IGNORED

Man Goes Down Label Contest

Albert

ManGoesDownContest.jpgMan Goes Down--no it's not rude, just an accurate description of the gameplay. You see, you control this little guy, negotiating platforms that continuously scroll up the screen. Get pushed off the top or fall off the bottom and it's game over. There's fruit and other goodies to collect along the way to help you on your journey down. There are 12 different items to collect in all!

AtariAge and Man Goes Down author Alex Herbert are sponsoring a contest to create original label artwork for Man Goes Down. This label artwork will appear on all copies of Man Goes Down, which will be available in the AtariAge Store shortly after the contest. The winner will receive a copy of Man Goes Down, as well as an AtariVox Speech Module, which the game optionally supports. For complete details on how to enter, please visit the Man Goes Down Label Contest page.

What do you guys normally do to get those perfect Atari-like fonts and so on? Seems like a big pain unless you have some expensive software.

We have a whole page of Atari-style fonts here:

Atari Cartridge and Box Fonts

If I was smart, I'd actually link to these from the contest pages. :)

..Al

Oh yeah. I saw that page once, but I forgot about it. Thanks.

Yayy another label contest! Maybe I can pull it off this time :-) This looks like a really creative idea for a game too. Too bad all of our good friends back in 1982 werent graced with such an awesome looking title!

- Justin

Yayy another label contest! Maybe I can pull it off this time :-) This looks like a really creative idea for a game too. Too bad all of our good friends back in 1982 werent graced with such an awesome looking title!

I look forward to seeing your submissions for this contest, I really enjoyed your Krokodile Cart entries. :) Been a while since we've done a contest for a 2600 game, the last one was for Backfire, and that was over a year ago..

..Al

If I had better software, I might try. If you don't have the tools and skill to do the kind of quality seen below, it seems like a waste of time. I need to get a graphics tablet and something better to work with than the crap I have now.

post-13-1101196512_thumb.jpg

I've played MGD for hours, but not having the voice module, I have no idea what it "says." Would someone in the know provide a list of some of the voice messages? I suspect they might have an effect on the tone of the game and I want to get my label design right. =)

He says that the voices in there now are preliminary until he is finished with the gameplay. But for now it says...

"AtariVox" (this is whenever you turn it on, and not from the game)

"Man Goes Down"

"The humanoid must not escape"

"(burp sound)"

"Ouch"

"Game Over"

"NTSC"

"PAL 60"

"PAL"

I just noticed the green arrows below 6V DC and RS232 disappeared. Any idea why? :?

The above label was the winning label, but was modified a bit for its final form as it'll appear on the cart. The Atari logo was removed, the "Flash Cartridge" text was changed, the carts inside the jacket were changed, and the arrows were added. The final versin of the cart is here:

modified_winner.jpg

..Al

The burp, at least, settles one question....but how does he get the skateboard into bite-sized chunks? Is there a bandsaw power-up? Thanks! =)

I rode the skateboard one time for a couple of seconds before I fell to my death. I think this is one of the better newer games even though it still seems like something is missing. The animation for the guy is better than almost anything I've seen on the Atari 2600.

I rode the skateboard one time for a couple of seconds before I fell to my death. I think this is one of the better newer games even though it still seems like something is missing. The animation for the guy is better than almost anything I've seen on the Atari 2600.

Definitely! I was really impressed. Is the source available? I want to know how. =)

it still seems like something is missing

:?

The last version of the game I played was fun for what was there, but it still seems like it's missing something. You know how you feel when you play a great classic game? Like there's nothing much you'd change? It seems complete just the way it is? Also reminds me of music. Some songs sound great from beginning to end, totally complete and satisfying, while other songs have bits you like, but the song just doesn't sound complete yet, like they still had a little more work or polishing to do on it. This game seems like that to me so far, but that's just me. Still doesn't change the fact that the little guy looks great.