IGNORED

Copying Files From a PC to an Apple IIgs

Tempest

Is there a way to copy files to a disk on my PC and have it be readable by an Apple IIgs? I've seen a few Apple game archives on the net and I'd like to copy them to my IIgs and put them on its hard drive. If I can't use a disk to transfer files, is it possible to write them directly to the hard drive using a SCSI cable?

Tempest

The Apple II used a different way of writing/reading that allowed it to get more space out of floppies... as a result you can't normally read/write Apple II disks on PC.

Anyway, if you have an Apple IIgs with a Superdisk controller and a SuperDisk drive, you can load the MS-DOS FST in GS OS and use it to read MS DOS formated floppies on the SmartDisk Drive(no writing)

In general, when starting out it's a lot easier to get an old Mac with builtin ethernet and floppy drive, like the PowerMac6100, to get files onto the IIgs since Macs used the same read/write encoding as the Apple II and can read/write ProDOS disks.