IGNORED

Game Ideas: Prince of Persia & Jet Pac 2600

moderntimes99

Hi!

There are two games that I think might suit the Atari 2600 quite well but that I have seen so little discussion about in this forum that I thought I should post a few lines - namely Prince of Persia and Jet Pac.

Prince of Persia has relatively simple graphics (I am thinking H.E.R.O. style here) and few sprites, OK the different rooms would take up some memory, but theoretically this could be a workable title more advanced even than Pitfall II. There was a version for CGA on the PC that maybe could be used as a graphical blueprint.

Jet Pac on the other hand was an old favorite of mine on the Vic 20 +8K (also for the ZX Spectrum 16K), which essentially is a cross between Joust and a shoot'em up. Very simple background although quite a few sprites.

Lately a quite successful homebrew version was made for the Gameboy Colour...

Anyone that wants to accept the challenge to transfer any of these two to the 2600?

Best regards,

Moderntimes99

POP would be hard to do on the 2600. At least a version similar to the one I have on the PC. But I'd be curious to see what someone comes up with.

Remember, the animation for POP was done using a technique called rotoscoping. Kind of how they do it in FPS military games now. They film actors then draw images on the computer to replicate the fluid animation. Each character would take up alot of frames per pose. I believe the hopping position is the smallest of the group, with three or four frames of animation. Others have close to 6 or 8 frames for each pose.

The second problem, I think, would be trying to fit the scenes on one screen. Each scene of a map (level) takes up too much room to fit on the TV screen.

If anyone is serious about doing this, I have all the POP movements/poses in bitmap format. I can email you a zip of them. Then you could try and convert them to the atari. I also have jpgs of all the map levels if anyone is interested. I downloaded them a while ago from some POP internet site.

I believe the PC version was done using tiles, I'd have to look, but that was a way we use to draw quick scenes back in the day. Maybe someone could do something similar on the 2600.

"If anyone is serious about doing this, I have all the POP movements/poses in bitmap format."

I'll take em. My email is adamctierney@hotmail.com. I have no doubt I could do them justice in 2600 limitations. :)

- Adam

I emailed all the bmp movement files for the main player.

I was getting some errors on my email account, let me know if you did not get it.

Tadaa!

pop_test.gif

^ jump :: stand :: climb :: stab (w/ball for sword)

The key is that to have enough area for long jumping legs, etc. you've really got to limit his height. But in a way that actually adds to the charm of it because he becomes this tiny little silhouette of a man like the original games were. I am positive I could make some kickassed little animations off the model if a coder gets interested in the idea.

- Adam

Tadaa!

pop_test.gif

^ jump :: stand :: climb :: stab (w/ball for sword)

The key is that to have enough area for long jumping legs, etc. you've really got to limit his height. But in a way that actually adds to the charm of it because he becomes this tiny little silhouette of a man like the original games were. I am positive I could make some kickassed little animations off the model if a coder gets interested in the idea.

- Adam

That's some great stuff there! Can you put together one animation, say of him running, with the files I gave you? I'd be curious to see what it would look like and if the smooth animation can be replicated. Like an animated gif of it, or something like that.

If someone does decide to do it, I believe I have all the tiles needed to recreate the levels. But the tiles would have to be converted also. Lot of work.