IGNORED

making labels for homebrews .. info request...

wrenchien

can anyone tell me which font(S) are used for the various activision, atari 2600, and imagic carts ?

as well as if there are any programs permitting you to create and design atari labels without any major paint programs?

because i want to make a mockup game design for a game idea i had just now..

i had an idea for a cart label and a game where you wandered for bottles of rare soda in a maze, and you had to avoid walls and moving barriers... and maybe even guards in the later levels..

and if you ran out of time you quite literally went ape.

i wanted to call the homebrew 'soda run' if i ever got skilled enough to make a game..

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, after doing lots of research based on the scans in the AA archives, I've found that Sears used no less than 5 font variations (for game titles alone!) on their "Video Arcade System" 2600 clone cartridges, boxes and manuals.

I've also managed to absolutely identify 3 of them-

Font #0: from the "TANK-PLUS" box scan, the title is in Hammer Fat (same as the "ATARI" logo and early Atari text labels) and additional text is in Bauhaus (probably Demibold). Bauhaus Demi (not Mumbo SSK Bold - see last paragraph below) was used on later Atari text label carts, so it should be familiar too. This is the only place I saw this combination, which is why I call it #0 - it doesn't really fit with the others. Atari also used Hammer Fat (perhaps lighter weights for some titles) on some of their early boxes.

post-6315-1115524738_thumb.jpg

From http://bowfinprintworks.com/BauhausFaces6B.html

Font #1 & 2: Used on most Sears text label carts and most smaller text on box & manual fronts, Blippo Bold. The first version has the weird slanted but almost-straight "S". The second version replaces only that "S" with a more normal-looking version. This font was widely available for phototypesetting in the '70s and included several alternate glyphs (shape elements). This explains the two different S's. Unfortunately, as far as I can discover this font has never been faithfully digitized with all glyphs. There are other weights of Blippo available, but they all have open loops (or "bowls" for you font experts). Blippo Heavy is sometimes renamed as "bold" but the open loops keep it from matching. However, there is a Windows truetype font called "Graphics" which is a fairly faithful copy of the "slanted S" version of Blippo Bold.

post-6315-1115524252_thumb.jpg

From http://bowfinprintworks.com/BauhausFaces6.html

Note the numbering error- glyphs for "q" should be (no #) and "2", not "3" and "4".

Font #3: Used on a few later text labels and few early picture labels, this font looks like a bold or heavy weight version of Rondalo with the "N" and "W" replaced by the arched versions borrowed from Blippo Bold, and the "S" from some other font (or perhaps created by Sears).

Font #4: Used on late text and most picture labels. Very similar to font #3, only now the "N" and "W" are the pointy ones from Rondalo - the "S" is still foreign. Online in .TTF format I can only find the regular weight of Rondalo, and it appears to be a homemade version from scans or something - some glyph shapes are slightly deteriorated with uneven stroke widths and interior angles slightly rounded. Maybe this font can be found as a more geometrically perfect version with a different name?

post-6315-1115525453_thumb.jpg

From http://fonts.goldenweb.it/pan_file/l/en/fo.../r/default.html

One really weird thing to note, is that Sears often used 2 or even 3 of the fonts on the same box or manual. For example, the game title would be font #1 with the slanted "S", while the smaller text about game variations and number of players might use font #2 with the normal "S". The "TELEGAMES" logo was always in font #1 right up until they changed it to the segmented style. It's also common to find the game name in font #3 with the arched "N", while the smaller text uses font #4 with the pointy "N". Same thing with cart labels - you might see different fonts used on the main and end labels of the same cartridge, or even fonts #3 and #4 both on the main label (look for the arched "N" in "SEARS ROEBUCK AND CO.")

I tried to attach Graphics.ttf and Rondalo_.ttf but they didn't show up, can we only attach pictures? [EDIT: fonts attached in .zip file in post #8 below] Here are links, including a very good clone of the font used by Imagic:

Graphics.ttf

Rondalo_.ttf

Imagica_.ttf wrenchien asked about the Imagic font, this is an excellent re-creation. [EDIT: I recently discovered that the original font used by Imagic is called "Company", made by Letraset. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available in any digital version besides "Imagica" yet. It sure would be nice to have the full character set!] This font was also used for the title of Entombed on the box and cart main label.

Re: MumboSSK Bold, this is a deteriorated clone of Bauhaus Demibold, which is the actual font used on the later Atari text label carts (it replaced Hammer Fat). Baha Bold is nearly identical to MumboSSK Bold. There are probably more clones of the Bauhaus family than any other font. Other names to look for include Bahamas and Bimini. If you can't find Bauhaus Demi, look for Bahamas Bold or Bimini Bold - one of them will probably match what you need. Mumbo SSK Bold or Baha Bold can be used in a pinch, but be aware that the letters are slightly deformed, with stroke widths that vary where they shouldn't, lines that should be straight have slight curves, curved lines are distorted, etc.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I tried to attach Graphics.ttf and Rondalo.ttf but they didn't show up, can we only attach pictures?
You have to put everything else into .ZIP files.

847423[/snapback]

Thanks! It sure would be nice to get an error message saying that when one tries to do something different...

Anyway, here's the .ZIP, in case any of the links above die.

Sears_ImagicFonts.zip

http://www.8bitclassics.com/index.php?cPath=24_28_140

I sell blank laser / inkjet sheets. Currently have only laser but have tested somewhat on inkjet's and worked fine. Main benefit for laser printing is ink won't run and I feel it gives you a sharper image. I also do printing. Labels come with 4 top and end labels and have templates in Photoshop.

Go to http://www.8bitclassics.com for label examples on the site news area on the main page(also check the 2600/5200/7800 label threads at AtariAge). Forums are currently under construction as I changed software, but do have high quality labels available for viewing. I have used the templates to recreate original labels along with requested homebrew labels like Q*Bert for the 7800, Pac-Man Plus for 5200 and Hangly Man for the 5200. Labels work for the 2600/5200/7800 also.

I have had a few orders, do a search on 8bitclassics for couple of them here. One was a guy wanted a replacement Pac-Man label for his 2600 cartridge that he converted to usb memory key. Another wanted a Double Dragon label done under the standard Atari 7800 cartridge.

Last, for more examples of my work, check out the Go Fish! label contest for the Atari 2600. I have couple listed under the forum thread. They haven't been posted yet on the Go Fish! contest page.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via IM or at my site.

Thanks,

Corey

• Like 1

Update: Found another font that's a copy of Blippo Bold for any of us wanting to re-create the look of the early Sears text labels:

Brandish_Regular.ttf

Brandish Regular is a bit different from Graphics.ttf: The letters are bigger, slightly lighter in weight, with slightly greater letter spacing. It has fewer punctuation glyphs and some of them that are present are way off, but at least there's no glitch in the "D", and the "9" is really a "9" and not a "6"!

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I do, I do.  Actually I have many :)  I have the black picture label, black text label, silver label, 5200 label, and 7800 label.  They are huge though, actual label size at 300DPI in CMYK.  I can zip them up and send you the links or email you which ever one you want. 

Corey

851526[/snapback]

Hi! I'm interested in your photoshop template zip. If you could provide me a link, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Data Age cart fonts:

Title on end = Lubalin Graph Bold

Players, controllers & other text = Univers or Zurich, bold condensed italic or bold extra condensed

I know I'm coming into this years late but do you know what fonts were used on the CBS Electronics games cart boxes and labels? I'm looking at a 5200 Wizard Of War game box and I'm not sure what the font is for the yellow game title. There's also a separate font for "CBS Electronics" and also "For the ATARI 5200" and the text on the back. The title for the Mountain King cart I have seems to be in a different font, were those fonts different for each game? I'm most interested in the Wizard Of War font. Thanks for tracking all these down, made for a fun Google search for some of those.

• 9 years later...
On 2/15/2010 at 10:27 PM, ledzep said:

I know I'm coming into this years late but do you know what fonts were used on the CBS Electronics games cart boxes and labels? I'm looking at a 5200 Wizard Of War game box and I'm not sure what the font is for the yellow game title. There's also a separate font for "CBS Electronics" and also "For the ATARI 5200" and the text on the back. The title for the Mountain King cart I have seems to be in a different font, were those fonts different for each game? I'm most interested in the Wizard Of War font. Thanks for tracking all these down, made for a fun Google search for some of those.

Tis a shame you posted years late. And I am now posting 10 years after your post. Apparently, all the old 2600 fogeys in this thread passed on some time ago and can't help you. Unfortunately, neither can I ;)

• 1 year later...
On 5/1/2005 at 2:59 AM, A.J. Franzman said:

Imagica_.ttf wrenchien asked about the Imagic font, this is an excellent re-creation. [EDIT: I recently discovered that the original font used by Imagic is called "Company", made by Letraset. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available in any digital version besides "Imagica" yet. It sure would be nice to have the full character set!] This font was also used for the title of Entombed on the box and cart main label.

https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/martinwait/company/

It would appear that Martin Wait has recreated the Company font and it's available for $26.  It includes the lowercase letters that the Imagica font does not.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:52 PM, Nathan Strum said:

Well, I was going to wait another ten years... but the main title font for Wizard of Wor is Bauhaus Heavy. The CBS Electronics font is Rockwell.

Hahaaha, thank you.  I already had those but didn't realize that they worked for the CBS boxes.