IGNORED

Apple IIe / IIgs Monitor Question

Tempest

There is no RF output on the IIgs. Only Composite and Analog RGB.

With GS' specific software and games, the composite hookup was only really intended for use with a black and white, monochrome monitor.

If you intend on only doing 8-bit stuff you can stick with a TV or composite monitor... but if you do anything with 16-bit GS specific games you'll be missing out if you don't have a monitor that does Analog RGB.

You should really get a monitor that can do Analog RGB at NTSC frequencies.

The first two Models of NEC multisync monitors can sync down to NTSC frequencies and will work with the IIgs... but I really only recomend that if you already have one handy. They underscan so their bigger tube size doesn't really amount to much when compaired to the 12" monitor that Apple made for the IIgs.

Amiga and Nicer Commodore monitors like the 1084 are supposed to be able to work with the IIgs, and they overscan like the IIgs monitor.. It will need to be one with Analog RGB input... and you'll have to find an adaptor(I never did get my IIgs to work with my Commodore 1084)

Personally I'd just go for the monitor that Apple made for the IIgs(there is only one color monitor that Apple made specifically for the IIgs). Of all the possible monitors, they can be had for the cheapest... and For asthetics purposes.. they look real nice ontop of the IIgs since they're designed to fit with it. If you have somoene who thinks they have what your looking for.. or you find some Apple monitors somewhere, it should have a 15 pin port on the back and it should read "AppleColor RGBMonitor" on back.

IIgs Monitor

Well there aren't many GS games, but they made some nice ones which makes it worth owning. I'm mostly using it to play IIe games since my IIe is dying...

You can see all the games made for the IIgs here:

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/the_fairway/

I just wished shufflepuck cafe worked on ROM 03! DAMN IT!

Tempest

I was never a big Apple guy but isn't the IIe monitor just a composite monitor as opposed the IIgs being an RGB monitor?

If that's correct, you should be able to hook up a Commodore monitor like the 1902, 1080 or 1084 with a simple adapter cable. For that matter you could use an Atari ST RGB monitor as well, with an adapter cable.

Mitch

This is odd. All my IIe games have an inch or so blue boarder around them when I play them. What is causing this? It makes an already small display smaller! Reminds me of the ST monitor in some ways. Is this normal? Do all IIe games do this on a IIgs? If so I'll just go back to my IIe and screw this IIgs crap.

Tempest

Ok I fixed my IIe monitor and discovered something. Most (if not all) IIe games have the same border around them that I'm seeing in the IIgs monitor. The reason I never noticed it before is that the border is black like the background of most games. On the IIgs however the background is a bright blue which makes it noticable. Is there a way to change the default background color on the IIgs?

Tempest

There was a SGVA video card released called the "Second Sight" from Sequential Systems that allowed you to hook up other monitors to the Apple IIgs. As I recall, it was released very near the end of the Apple IIgs' life, making it pretty rare. But I'm sure if you're patient enough they turn up on eBay from time to time.

You can change the border color and many other things in the "control panel". You access it by holding down OpenApple-Control-Escape.

-Derek

Ok I'll have to try that. One thing I noticed is that the picture seems to be positioned a bit too high. I can adjust the vertical height using the knob on the back, but there's still a gap on the bottom of the screen (even though the picture now reaches the top). I guess what I'm saying is that I need to adjust the actual vertical position of the picture and not just stretch it out. Is there a way to do that or is it normal for there to be an inch border on the bottom and not the top?

Tempest

BTW I noticed something while playing around with Airheart on the IIgs. It seems like the graphics don't look quite right. You can see this by looking at the kings face on the start up picture. On the IIe it looks normal, but on the IIgs it looks like some of it is missing or distorted (it's black in somespots where there's color on the IIe). Is this normal for the IIgs? On the other hand, the colors look much nicer...

Tempest

Sadly, there is no other way to adjust the monitor other than with the knobs that are on it. My monitor also is off a bit like you describe....

By the way, I second your vote on the ROM 01 being better. It is more compatible with software that "bypassed the firmware". Of course, the developers shouldn't have bypassed it in the first place, but some did and so we're stuck with it. The ROM 03 does have a few more firmware patches in hardware rather than in software so that makes it a bit faster when running programs, but the difference is really very very small. Perhaps the biggest advantage of the ROM 03 is that the clock battery isn't soldered to the motherboard like it is in the ROM 01 so it's easier to replace.

-Derek

P.S. My other post should have said SVGA instead of SGVA....

One more thing about the stock IIgs monitor. The refresh rate on it is 60 Hz -- EXACTLY the same "refresh rate" of the light bulbs that you may be working under. Thus back in the day there were a lot of complaints about the IIgs monitor causing excessive eye fatigue.

The Second Sight video card operated at a higher refresh rate, so it was supposedly much easier on the eyes....

-Derek