IGNORED

Yie Ar Kung-Fu A8

Heaven/TQA

Oh... wouldn't a NES tile just equal a character on the A8?

I thought more about other things being simpler: No OS to worry about on the NES, only 8K RAM, no interrupts, almost the same clock speed and the NES being limited to 4 sprites on a scanline as well. Also, the NES version of Yie Ar Kung Fu is only 24K, so I was under the impression it would be pretty straightforward to port.

If your interested, a little bit of info at the end of this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...st&p=741366

In the sources the 'characters.c' file has some detail taken from a NES FAQ about the character data layout.

The NES video hardware handles the resolving of the tiles, more advanced than say the Antic 4 mode, and handles 8*8 instead of our 4*8, so the the Atari needs a 'software' tile engine to put the correct characters into the screen (character) RAM to emulate this.

The NES video hardware handles the resolving of the tiles, more advanced than say the Antic 4 mode, and handles 8*8 instead of our 4*8, so the the Atari needs a 'software' tile engine to put the correct characters into the screen (character) RAM to emulate this.

Ain't the 8*8 vs. 4*8 difference coming from the A8 using double width pixels in multicolor mode? So I'd assume to match the aspect ratio, the 8*8 tiles would have to be resized to 4*8, one by one, jumping the gun and losing the resolution. That is, unless the A8 has something comparable to C64 FLI trickery

Not from the multicolor as the NES is working the same way,

only the way bits are paired to make the color differs.

The aspect ratio errors come from the NES displaying 256x224

pixels (240 lines for PAL) in the same area the A8 displays 160x200.

Hence the little FF3j guys in my Avatar look a little 'squattier' when

compared with the originals. ;)

Edited by Wrathchild

Ok, I understand now. (At least, if I'm right when thinking now that the NES displays 16 8x8 tiles accross horizontally :ponder: ;))

Hm... for a Yie Ar Kung Fu port, tile/char conversion considerations still seem pretty trivial for me. The task is clear: Provide a static background.

You need to display this regardless of the code base you're working on. In fact I'd probably resample the backgrounds straight from the arcade for maximum accuracy.

I thought the hard part in this conversion would be stuff like movement timing, AI, game logic and such (ain't that what killed the IK+ conversion?), that's why I thought the NES version probably was a simpler-to-port base :)

The aspect ratio errors come from the NES displaying 256x224

pixels (240 lines for PAL) in the same area the A8 displays 160x200.

Ok, I understand now. (At least, if I'm right when thinking now that the NES displays 16 8x8 tiles accross horizontally :ponder: ;))

Uhm... actually, I think I had it right, before you were trying to confuse me :D

The A8 displays 160 different dots horizontally as in 40 4*8 chars. Those are double width pixels, since it's occupying the same area as an 320 pixel wide hires screen otherwize would.

The NES displays 256 different dots horizontally as in 32 8*8 chars. Those are single width pixels.

To convert that easily into a static screen, you'd leave the 4 left and right A8 character columns empty and resize all 8x8 tiles down to 4x8 chars. In a scrolling screen, that means you can see 8 tiles more on the A8.

Yes or No? :twisted:

:D Both...

'Yes', using a 'narrow' playfield would satisfy this (and save some RAM)

and 'No' - at what sacrifice? 8x8 down to 4x8 - you'd lose much of what

was being represented in the first place wouldn't you?

Similar in a little way to the recent Nebulus/Tower Toppler discussions.

On the A8 the 'tower' could easily have been done in the Antic 4 mode,

but at what sacrifice - the player's character can no longer be hi-rez.

Pity Atari didn't allow the P/Ms to have a mono mode (1/2 color clock).

Similar goes for Impossible Mission - we can't replicate the main character

'as-is' and so (for me) this detracts slightly if you know the original.

Saying that, Rybags has done a good job with his replacement guy. :)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87183

Off on a tangent a bit - the Gameboy to A8 suffers similarly as that has

a 160x160 display, so we're OK on the X-scale factor, but 160 out of our

192 pixels leaves us a little short so things look a bit squashed.

Best wishes,

Mark

[Edit] Getting a bit off topic - we could start another thread if necessary

'Advantages/Disadvantages of porting from other systems'?

post-1822-1163525142_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrathchild

Ok, here comes today's version.

Fixed:

1. working on real stuff (tested on PAL machines, please check the game on the NTSC ones)

2. player's crippling on the second stage (STAR)

3. CHAIN doesn't lose his weapon anymore

4. garbage on player one/two select screen

Known bugs:

1. the DLI interrupt issue is elliminated in principle. However, the screen may sometime flash (still working on this proc)

2. the jump sound sometimes is longer than it's used to be (really don't know why it occurs)

3. sometimes there may appear some garbage during fight (i've seen it on POLE and CHAIN stages - on player's-free space)

4. the game didn't lock up when we played it recently, but this issue may also occur.

Please check if any other bugs still occur.

yiekung.zip

This is still wrong thinking. One possibility was to have hires graphics with different luminaces on the moving chars (Player underlay).

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...0588&st=25#

Water and Scoreboard could be both, hires and coloured.

Or hires in combination with colourmode and PM Overlay which would look like this:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...mp;hl=turrican#

Off on a tangent a bit - the Gameboy to A8 suffers similarly as that has

a 160x160 display, so we're OK on the X-scale factor, but 160 out of our

192 pixels leaves us a little short so things look a bit squashed.

Don't forget, we have the possibily of showin 160x120 in double scanline mode.

Ok, here comes today's version.

Fixed:

1. working on real stuff (tested on PAL machines, please check the game on the NTSC ones)

:? well. I can NOT confirm it to work on my PAL Atari 130 XE machine. I have a Satantronic RAM upgrade. Everything else is pretty much standard.

\twh

Edited by twh/f2

Ok, here's another version.

Ingame-garbage should be elliminated. Also the title music has been tweaked a little. :)

@emkay:

Originally the music had sid sounds. They were removed due to player used in game (it doesn't play sid sounds, but it's less cycle-hungry)

@twh/f2:

The game should automatically detect your mem-expansion (it works on emulator in any >=320k config). This is Tebe's proc that can be found in MADS' archive. Can you run some test on your machine and then write down the bank-numbers?

yiekung.zip

Edited by miker

The music is converted several times:

MOD->MD8->MPT2.1->MPT2.4x

MD8 is "module for 8-bit" format used by some 90s players such as SoundTracker Player or FAMPY.

MPT2.1 can read patterns from MD8 files and (as there's no converter) a memory fragment must be dumped to disk and loaded into MPT2.4x using some DOS (i use DOS II+/D 6.4).

Well - this is not straight converson... Original module (Magnetic 4) has different bassline and (unwanted here) percussion.

Well, that's all! :)

(attached original MOD for reference)

MAGNETIC.ZIP

Edited by miker

Actually 0% of SID engine is used. All music/FX are done in MPT. SID-sounds mentioned above are similar to those, which can be made in RMT (a little worse quality though, but MPT program is dated about 1992-3, and these sound are there well - by mistake :) ).

Edited by miker

I found the original graphic intro. Maybe could be better to make a GFX as near as the original, because C64 screenshot are very poor.

It is interesting idea...but...maybe somebody would like to write demo which could I will add to Yie Ar Kung Fu?

This demo will be showing at the beginning before the game is loaded.

I mean something like the demo in The Last Ninja III on C64 or better:)

Edited by vega

Stupid discussion really. Artefacting only works on NTSC A8's.

Pity Atari didn't allow the P/Ms to have a mono mode (1/2 color clock).

1/2 color clock is only true for the NTSC A8's, that's the reason why artefacting does not work on PAL A8's...