IGNORED

The Gunfight Label Contest winner is...

Cybergoth

Hi there!

I'm not sure if this is my first posting here, but strange enough, I found that I already had an account here, when I tried to register

Ok, I'm Manuel Polik, in case you're wondering...

Oh boy, you've given me such a hard time choosing the winner.

To be honest, when started this, I was expecting 3-4 so-so entries and an ok one.

But not _that_!! I was stunned, thrilled, overwhelmed, all at the same time, when the first entries arrived and still am

My first thought was, 'shit, I'll take them all'. But then I needed only one label and had only one first prize.

But believe it or not, I managed to reward _all_ entries!

Read on...

To choose the winner, I did the following: I printed all entries in target (label) size on a laser printer. Then I placed them all over the floor.

I checked if everything required was on the label & sorted out a few, which unfortunately weren't readable enough. Then I sorted some out, where colors weren't contrasting good enough, rendering parts of the label almost invisible or similar.

Second run I sorted out labels, which in my opinion didn't match the game in one or another way. I just felt they didn't 100% represent it.

I again laid out the remaing ~10 labels. Then I took turns with my girlfriend (giving the descisson a female touch ), removing one entry after another, more or less on our personal taste only.

I removed one, she removed one...

Last three were: Brian G., Jay Prince & David Exton #1

I removed one, she removed one...

Tada! -> There it was, the winning label: ->David Exton #1

Congratulations!

What'll happen now is the following: The cartridge will get assembled & shipped to me. I'll then create a unique one-of-a-kind package & ship it to the winner!

But wait! I said _all_ entries are rewarded, right?

Ok, I really, really, really wanted to reward all entries, but how?

I finally had an idea. I asked Hozer Video Games the following:

"Would it be possible to allow every contestant to buy cartridges flying _their_ label?"

And the answer was YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hozer Games will soon receive a big package, with all your submissions & a list of names. Everybody on this list can exclusively order Gunfight cartridges with _his_ selfmade label!

Ok, dropped the bomb!

I really hope now that nobody is mad or angry at me, because I didn't choose another entry.

Every one's a winner, really, but I had to choose one!

Greetings,

Manuel Polik

P.S.: Gunfight can be ordered on cartridge from Hozer Video Games -> NOW!

--

Well, that was surely a very hard choice. So many great labels:) Nevertheless, I think you have made a very good choice, Manuel. The artwork is very nice and the main colors of the landscape within the game (yellow and green) is well represented.

Can't await to get a copy from Hozer.

Best,

Marc

All the lables were awesome. But I think the right choice was made. I also really liked Davids other label with the tombstone, and several others I had listed earlier. Too bad there couldn't have been more than one winner. Or the option to buy multiple copies with different lables!! Congrats DAVID!!

Oh my god!! er....I'm Dave Exton and I'm deeply humbled!

Everyones entries were brilliant and I didn't think for one moment I'd win (especially with that girl one haha!)

I like the idea of giving everyone their own cart,...hang on! That means I'm the only one who gets a 'stock' cart hehehe

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

p.s. anyone else making homebrew carts, I hope you all realise you now have a top pool of talent to tap among the various entries.

Well actually....

Firstly I thought your label was bloody brilliant - and although I didn't spot it as the winner before it was chosen, I really like it and think it was just a brilliant idea by Manuel, too. To tell the truth I'm now envious he has such a great label for his game.

Labels for my game (Qb) are pretty shoddy I know. If I didn't feel like it was stealing Manuel's thunder, I'd steal his idea and ask for submissions for labels for the upcoming Qb special edition (which is in production). But, only if Manuel would feel comfortable with the theft of his idea, I'd offer a special edition of Qb as prize for a similar competition.

Maybe this could be a regular thing - label design for homebrews via competition. All kudos to Manuel, once again, for the neat idea. And I'd understand if he wanted to keep this approach to himself.

Anyway, congrats to you for winning. Great labels everyone.

Cheers

A

Hi Andrew!

Maybe this could be a regular thing - label design for homebrews via competition. All kudos to Manuel, once again, for the neat idea. And I'd understand if he wanted to keep this approach to himself.

Of course you know how I love QB. And of course I'd be very happy for you, if a similar contest would find QB the brilliant label it deserves!

As for the idea in general, I don't think anybody needs my permission. I knew right from the start that there'll be similar events in the future :-)

You should talk to Albert, we already found some spots to improve on label contests in general.

There's another thing I'd like to ask you. I'm gonna post you a private mail within the next 48 hours, suggesting you *something*.

Could you please, before officially starting anything, wait until you receive my mail and consider what I'll suggest you in there?

*secretspookywhisper*

Greetings,

Manuel

Thanks for giving all of us who entered, something fun to do. My entry was almost all done by hand on the paint program that comes with windows, but for the next contest I ran out and bought Coral draw program, and a few others to take on all the other designers who had these programs. I think the label that won deserved to win and i'd like to the maker my congratulations.

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

The idea to give each contestant a copy of the game with their label is sheer genius! Well played.

The actual wording was...

"Would it be possible to allow every contestant to buy cartridges flying _their_ label?"

And the answer was YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hozer Games will soon receive a big package, with all your submissions & a list of names. Everybody on this list can exclusively order Gunfight cartridges with _his_ selfmade label!

One couldn't seriously expect Manuel to give every contenstant a cartridge. Hozer charges over $10 a cart, there's just no way this would be practical for a homebrew author. Sounds to me like Manuel has made an arrangement where those who have entered will be able to have their own labels printed and attached to carts they buy.

Cheers

A

PS: Manuel, re your secret message - yeah, great idea. I'm on-board

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Andrew Davie ]

Great contest!! I love the label that was chosen, congratulations David. I ordered my copy, with other homebrews too, from Hozer as soon as the contest was over

Now how about doing a 5200 label for Tempest? What do you think Tempest? Have you got anyone to do a label for Cypher?

Hi there!

Just wanted to say that I'd have nothing against a public poll to see which label was favored by the majority of the AA visitors.

But you should keep two things in mind: I won't change the label I selected and I don't have any more prizes to offer...

Anyway, good idea.

Greetings,

Manuel

P.S.: Albert, if you replied anything to my last mail, please repost it to my home address cybergoth@nexgo.de, if you need a reply before monday...

I don't mind either It'd actually be real interesting to see the tastes of a (mostly) american cross-section of the community. I do feel my painting is generally more european.

Oh yeah, don't anyone do a 5200 contest as there wouldn't be any point in me entering - after all - what the hell would I play the game on??