IGNORED

Any interest in a "secret-santa" type contest?

Brad2600

I had an idea that I found on another board but I thought it would be a cool thing for this board also.

Why not have a secret santa contest?

AA members could make out their "wish lists", set up a price cap on the gifts and set a deadline. You would email your "wish list" to the person in charge and they will compile your address as well and then send it to another participant who would then have to give you something and visa-versa.

I'm not sure if it would work but I wanted to start this thread to ask. It's already the middle of November so it may be too late for an idea like this.

Any interest, folks?

I think it's a cool idea and would be a lot of fun.. Certainly we have enough members here who'd probably participate to make it worthwhile. I don't know that I have enough time to manage such an endeavor right now, so someone else would probably have to step up to the plate. However, I'd be glad to promote it by creating a page describing the Secret Santa contest as well as post some news about it on the front page of AtariAge. And of course I'd participate as well. :)

..Al

I had an idea that I found on another board but I thought it would be a cool thing for this board also.

Kepone,

are you ashamed of browsing the Digital Press forums? I don't think anyone's going to cause you harm for using our name..

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45525

For the record, it's a great way to build your community. We've been doing it for years and it gets bigger and better every year.

Give it a shot!

Kepone,

are you ashamed of browsing the Digital Press forums? I don't think anyone's going to cause you harm for using our name..

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45525

For the record, it's a great way to build your community. We've been doing it for years and it gets bigger and better every year.

Give it a shot!

Not at all. I think it's a good idea but if there's no interest here, it's all good. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm also participating in the DP secret santa thing too. Anything to build a stronger community. :D

Sounds good to me, I'm clearing out my 2600 collections as I'm not really into collecting 2600, just the games I consider to be fun.

Since a wish list might not work well (I mean almost everyone wants Air Raid for example) why not submit an have list for a system or 2 and let thge secret santa find something not on the have list?

That can be done too.

I'm sure it would be tricky, but I'm willing to give it a shot at running should this contest have enough interest.

And yes, you can post links to your collections where your secret santa can see if there's anything you're missing. Of course, the person in charge takes care of that part.

Me and z28 will be happy to each participate as well. And if you need a volunteer/ sucker I may be interested since I', at home more but before I say yes I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

- Will the gifts only be atari/video game related items and will there be a limit as to how many AA members can sign up?

- Also there would have to be a certain time frame by which everyone has to register, everyones wish list has to be submitted & everything would have to be shipped.

- As far as address information how would that be handled as well as international members,since I know shipping can get pricy.

- I just wouldn't want the price cap to be more then 20$ or end up w/ some really obscure wish list items. How many items per person's list - 3?

- When the "package is recieved in the mail who will the sender be from "secret santa" and no return address in which case people would need to keep their shipping receipt?

I have never done one of these before....can you tell?

So basically 1 person would be in charge of setting up a master list of names & pulling random members names "out of a hats" to match up with who they would be buying a gift for. This mystery person would also be the only one to know who is giving who presents,as well as what people asked for on their list... unless someone tells.

**** Will this person also not be held liable if someone renigs on the deal or stuff gets lost in the mail or people change their minds on participating or if people say they that their gift isnt exactly what they wanted?**** :ponder:

I like the idea of all members involved to submit a few/3 or so items to chose from even if they aren't all atari/game related common items even a belt or wallet or dvd/vhs movie something like that... this way they would be easier to find. Some things that can be found at almost any WalMart/Kmart/EB or Gamestop or even gift certificates to stores. Items that you could go almost anywhere and find.

Nothing personal but I wouldn't go through lists of people collections. Nor have to scour second hand shops to try and find that item. I also wouldn't have to ask other AA members if they have a certain cart for sale.

I like the idea of all members involved to submit a few/3 or so items to chose from even if they aren't all atari/game related common items even a belt or wallet or dvd/vhs movie something like that... this way they would be easier to find. Some things that can be found at almost any WalMart/Kmart/EB or Gamestop or even gift certificates to stores. Items that you could go almost anywhere and find.

Nothing personal but I wouldn't go through lists of people collections. Nor have to scour second hand shops to try and find that item. I also wouldn't have to ask other AA members if they have a certain cart for sale.

I want a Crazy Climber box though. :sad:

Me and z28 will be happy to each participate as well. And if you need a volunteer/ sucker I may be interested since I', at home more but before I say yes I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

- Will the gifts only be atari/video game related items and will there be a limit as to how many AA members can sign up?

They do not have to be Atari-only. Can also be any other classic game system.

- Also there would have to be a certain time frame by which everyone has to register, everyones wish list has to be submitted & everything would have to be shipped.

Yes, there would be a certain timeframe. I am not sure if there is enough time to do something like this though. Would likely have to set up a deadline for people to sign up by and then hope they send their want/wish lists by a certain deadline and then they will be assigned a person.

As far as address information how would that be handled as well as international members,since I know shipping can get pricy.

The person must provide a valid address, no matter where they are. Also, if international users participate, then they will have to be able to pay for shipping..same goes for someone here who gets a secret santa from another country. If you don't think you can handle it, don't participate.

- I just wouldn't want the price cap to be more then 20$ or end up w/ some really obscure wish list items. How many items per person's list - 3?

As many items as the person wishes to send. I would say, no more than $25 should be spent but if you want to spoil your secret santa, you're welcome to. Also, think of it as a good way to get rid of common games that you may not be able to sell, provided your secret santa could use those games.

- When the "package is recieved in the mail who will the sender be from "secret santa" and no return address in which case people would need to keep their shipping receipt?

The person would find out who their secret santa is once the package arrives. Until then, they must keep it confidential. If you tell people who your secret santa is, you will be disqualified.

I have never done one of these before....can you tell?

So basically 1 person would be in charge of setting up a master list of names & pulling random members names "out of a hats" to match up with who they would be buying a gift for. This mystery person would also be the only one to know who is giving who presents,as well as what people asked for on their list... unless someone tells.

Yes, this is correct. If I were to run this, I probably would not participate myself. Confidentality is the key to making this work.

**** Will this person also not be held liable if someone renigs on the deal or stuff gets lost in the mail or people change their minds on participating or if people say they that their gift isnt exactly what they wanted?****  :ponder:

When you decide to participate, you accept all risks and conditions. It's the thought that counts and you never know what you might get from a secret santa. If people change their minds, a deadline will be set so as long as it's before the deadline, it's ok. Basically, if this is not your type of thing, you do not have to particpate.

I hope I have answered your questions. :D

Since a wish list might not work well (I mean almost everyone wants Air Raid for example) why not submit an have list for a system or 2 and let thge secret santa find something not on the have list?

I can answer that question :) This is the third year I've played matchmaker for Secret Santa on the Digital Press forums, and from this experience I've learned one thing:

EVERYONE knows what games they WANT and can tell you right off the bat; not everyone has an exact list of what games they have readily available :)

It's great when people include lists or links to their collections (and really helps their Santas), but it's easier to ask what they need.

• 1 month later...

I would have done it if I found out about it earlier. There's always next year. How about you all just get me a birthday present instead?! LOL!

Let me get this straight.. if we do a secret santa thing next year can I ask for things most people would be embarassed to buy?! LOL! Blow up dolls, etc. LOL! I wouldn't do that but would be funny.