IGNORED

Game Idea: Reversi Attack 2600

yuppicide

Someone suggested I make some "mockup screens" of what my Atari game would look like. Now, I'm no graphic artist.. nor am I sure what the 2600 is capable of, but here's the idea for my first game:

Game Name: Reversi Attack

Idea: Yuppicide 2002 or 2003 (I forget)

Title screen: I have yet to create a title screen since I am not good at graphics. I figure a normal looking Reversi then a cool looking Attack. Maybe it would be flashing or something and say @2005.

Main Menu: This is where you can set your options. You can play 1 player or two. You can select from 2 or 3 computer skills levels. You can play "one game wins" or "best out of three games wins". The game is also to have some music, maybe a secret keypress to get to a secret screen where it will say hi to my friends.

Screenshot 1: Here you see normal gameplay going on. Looks like Othello.

ra1.jpg

Screenshot 2: When you flip over so many enemy pieces you get to attack them with different powerups. Here's you see the person about to attack:

ra2.jpg

Screenshot 3: Black is attacking white with a bomb! Told you I can't draw well! You can position the bomb anywhere you want and it will destroy the space you put it on and randomly destroy a few spaces around it. In this case, black is hoping it will also kill off a few white around it.

bomb.jpg

Screenshot 4: White is attacking with a tornado (okay okay I stole the graphic from the game Taz)! You can pick a row to drop the tornado on and it will sweep across the board, randomly mixing pieces up.

tornado.gif

Anyway, I said it before, but I am willing to pay people to design the game for me. Of course I'd like a better bomb. The bomb fuse would be animated also I suppose.

I have more game ideas that I'll post later..

If the graphics aren't working for you visit here:

Well, the problem is, the graphics aren't working for the 2600.

Before creating mockups, maybe you should try to understand the limitations of the 2600. Else it will become quite frustrating.

Check this (e.g. the erarly "salstadt" threads) or the Programming for Newbies forum.

Programming issues aside, the additions to classic reversi that you propose seem sort of nebulus. You use phrases like "some number" and so on. Let's put aside the issue of what can or can't be done on the VCS. Something could be done even if it doesn't match your mockups exactly. The question I have is: "Is this game going to be any fun?" Can you write down the rules, and play test them on real world implementation of the game. Is it any fun to play? How many squares should "some number" be? Also is it going to unbalance game play if the player flips a large number of pieces and then gets rewarded for it by getting to anihilate or flip even more pieces. It seems that the first player to earn a power up may get an advantage that the other player who gets doubly slammed may not be able to overcome.

Get the rules of the game down on paper. Playtest the game on paper and make sure it is fun. Then and only then, do you need the services of a programmer to make it into a video game.

Cheers!

I have everything ready to go for most of my games. The programmer comes into play because I can't do it. I mean, you said my "Maze Maniac" game or whatever it would be called didn't have the ideas down either when they were all totally planned out exactly.

The mockup screen is just that.. a mockup because I don't know what is possible to do on the 2600, so it'll be modified accordingly, which is fine, but the game play will be there.

I'm actually working on a website sort of like Miniclip. It's much easier to get someone to code you a flash game than a 2600 game. Though it's not my first choice or love in the end it'll be more popular and successful. People will be able to play the demo version free online and the full version with extra features, high scores, etc will cost a few dollars.. as opposed to places like Miniclip which can charge $14.95 even $19.95 for a game.

I have everything ready to go for most of my games. The programmer comes into play because I can't do it. I mean, you said my "Maze Maniac" game or whatever it would be called didn't have the ideas down either when they were all totally planned out exactly.

I agree your maze maniac idea is more complete. Please don't take my posts as me saying what you are trying to do is a bad idea. I am simply trying to help you. The more pre-planning and thought you can put into your ideas, the more likely it is that a programmer will become interested in the project.

Cheers!

No.. not at all man. I understand where you are coming from. You were right about that you shouldn't reward something for flipping over so many.. the other person should get that as a retaliation.

As for the Maze Maniac idea.. it's fully complete. I just don't have the resources to do so.

I agree your maze maniac idea is more complete. Please don't take my posts as me saying what you are trying to do is a bad idea. I am simply trying to help you. The more pre-planning and thought you can put into your ideas, the more likely it is that a programmer will become interested in the project.

Cheers!