IGNORED

No one loves Apple ][?

Dr. Van Thorp

From the WEB

A later revision of the motherboard, known as the ROM 3 had a number of significant changes: more ROM (256K vs 128K) on the motherboard, more (1MB vs 256K) RAM on the motherboard, different capabilities for the internal slots, better support for the disabled, and a cleaner motherboard which can result in quieter sound support. The extra ROM allows more parts of the system software to be accessed from there, which allows a ROM 3 to boot and run GS/OS and GS/OS programs slightly faster than a ROM 01. (The two have identical toolbox functionality from the programmer's standpoint, however.)

~zen

However, even though the motherboard was different -- from these users point of view there was very little actual noticeable difference between the two. Any toolbox firmware differences were hidden by the software. In fact, the ROM 01 is more compatible with many older software titles that bypassed the toolbox.

i was out of the apple world by the time the iigs came out...always wanted to get one since then, have not been able to find one. I'd like to get one and put all my floppys on hard drive or at least 3.5's that would work wouldn't it? :ponder:

You can archive them to your harddrive, but you'd have to decompress the archives to either a floppy or a RAM disk or run it on an emulator in order to make use of a lot of it... though there are a few things that can run off of hard disk a lot of GS specific games can't. There is a utility though for IIgs, I can't remember what it's called, that can allow you to run single disk DOS 3.3 applications and games directly from disk images..multi disk games still have to run off floppy. As far as IIgs games, it's easier to just run from floppy.

There are a few places listed in the Apple 2 FAQs that sell new Double Density floppies, so at the very least you can back your things up to new floppies that will work on the real thing. Personally I've bought a couple hundred DS/DD disks from this place with no problems.

And there's no doubt about it, the IIgs is the easiest Apple II to get software up and running on... lots of 'gs only file utilites.

I found a IIgs Woz edition mint awhile back, and spent a year (on and off) transferring software from the net down to actual floppies. It was a pain in the neck. I used a pc program called Transmac to transfer the disk images to a mac disk, transfer that to my ancient 68k mac, which had the Apple II disk extension installed, and then transferred it over to the apple and wrote the file to an actual disk. I now have just about everything ever made for the system. I've actually found a couple of other IIgs since, so I have a nice collection of peripherals and disk drives. It's a very sleek little classic computer, and I love using it. The only thing I am missing is a hard drive interface. Oh, and the games are great too. I guess you can call me a convert :D