IGNORED

Wolfenstein Label Contest

neotokeo2001

I need a label for the release of Wolfenstein (Atari 2600)

download.php?id=32918

There will be 1 Winning Label. The winner will recieve:

1) A copy of the Deluxe Boxed version of Wolfenstein.

2) $50 Store Credit at Packrat Videogames.(http://www.packratvg.com/)

3) Winning Label will appear on all copies of Wolfenstein.

4) Label Credit in the Wolfenstein Manual.

Wolfenstein will be offered in 2 Versions:

1) Deluxe Boxed Version

Includes: Box, Game Cartridge, Manual, and special Wolfenstein Items.

2) Standard Version

Includes: Game Cartridge and Manual Only.

Contest Rules:

1) Original Art Only

2) Contest Deadline is Midnight January 10, 2005

3) You can post lower-resolution labels to enter the contest. In order for the label to look good when printed it should be saved at 200dpi or better. The original, high-resolution submission will be sent to Packrat Videogames when the contest is complete.

4) There will be 1 Winning Label.

Backstory:

It is the height of WWII. Germany has conquered most of Europe, and Britain is suffering under constant seige by air. The dark shadow of facism looms heavy over the free people of the world. You are Sgt Kozwowski of the Polish special forces. Captured as part of a resistance cell opposing the German and Russian occupation of Poland, you are transported to the dread castle Wolfenstein just over the border in Germany for interrogation and execution, or possibly worse.

Befriending one of your guards is not difficult. He seems uncomfortable with what the Nazis are doing to the people of Poland. It is a shame then that you have to strangle him to get the key to your cell and a knife, but this is war. Escape is your first priority, but as a member of the resistance you won't pass up this opportunity to hurt the German war machine and avenge the people of Poland.

Good-luck soldier, the free world holds you in its prayers.

Screenshots

download.php?id=32914

download.php?id=32915

download.php?id=32917

download.php?id=32910

BIN File:

http://atariage.com/forums/download.php?id=32903

Follow The Development of Wolfenstein:

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t...t=50942&start=0

Atariage has some helpful Label information:

Actual label sizes when printed are 2 3/4" x 3 3/8" for the main label and 2 3/4" x 9/16" for the end label. If you have artwork that goes to the edge of the label, you will also need a 1/4" bleed around the edges. This bleed isn't necessary for the contest, but if your label design is chosen as the winner it will be necessary in order to print the label.

Templates:

Main Label Template (300dpi)

http://www.atariage.com/features/contests/...ront_300dpi.png

End Label Template (300dpi)

http://www.atariage.com/features/contests/..._end_300dpi.png

I have attached a ZIP File that has the Templates that I use. They were made by Needle. You can see example pics below. I design my labels with these templates and then resize them to post on Atariage. The larger file will be needed for the cartridge label.

post-3832-1104280835_thumb.jpg

post-3832-1104280836_thumb.jpg

label_templates.zip

Okay...I've been having fun again. :D

That's what happens when you have the week off of work with nothing to do. I was checking to see if a winner was chosen in the MGD contest and I happened to notice this one. After downloading the game and playing it for about an hour I knew I had to do something. So I sat down at my new G5 and starting experimenting with doing some more natural, painterly illustrations using the Wacom tablet rather than my usual vector stuff. Next thing I knew I was having fun. A few hours later and...

wolfy.jpg

The placement of the type isn't 100% yet. I thought I'd wait to see if there are any other type requirements before I get too involved with that. Also the templates you've provided are for a box, no? Or is that the label? If so, do you have a sample of how you've used it on a label in the past? Just curious so I can try and keep it somewhat consistent.

Okay...I've been having fun again.   :D  

That's what happens when you have the week off of work with nothing to do.  I was checking to see if a winner was chosen in the MGD contest and I happened to notice this one.  After downloading the game and playing it for about an hour I knew I had to do something.  So I sat down at my new G5 and starting experimenting with doing some more natural, painterly illustrations using the Wacom tablet rather than my usual vector stuff.  Next thing I knew I was having fun.  A few hours later and...

wolfy.jpg

The placement of the type isn't 100% yet.  I thought I'd wait to see if there are any other type requirements before I get too involved with that.  Also the templates you've provided are for a box, no?  Or is that the label?  If so, do you have a sample of how you've used it on a label in the past?  Just curious so I can try and keep it somewhat consistent.

I was going to enter but.......WOW. 8)

-Tim

Contest is over. Dave wins. LOL

@Dave: One small suggestion to make this beautiful piece of art even better. Put the left dogs back-legs behind the Wolfenstein text.  :)

Agreed about the label and the dog's legs. I was also planning to enter something, but DAMN, that's pretty! 8)

It should be real easy to add the programmer info, etc. somewhere in the corner or something of that label.

Also, I think Joeybastard should get a consolation prize or something, since he also entered a nice design for everybody to see.

Has anybody from Digital Press entered a label?

If not, you could end the contest now... unless Joey has another label up his sleeve. ;)

Wow, I am very impressed by both entries. I'm tempted to end the contest right now, but let's just bump the end date up a bit to Jan 7 at midnight.

Here's a few more guidelines:

The label size should be exactly 862 x 1059 saved at 300 dpi

Be sure to count on a .1" bleed when placing text, etc.

The only text necessary is the title; we'll put all of the copyright information in the manual

Please feel free to post any questions or concerns and GREAT job guys!

Best,

Jarett

Also the templates you've provided are for a box, no?  Or is that the label?  If so, do you have a sample of how you've used it on a label in the past?  Just curious so I can try and keep it somewhat consistent.

Nothing has to remain consistent. A full bleed label would be great. Here are a few examples of how Needle at Digital Press has used the templates:

PoseidonCart50.jpg

CartFinalNeedle50.jpeg

@CPU,

862 x 1059 turns out to be the exact label dimensions (including a bleed) at 300 dpi. We print our manuals and custom labels in-house, but our standard label runs go to a local print shop. I suppose their printers are a bit forgiving on dpi. You are right, though, those dimensions are a bit small. Larger artwork is always encouraged!

This brings up a good point. The box artwork needs to be somewhere around 1653 x 2244. This isn't the same aspect ratio as the label art, which makes box design interesting. This is something that we'll work out with the winner of the contest.

Thanks,

Jarett

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm sorry if I've ruined everyone's fun by submitting my entry as I hope to see more submissions. I've learned there are many talented folks here at AtariAge and I'm sure there are a couple of great design ideas out there yet. And even entries that don't win make great portfolio additions. I know, I've created several Atari labels that never won anything. But they're still fun to do and look good in the ol' portfolio.

Good suggestion about the dog's rear legs. There are a couple changes I want to make regarding the placement of the title. I'll be sure to add that one to the list.

And thanks for posting the other label variations. I can see the look you're going for now. One last thing, does a vector version of that template exist? Maybe something in a PDF or Adobe Illustrator file? I want to do some color changes to the background and layer it into my illustration. It would just be a lot cleaner looking and easier if it already exists in a vector format. If not, no biggie. I'll work something out. Thanks!