke (but probably doable) or if things ever became desperate. I am sure the edge connector, soldering envolved, modiications required for the cartridge shells and the complexity of routing the traces would easily be as much a problem as $5 for a pokey. It might be interesting if someone could make a passthru cart that just has RAM and a Pokey and the homebrews could require it or make it optional but that would probably only be worth it if the supply of Pokeys available is getting scarce. The best solution would probably to make two versions with and without a pokey and the board just wouldnt have a pokey added for the tia sound version.