IGNORED

The "Read this, you lucky S.O.B.!" contest.

CPUWIZ

Didja ever notice how sometimes life just plain isn’t fair? (Um … If you haven’t, it might be time to push aside that rock you’re under, and look around a little.) How some people, often through no particular fault of their own, just seem to keep getting pasted by one hit of bad luck after another?

Somehow, though more of a one-shot deal, those unsuspecting tourists trying to de-stress in ‘tropical paradise’, and all the people who were living their lives along those coastlines until yesterday come to mind …

As do the incredibly unlucky trials of someone a little closer to home here at Atari Age. (This is one guy who definitely needs to stay away from Las Vegas!) ;)

At any rate … maybe it’s the Holiday spirit finally overcoming my (she doesn’t have it) more typical Grinch-ness … or maybe it’s the fact that, by comparison, we feel very, very lucky (or maybe it’s just the wine, but whatever …). The point is that we feel moved to try, in our own small way, to actually DO something about it.

So … here it comes, people – get ready for it – we are hereby launching the:

“Make Inky’s Kids Pink Movement”

It’s a shamelessly, unabashedly benevolent Movement, who’s sole purpose for being is to raise some bucks to help someone here pay off a butt-load of medical bills that no Crack Creme in the world is gonna touch ... and maybe to help remind those who can contribute just how lucky they are to be able to do so. Those of you who follow what’s happening around here closely probably do not need to hear much more …

So, here’s my best offer for getting this groundswell rolling:

1. Shortly, a PayPal account will be established in the name of The Movement, and a time limit will be determined. I will deposit the first $50 into that account.

2. As an additional incentive for any of you who might have their own lingering Grinch-ness issues to overcome, I will offer up a rarity 9 from my personal collection (which game yet TBD but it won’t be a cheesy Waterworld) to the person who makes the highest cash contribution to that PayPal account within the time limit. (This way, you get to feel like a hero, and you get something cool for your collection in the bargain!)

3. The next two highest contributors will each get a hand made 2600 or 5200 reproduction cart of their choice (If it's in the realm of my possibilities).

4. No matter how you cut it, anyone who’s in a position to make a contribution, large or small, gets to feel really, really good about themselves. Any little bits all add up, and every little bit helps.

Obviously, nothing we can do here will really put Inky’s kids ‘back in the pink’, but we do have the power to try and help reduce the stress for those taking care of them.

So? What do you think? Are we together on this? Will the power of collective goodwill and benevolence (and some vintage video games and the almighty buck) help to triumph over the evil of medical bills gone wild for one of our gaming brethren?!?!?

The power of The Movement is soon to be in your hands …

(More details to follow … and now back to real life …)

Bah, humbug!!!

P.S. If you have something negative to say towards this idea, please send a PM and don’t poison this thread with it. Thanks.

I would be happy to make some kind of donation, but I gotta be honest. If I told my dad about it, (It would need to be through his paypal account, since I don't have one) he would think I was crazy to give my money to a person I only know from a forum I spend too much time at. I will, however, try to help out by suggesting that there is some kind of mention of this on the front page, to get a little more attention for those that do not go to OT or the contests forum often. Sorry I can't really help, Inky. I would if I could :sad:

This is a great idea.  One suggestion:

2 accounts:

1 personal (for cash transfers)

1 verified premier (for Credit Card purchases)

Hey,CPU! if you do this or don't LMK... i have some funds in my pay pal balance that's not doing anything..

:ponder: OMG i'm in off-topic again! :x :D

Rick

This is a great idea.  One suggestion:

2 accounts:

1 personal (for cash transfers)

1 verified premier (for Credit Card purchases)

Hey,CPU! if you do this or don't LMK... i have some funds in my pay pal balance that's not doing anything..

:ponder: OMG i'm in off-topic again! :x :D

Rick

Whoops, I somehow missed that, I was planning on using only this one account. I had enough trouble setting that one up already. Don't ask. :ponder:

Thanks. :)

Curious, I know you said you'd put in the first $50, but that read $48.25.  Are PayPal fees being taken out of the donations?  If so that really sucks.  You should have registered for a non-premier account. :P

Yes, but on the contrary, it allows people to give a couple bucks who don't have money in their PayPal accounts. :ponder:

Yes but I'd like to know if I make a donation to Inky, he gets ALL of it, not PayPal 2.9% + whatever.  I'd rather write him a check.

That is fine if you want to do that, we will add on the amount onto the money order that Inky & his family will receive, we know your checks are good. :)