IGNORED

A li'l game...kinda fishie...

vdub_bobby

I promise I won't.

You made some great music, Tommy.

I even got the change to listen to your "beyond 6000 points" music.

8)

871941[/snapback]

Thanks! Writing music for the 2600 is a bit interesting, and forces creativity down your throat, since you only have certain notes to work with and not all of them are in tune with each other. Kind of a fun challenge, though. I think I actually rewrote each tune about 6-8 times before my brother and I were satisfied. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great game - really addictive. I hope it went down a storm at the OVGE? Is the PAL version complete yet, as I would love to buy a copy on a cart?

A quick coding question for you. How do you make the fish appear and disappear smoothly at the edges of the screen? It looks like you are not using PF0, so I presume you need to mask off the sprites according to how much is visible, or is there a more obvious solution that I am missing? The reason I ask is that I need to do something similar in Hunchy.

Thanks

Chris

Great game - really addictive.  I hope it went down a storm at the OVGE?  Is the PAL version complete yet, as I would love to buy a copy on a cart?

A quick coding question for you.  How do you make the fish appear and disappear smoothly at the edges of the screen?  It looks like you are not using PF0, so I presume you need to mask off the sprites according to how much is visible, or is there a more obvious solution that I am missing?  The reason I ask is that I need to do something similar in Hunchy.

Thanks

Chris

876942[/snapback]

My guess would be a black playfield and bit 2 of CTRLPF set, though there are certainly other ways.

Great game - really addictive.  I hope it went down a storm at the OVGE?  Is the PAL version complete yet, as I would love to buy a copy on a cart?

A quick coding question for you.  How do you make the fish appear and disappear smoothly at the edges of the screen?  It looks like you are not using PF0, so I presume you need to mask off the sprites according to how much is visible, or is there a more obvious solution that I am missing?  The reason I ask is that I need to do something similar in Hunchy.

Thanks

Chris

876942[/snapback]

My guess would be a black playfield and bit 2 of CTRLPF set, though there are certainly other ways.

876946[/snapback]

Yeah, that's basically it: reflected playfield with PF0=%11110000 and black. Masks quite nicely. I did agonize over this quite a bit, by the way. I felt, and still feel to some extent, that just blanking one fifth of the screen is kind of cheap and is cheating the user. I couldn't come up with a better way, though - all the other methods I came up with were worse in the end, I decided.

Hi there!

I think it's a good solution, I'm doing that in Star Fire as well.

In Seawolf I have a rather complex mechanism to move the 24 pixel wide ships out of the screen, where I tweak the sprite pointers accordingly so that there's always only 1 sprite moving out. So I need only very few hide-pixels at the edge of the screen.

But with your big fishes it's almost impossible to do anything else besides your solution, that's both affordable and still looking elegant.

Greetings,

Manuel

Is the PAL version complete yet, as I would love to buy a copy on a cart?

PAL version is coming along - mostly done, actually (thanks to Thomas Jentzsch).

Only real work left is increasing the tempo of some of the music and double-checking the colors. Should be done pretty soon, I hope. :D

-bob

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...

We'll be featuring the Go Fish! LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- EggVenture 2600 (2011 WIP Update / V2) by Jurell Silks aka ScumSoft
- Go Fish (2005) by Bob Montgomery aka vdub_bobby
- Sky Jinks (1982 Patch Challenge) by Bob Whitehead of Activision

1119558195_20190830-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.ac233db063bda86fb7f71b2b814ad5bc.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

Hey-o. Forgive me for necro-bumping this, but I'm also planning a fish-eat-fish type game for the Atari 2600 as well. My primary inspiration, however, is a PopCap classic called Feeding Frenzy, which is probably also based on the fishy flash game.

I might play some of this game for inspiration. ❤️