IGNORED

Yie Ar Kung-Fu A8

Heaven/TQA

Similar in a little way to the recent Nebulus/Tower Toppler discussions.

On the A8 the 'tower' could easily have been done in the Antic 4 mode,

but at what sacrifice - the player's character can no longer be hi-rez.

Stupid discussion really. Artefacting only works on NTSC A8's.

Hmm, are you sure? Artifacting works very well on PAL systems/TVs. Did you mean monitor usage? There probably artifacting doesn't appear.

I am having problems running the game. Both the boot atr and dos version stop at this point after the music. The Player 1 flashed on and off but nothing else happens.

about 5 minutes later the 1st opponent starts moving and I get a blank screen.

I am using a stock NTSC 800xl with Newell 256k upgrade.

post-7833-1163644606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Almost Rice

I am having problems running the game. Both the boot atr and dos version stop at this point after the music. The Player 1 flashed on and off but nothing else happens.

The game works only in PAL system.

Edited by vega

The game works only in PAL system.

If I put in a PAL Antic, will it work?

Well

referring to "Artefacting" on the A8, thats what I have heard about it:

- artefacting can be used/done on NTSC and PAL machines

- but: artefacting is different on NTSC and PAL machines / tv`s, thus: artefacting done on a NTSC machine will only work correct on NTSC machines / tv`s (and not at all on PAL machines); whereas artefacting done on PAL machines will only work correct on PAL machines / tv`s (and not at all on NTSC machines)

- furthermore: the visible color of artefacting differs on Atari 400, 800, XL, XE, XEGS machines...

- luckily (or not) most programs that make use of artefacting were done in the 80s on NTSC machines, afaik the only program(s) that describe+use artefacting on PAL machines appeared in Page 6 / New Atari User (issue 52, pages 18-21))...

some examples for well known games using artefacting:

- the Ultima series (Ultima 1, 2, 3 and 4)

- Lode Runner

- Pinball Construction Set (original version)

- all pinballs created with the original PCS, including David`s Midnight Magic (original version)

- Drol

- Tower Toppler

- Choplifter (original version by Broderbund, the later XE/XEGS cart by Atari uses gr. 15 instead)

- and some more games

=> all of these games use NTSC artefacting! (no colors on PAL machines / tv`s)

looks like these 1 or 2 programs in Page 6 / NAU are the only ones that use artefacting on PAL machines (but the article "Artefacting on PAL Ataris" describes very well how it can be done, so further programs are possible)... will post it in a separate topic... (as scanned JPG pictures, I am too lazy to type in 1,5 pages of text and 2,5 pages of an Atari Basic type-in-listing)...

Greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

• 1 year later...

Well... after many times of trying to fight these lousy bugs...

The project is DEAD...

However Vega decided to release the sources of the last build of YAKF.

The file can be found in this news. Just click on the word pliczek near the end of this article.

--------------------------

And now it's time for...

BOMBJACK! :D

Edited by miker

The main error is that the game can occiasionally crash in any time (it happens after opponents' presentation on "STAGE n" screen (i think it was described in some of the posts above in this thread).

There are also some other errors but this one has ultimately killed the project.

You're going to spend time to port that piece of trash from the C64 to the A8? :-o

Why not? If it is only full playable and not only using 4 colour on the screen :ponder:

It stops being a port around the time they make it playable... =-)

You're going to spend time to port that piece of trash from the C64 to the A8? :-o

Why not? If it is only full playable and not only using 4 colour on the screen :ponder:

It stops being a port around the time they make it playable... =-)

But why start with a trainwreck? Isn't there a NES version available? Or even better, just start anew from the Arcade :)

Hi All,

Now that Miker has mentioned about the project here, just a few words from me...

Bombjack as it is now has been in progress since early last year. I have been working on an acurate arcade conversion on and off for a couple of years. I have invested a lot of time in it as it seemed like a viable project. so now this is briefly what has transpired: Kaz pointed out to me last year that Vega was already in the process of beggining porting the C64 version and suggested that we should join the two projects and create a complete game together. Since then, we have all spent an immense amount of time working on it. The result of which is that the game now resembles the arcade version with the game logic being a starting point from the C64 port so don't worry too much about the crippled C64 heritage. Tebe is involved in the project also and we are using Tebe's soft sprite routine. I have been painstakingly creating the arcade graphics under the nessasary restrictions that soft sprites bring to our half char set, in the process of this Vega wrote a nice utility to create a procedure for the screen layouts. Well, that's just a small part of what has been a very long but fun project. Progress is continuing along well, I spend around 5 hours every evening on the project. More news will apear soon..

Edited by Tezz

Tezz...sounds good... i spoted the gfx on Atari.Online.pl and i can not wait to see it in motion... ;) and maybe there will be a suprise as well as i spoted Pang! there as well...
Hi Heaven, yes Pang is almost nearing completion according to the Polish sites