IGNORED

vectrex mulit-cart?

d8thstar

hey guys, any idea where i can score a vectrex multi cart in time for the holidays?  sean kelly's site seems to be gone :(

Tony:

What you want is the VecFLASH cart. It allows you to transfer any number of many Vectrex games to the cart and then runs like a multicart on your Vectrex console. New games are coming out now: REVECTOR, Thrust, Other demos have been released in the last two months. WOTR binary was released last month.

The Kelly muticart is locked in time .. about 3+ years out of date at present.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

How many games fit on the VecFlash in its multicart function?

Depends. There are 15 banks of 32k flash memory. So 32k games take up one bank each. But there are 32k multicart BINs like Vecmania (2 banks- 4 games each) or Vectopia. And Alex Herbert recompiled many of the original Vectrex games into two 32k banks. So conceivably you could have up to maybe 30 games on your VecFLASH cart.

Also you do not have to OFF/ON the Vectrex console to change games with the VecFLASH. You do have to OFF/ON the console to change games on the Kelly Multicart. Plus even though Sean Kelly has stated that he would upgrade the multicart when returned to him, he hasn't updated his list of games in 3 years.

I don't mean to be so negative on Kelly's multicart. It was a great item when there were no others. But I sold mine when I got the VecRAM cart (one game at a time). Now I own the VecFLASH cart too .. but I use my VecRAM cart more than any other because it works with my palmtop which has all the BINs on it!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

If you (or anyone else) is interested, let me know.

I've got one, fairly recent (less than 2 years). Good shape. Clean, not used too much.

And I've been happy with it, but as has been said, the VacFlash is tempting.

It doesn't have all the games on it at one time, but I don't mind loading games, so I've been thinking about jumping for a VecFlash.

Also, about every 6 months, I try to convince myself I should try to write a Vec game, and if I ever actually do (doubtful, but who knows..) the VecFlash would suit me better.

I'm not looking for eBay auctioning or anything (Super Rare SK MultiCart!!! :-) ) like that.

I like my cart, but am considering switching...

desiv