IGNORED

New TurboGrafx-16 Site Launches

tg16.jpgJustin Scott, curator of the informative Atari7800.com web site, has completed work on a refit of his web site dedicated to the TurboGrafx-16 console. TurboGrafx-16.com caters to the American TurboGrafx fan base, which Justin believes has been under served in recent years. The new site features a comprehensive overview of all TurboGrafx systems developed for the American home consumer electronics market, extensive TurboGrafx history, a growing library of web resources including eBay auction tools, a small TurboGrafx web store featuring a few select items, general information regarding the Japanese PC Engine variant systems, multimedia downloads, TurboGrafx propaganda and documentation along with a growing list of over 300 pages of cheats and codes featured on the Tricknology 101 page. The web site first went live in 1997 as an enthusiast site known as "TurboXP" hosted on Yahoo. On July 4, 2002 the site was renamed TurboGrafx-16.com and has slowly evolved into what it is today.

which Justin believes has been under served in recent years.

Damn right it has. Count me in as a TG16 kinda guy as well... except of course i haven't bought a game for it once they stopped selling them. :ponder: But still, it remains one of my all time favorites.

The site looks real nice so far.. and I've only gotten as far as the scans page :thumbsup:

from http://www.atari7800.com/turbo/history_16.htm

"while the Genesis was based around the Atari ST computer architecture utilizing a single 16-Bit microprocessor. That being said, critics of the Turbo raised questions about the legitimacy of their system being a “true” 16-Bit console. Interestingly enough, no one seemed to question Sega’s blatant rip-off of Atari’s European market technology to build the Genesis / MegaDrive."

The SEGA Genesis video and audio system was an evolution of the SEGA Master System Video Display Processor (VDP) which in turn was based on the Texas Instruments TMS9918 VDP and the SN76489 for audio.

It turns out that embedded in every Genesis was a Master System compatibility mode! This included the Z80 CPU which was often used as a sound coprocessor in Genesis games.

The Genesis and Atari ST did have the Motorola 68000 CPU in common.

The Atari ST had a bitmapped based graphics system and a General Instruments AY-3-8910 compatible sound chip.

I don't know the details of the Atari patent infringement case with SEGA but I've heard it was just about the 2600 'compatible' controllers.

I don't know the details of the Atari patent infringement case with SEGA but I've heard it was just about the 2600 'compatible' controllers.

I'm almost positive I have documentation of the legalities of this law suit. Give me a little time to find it (just moved) and I'll post it. The law suit was settled sometime around 1994 and gave Atari an influx of cash from Sega and created a "partnership" between Sega and Atari where they both agreed to do some cross-platform polination. If my information is wrong it will be corrected.

Very nice site. Makes me want to track down a TurboExpress

www.tzd.com has them *brand new* for 179.99 if you dont mind the price. The TurboExpress makes a nice companion to the TG-16 and Duo and will rival anything the Lynx can do.

Wow that is a well designed site.  Very informative.  They need a forum  :D

We're working on that... look for something to happen in the next month or two.

Thanks again for the warm comments and enthusiasm. I'm glad to finally provide a stable "home" for the TurboGrafx systems.