IGNORED

Mental Kombat Label Contest!

Albert

Hi and thanks for the support so far to all of you, especially to Albert who made this contest possible!

The entries until now are really *GREAT* and I look forward to the end of the competition. Please note that the 100 cartridges will be numbered #00 to #99 to save one more byte... ;-)

At the moment my favorite label is xxxxxxxxx...nah! I won't tell right now. :-)

Best regards and thanks so far,

Simon

http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/

For my submission (which hasn't been posted at the time of this writing -- it'll be the one with the chromium heads and roiling clouds in the background :-) I chose to go with the Silver label style, as that was always my fave as a kid. For the font, however, I used SF Atarian Extended for the "ATARI" name, SF Atarian System for normal label text, and for the numbers, because neither of these Atari fonts match, I found that using Arial or Arial Narrow and subsituting the zeros in vertical "2600" for the letter O, it came as close as I was able to come.

Incidentally, some nice submissions so far. Hopefully mine will be able to compete. ;-) Good luck, Simon... looks like you've got your work cut out for you. :-)

quote:

Originally posted by Mindfield:

and for the numbers, because neither of these Atari fonts match, I found that using Arial or Arial Narrow and subsituting the zeros in vertical "2600" for the letter O, it came as close as I was able to come.

I found Century Gothic to be pretty close for the silver label 2600, at least for "26" -- I probably should have used the "O" though, instead of distorting a "0". Good tip.

Just finished posting a large update to the Mental Kombat Label Contest page. We've had six new entries come in during the past 24 hours and they're now online for your browsing pleasure:

- Chris Johnson - Submission #4

- Chris Johnson - Submission #5

- Eric March

- Efren Ramirez - Submission #2

- Dale Crum - Submission #1

- Dale Crum - Submission #2

Plus Chris Johnson sent us an update to his second submission. That brings the total number of labels to 17 so far, and we still have a week left!

..Al

The entries so far are unbelievable great! It seems to be already impossible to choose the ultimate winner of them all.

I first thought today of shipping the 100 cartridges with each 20 of the best 5 different labels (20 * 5 = 100 that would've meant) to get the best 5 entries honoured. But I came to the decision that there can only be one winning-label, because the instructions and the box should fit to the label design and I won't have 5 designs there aswell.

Waiting for more entries to make the decision even harder... ;-)

Simon

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Johnson:

[qb]and for the numbers, because neither of these Atari fonts match, I found that using Arial or Arial Narrow and subsituting the zeros in vertical "2600" for the letter O, it came as close as I was able to come. I found Century Gothic to be pretty close for the silver label 2600, at least for "26" -- I probably should have used the "O" though, instead of distorting a "0". Good tip.

It works fairly well. As you might tell from my submission (under Eric March) I actually didn't bother this time. Actually, I completely forgot about it 'til after I'd submitted it. :-) Oh well, perhaps I'll work up another one and try to do it a little more accurately. I'll try Century Gothic and see if that looks any better. I've got way too many fonts installed on my system, and going through them all is rather labourious. I tend to just pick a font that's close and use Windows' font manager to show me similar fonts. The problem with that is that more than half don't have any PANOSE information relating to font similarity. (Most are user-created fonts)

Is there a font viewer that'd let me enter some text, then browse through my installed fonts and see what the text I entered looks like in each typeface? That'd probably make life a lot easier for stuff like this.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Mindfield ]

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

Time for another Mental Kombat label submission!

-

We're now up to 19 different labels, submitted by 10 different individuals. Keep them coming, they all look great! These labels make me want to try my hand at a label, although I am quite deficient in the artistic ability department.

..Al

That's why God invented modellers and renderers. I'm not exactly a slouch at artistry, but don't ask me to draw a human being and expect it to look like it came from this planet. :-)

I've added five new labels and updated several others (mostly just updates to comply with the #00 - #99 numbering instead of 1 - 100). First, the new labels:

- Uwe Heinrich - Submission #2

- Dale Crum - Submission #3

- Efren Ramirez - Submission #3

- Efren Ramirez - Submission #4

- Eric March - Submission #2

And the updated labels:

- Eric March - Submission #1

- Jason Parlee - Submission #1

- Jason Parlee - Submission #2

- Jason Parlee - Submission #3

- Jason Parlee - Submission #4

- Uwe Heinrich - Submission #1

That brings the total number of labels to 24, unless I miscounted. I've been promised more labels soon and I look forward to seeing 'em! Keep up the great work, everyone!

..Al

(edited to add a fifth new label just after I initially posted this!)

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Albert ]

...and the entries keep rolling in. Nice work on those!

I noticed, John, that you decided to update your submission #2 using the Mephisto font like mine. Thief! (Or should that be, "Hey! Stop!" :-) Heh... looks good with the Cool3D/Xara-esque beveling. I opted for the plain white. It struck me as more "true" to the old Atari style carts. :-)

I think Simon is gonna hafta spend the rest of the month working out which one's the best of the lot. My second submission has yet to be posted, and I'm sure there are others rolling in; still got 4 days to go! :-)

quote:

Oop, scratch that, it was just posted. Dang, that was quick, Albert! I only just E-Mailed it to you not 20 minutes ago. :-)

Yep, you caught me just as I had wrapped up posting all the others. Had you been a few minutes later, it probably wouldn't have been posted for another 24 hours. Good timing!

..Al

Thanks once again for the new entries, once again another great update! Let's see what the final amount of entries will be? Maybe we could even beat the amount of 38 labels from the Gunfight-contest...

Al, please change the title of Efren Ramirez' third label from #2 to #3, just a little cut-and-paste bug in the numbers...

I finally decided to use the BW/Color-Switch for changing between PAL and NTSC in the game. I already adjusted the screen-positions, but have to add the different colors. Another possibility would have been producing two different carts for PAL and NTSC, I prefer the Switch-solution. What do you think?

In comparing the color tables of the TIA between PAL and NTSC I didn't find a yellow on the PAL palette. Is my color-chart wrong or what code do you use for yellow in PAL?

Simon