IGNORED

2004 Stan Awards Player's Choice Awards Voting!

StanJr

Well, I've held back the tide as long as I can, its time to get these Stan Awards under way. The 2004 Stan Awards Player's Choice Award Voting begins here and now, midnight Dec. 12 EST. Rules for voting are simple: You can vote for ANYTHING Atari related, any system, anything at all, as long as it is Atari and you think it is outstanding. You can vote for games, homebrews, hacks, proto releases, conventions, events, websites, people, hardware, etc. etc. You may submit one vote at any time between now and midnight Dec. 19 EST. Vote by sending me a PM with your vote and something like "MY VOTE" in the subject heading. You only get one vote and only user accounts activated before today are allowed to vote (sorry newest of the newbies, try next year, got to avoid the ballot box stuffers). I frown upon people wishing to change their vote, so please avoid this if possible, it will make me cry.

For more details you can check the following two links about what this all is and how it works.

http://www.atariage.com/features/Stan2003/

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t...=58059&start=25

I will start and maintain a running list of potential nominees in this thread so that you get some idea of what is eligible and what kinds of things people are voting for. You may also feel free to use this thread to discuss nominees or pimp your stuff for votes. Last year's turn out for the PCA was HUGE and I expect this year to be just as strong. It was a tight race last year coming down to just a few votes deciding the winner. I had a lot of fun bringing this award to life and I hope you enjoy it as well.

Here is a BEGINNING list of potential nominees:

Stelladaptor 2600 to USB Interface

Climber 5 (2600 HB)

JoustPong (2600 HB)

Castle Crisis (5200 HB)

Beef Drop (5200 HB)

TIA Painter by Christian Bogey

Seawolf (2600 HB)

Voice Synth Module by starfighter1314

A26 MaxiCart

2600 Horizontal Log Scroller Routine by Simon

Atari XL/XE USB Cart

Proto Release: Meltdown

Proto Release: 5200 RS Basketball

Proto Release: Rubik's Cube 3D

5200 Blaster

5200 Bristles

Philly Classic 5

CGE 2004

Midwest Classic 2004

Atari Age High Score Club Contest

Clear and Color Cartridge Technology

Haunted Adventure-Boo (Hack)

Haunted Adventure II (Hack)

Westworld (Hack)

Invader X (hack)

...more to come but that should get you started!

Thanks to everyone who shows interest in these awards and happy voting!

Stan

:) :) :)

and the votes are ROLLING in. There are some pretty tight and very interesting races going on between some very deserving projects. Much like last year, it looks like EVERY vote is going to count! This is so cool. thanks to all who HAVE voted, and all who have not, DO NOT wait until the last minute!

Thanks everyone. I'll have some more nominees for the list later tonight!

:) :) :) :) :)

it goes into the category of "is it finished and released yet?"  And then if so, it is a hack.  And a darn good one too. :)

Yes. It is finished and the Final BIN was released. It will be available soon as a cartridge.

My Votes:

Homebrew: Seawolf

Hack: Wolfenstein

Atari Achievement: Packrat Videogames

Players Choice Award: Nukey Shay

Event Award: Philly Classic

Another year and still no categories beside Atari machines. :(

Stan, I think you are missing the chance to become the most important classic gaming award around. Please include the other systems: Vectrex, ColecoVision, Intellivision, Odyssey 2... I can understand you creating a VCS only award, as it was the most popular system and it is getting the most homebrews. But how about the 5200? The CV was more popular than it, wasn't it? :ponder:

BTW, nothing against the 5200. In fact I have been playing it a lot lately. :)

Eduardo

I'd love to have a 5200 award as well, but as of now the field is not big enough to justify it. As for other systems, I'd go into those as well, but I do not own any of those systems and I would not be an accurate judge of current projects for them. Perhaps if the awards get big enough, I can farm such duties out? But as they stand, three years in, I simply lack the means to make that a reality at this point. But we do agree that it would be very cool to have!

All of those voting, please remember that you can only vote for ONE Atari-related somewhat. I've had a few people wanting to vote for multiple items, and while I sympathize that there is just too much to chose from, I must ask you to narrow your choice down to one.

A few new nominees have been brought to my attention:

pmpddytim's Proposal Cart

Nukey Shay for his incredible hacking work and support

AtariVox

Cuttle Cart 2

Lots of great great stuff here, so hard to choose! Keep those votes rolling in! :) :) :)

All of those voting, please remember that you can only vote for ONE Atari-related somewhat.  I've had a few people wanting to vote for multiple items, and while I sympathize that there is just too much to chose from, I must ask you to narrow your choice down to one.

Lots of great great stuff here, so hard to choose!  Keep those votes rolling in! :)  :)  :)

If we can only vote for ONE, my vote is for Nukey. If two things, well, you know... Haunted Adventure Special Edition, but that's actually two separate things ;)

So Private Message to StanJR is the way to vote?

I know what I'm voting for...

As far as I can tell, JoustPong (soon to be Flap-Ping) is the only original HB game listed (even though it's not the first platform I made it on, and is an amalgamation of 3 different gameplay mechanics...)

Plus it's an underdog now, being put down by the man. Remember...a vote for JoustPong is vote against Infogratari!

;-) ;-) ;-)

This is a tough decision. I found last years Player's Choice an easy pick even though my pick didn't win. I think that was because the system sort of get's overlooked and shadowed by the 2600.

There were so many good things that happened this year.

For the 2600 HB we got...

JoustPong

Seawolf

We also had the games for the 2004 Minigame compo. Can we include these? They're not on cartridge but the ROMs are available.

Then there was that other HB game...the one with the baseball player getting a baseball on a building or something. The name escapes me.

For the 5200 we got...

Castle Crisis

Beef Drop

And Blaster surfaced too :D

For the 7800 we got...(or some of us got)

Desert Falcon source code

Cuttle Cart 2

Graphics converter tool

...still waiting on Beef Drop...

Then there were a number of good hacks done this year...

Nukey Shay's hacks (if we can include them ;)) were very well done

We also got Wolfenstein too

Oh and the Proposal cart. Would that go to Paul for the hack (or maybe me for the DK disassembly :))

I wish that guy doing the Berzerk Arcade hack could get it in in time for voting. I really doubt it.

I know I'm missing things from the A8 scene (see how it gets forgotten :sad:)

Also, there were a number of disassemblies and source code supplied for the 2600. Of course this probably doesn't count.

What a wonderful year this has been. Well, except for the Atari/Infogrames fiasco. This is going to be a tough choice.

What about all the 8-bit to 5200 conversions? These were something talked about for awhile and then Kenfused and Classics came in and did some great work. However, I don't know how to vote for these. I guess Classic's multicart would be an item that encompasses these; however, doesn't this then leave out Kenfused?

What about all the 8-bit to 5200 conversions? These were something talked about for awhile and then Kenfused and Classics came in and did some great work. However, I don't know how to vote for these. I guess Classic's multicart would be an item that encompasses these; however, doesn't this then leave out Kenfused?

you cant leave out sunmarks multicarts :D

We also had the games for the 2004 Minigame compo. Can we include these? They're not on cartridge but the ROMs are available.

Nukey Shay's hacks (if we can include them ;)) were very well done

Oh and the Proposal cart. Would that go to Paul for the hack (or maybe me for the DK disassembly :))

Yes, a great year! To answer all of your questions, yes. All of those are eligible and I'll let you and Paul fight over the award should you win! ;) :D

The 5200 Multicart is how I would vote for those conversions. Unless someone has a better idea!

Thanks to all who have voted and to those that haven't, time is running out! Keep those votes rolling in! :) :) :) :)

Wow, there's a lot of choice!  Cool :)

But lets not forget those tireless souls who've put their heart and souls into producing all those beautiful manuals and labels.....;)  (makes excuses and leaves)

Um, yeah! I vote for the Beef Drop manual! :ponder:

So little time....so many great things to vote for....I may have to pull the selections out of a hat.

BTW, was the CyberTech S-Video card done this year or last year?

Also don't forget about the GCC 20th Anniversary Reunion that Curt supplied to us. He said he's still working on the video but even having the audio was great!

But lets not forget those tireless souls who've put their heart and souls into producing all those beautiful manuals and labels.....;)

I agree! Those labels on these HB games are outstanding!

Ohhh.....so much to choose from and so little time :sad:

I agree with all the praise that is going the way of the label and manual designers. This may justify a "Best Label Design" award next year. Which would be very cool.

The Cybertech S-Video was last year and was featured in last year's award ceremony! Got quite a few votes in the PCA last year as well!

A few late nominees I'd like to add to the list:

Graz2004 Demo by Simon. This fabulous little gem slipped through my radar this year, but is VERY VERY cool. Look here for more info:

http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/gr04.html

Portable Jaguar

Classic 5200 Multi-cart (with all those conversions on it)

GCC 20th Anniversary Reunion (thanks DEBRO!)

There is still time to vote! 3 days remain, and you can vote all the way up until Midnight Sunday EST. Keep 'em comin'!