Hoo, got a vectrex.

With these games:

Scramble complete

Cosmic Chasm complete

Clean Sweap complete

Starhawk and Berzerk no screen

Hyperchase no manual.

Only, the speaker buzz a little bit....

Is it normal? Is it the old power maybe.

If anybody got some games, I'd like to hear, or the screens.

Is there a good vectrex site?

Tia.

http://www.vectrexcarts.com/

I think Christian means this site.

You really should pick up Protector/YASI, though. You get two of the best Vectrex games ever made for under fifteen bucks... how can you go wrong?

As was stated earlier, the Vectrex does indeed buzz when it's turned on. You can limit the amount of noise it makes with a modification... I believe you have to move a wire away from the speaker, or something like that. I wouldn't recommend doing it, however, unless you've had lots of electronics experience, or just relish the thought of getting electrified by a cathode ray tube which hasn't had time to discharge.

JR

Thanks a lot, I might be going to get these cards.

Also Thanks for the info on the buzzing issue.

I still have one question though.

My controller is a bit lazy to the left and right, up and down it's alright, it feels like with a spring in it, but to the left and right not, it also stays there if I do it to the left or right.

Is this normal? and if not how to open the controller....

Thanks...

it also stays there if I do it to the left or right.  Is this normal? and if not how to open the controller....

You have control when moving left or right .. but it does not spring back to center? It is a broken spring .. People use the door spring out of a broken Atari 2600 cartridge and modify to fit the Vectrex pot. I did this when I first got a Vectrex.

Opening the Vectrex controller is an interesting challenge. There are five screws under the top overlay which has to be peeled back or cut through. I suggest looking at my tutoral on www.playvectrex.com.

With regard to the buzz .. that is part of the charm. If it bothers you .. people suggest putting clear plastic packaging tape over the speaker grill. I've been told that it cuts the buzz considerably.

Check out cool Vectrex stuff: www.vectrex.biz

Check out the Vectrex discussion at rec.games.vectrex newsgroup via google.com.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

With regard to the buzz .. that is part of the charm. If it bothers you .. people suggest putting clear plastic packaging tape over the speaker grill. I've been told that it cuts the buzz considerably.

I agree, the buzz is nothing once you get playing...

I love that suggestion tho!! I've heard it alot, and always thought it was hysterical.

Tape over the grill cuts the buzz.. :-) Yeah...

So does stuffing your ears with cotton. Much less buzz...

Putting on headphones and listening to DefLeopard at volume 9.. MUCH less buzz..

Using your Vectrex while sitting under the jet of a 747, buzz is virtually gone!!

:-) :-) :-)

desiv

I also just got my own Vectrex!

Curently own the system, star trek, blitz, scramble, web wars, and Hyperchase..

I'm tinkering with making some overlays on transparencies I've been reading about. i hope that goes well.

And thanks for that lnk earlier! I have to order a few games from there!

thanks!

Daniel

U guys are right, it doesn't bother, the buzzing, but I just needed to know if nothing is breaking down inside....

About the controller, I watched your tut Rob, I'm a bit afraid I won't get it back as nice as it was....

But it has to be done, in Hyperchase I go off, and then when I get back on, I get of course again right away, because the controller.....WAAAA

I need to do it....

Thanks for the info, and I'll ask some stuff about games lateron.

Oh, the "controls" (and I use that term loosely) for Hyperchase are WAY too over-sensitive. So if your controller works fine for everything else, then it's not the controller. ;)

Congrats on your purchase, and for other good homebrews, check out John Dondzila's site of www.classicgamecreations.com (seems to be down for the moment). Only one I can vouch for is Vecmania, as it's the only one of his that I have right now, but it's excellent!