IGNORED

Game Idea: Gold Miner 2600

yuppicide

I'm not too lazy to learn. I just CAN'T learn outside of an actual classroom. When you're in a classroom you break up the book reading by doing exercises and taking turns reading or whatever.

I offered people here $500 to program me a game. That's pretty good if you ask me. Think about it. You design a game and sell it through AtariAge store and you ask $5 royalty per game when they sell. I'm giving that money to you in advance!

I have a crapload of game ideas that could work. I'm not saying I'm limited to just Atari.. if someone wants to do a 5200 or Colecovision game based on my ideas I'd pay for that also.

look, homebrewers don't do games for the money (possibly for fame and chicks, but definitely not money), and certainly not lousy $500 plus royalties.

and if you come up with a cool game idea, that's not enough. you also have to find a programmer who thinks that game idea is cool aswell, and *wants* to program it. for the programmers, it's all about fun.

plus, your game "ideas" often boil down to something like

"Someone should design a Tutankham II." period.

oh well.

Concept looks to be possible on the 2600 (definately on the 5200). No more than 2 objects on a scanline as long as the object grabbed "becomes" part of the claw (with the corresponding missile acting as the tow line). Hardware collision dectection to deal with objects hit. The graphics would definately need to be lower resolution, but the consoles should be able to pull off something similar.

Help with coding is always free around here. But finding a programmer to design the thing for you from scratch would probably take more than your offer.

If you want to get this off the ground, you'll have to take the first steps.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=31

No my game idea doesn't boil down to Tutankham II.. I have original game ideas that I only shared with the programmers around here. I even offered some people making a few homebrew games here money for their game and in return I'd get the boxes and carts made up and brought to shows like Philly Classic.

So, you really haven't seen any of my game ideas.

look, homebrewers don't do games for the money (possibly for fame and chicks, but definitely not money), and certainly not lousy $500 plus royalties.  

and if you come up with a cool game idea, that's not enough. you also have to find a programmer who thinks that game idea is cool aswell, and *wants* to program it. for the programmers, it's all about fun.

plus, your game "ideas" often boil down to something like

"Someone should design a Tutankham II." period.

oh well.

...or has got the time. Should be relatively easy to do I'd guess, but I've never designed a kernal...so I dunno :lol:

As far as "profits" go...it seems that a fair number of homebrews are operating at a loss (or pretty close to it) - so it would take more than a little interest for somebody to get motivated.

...or has got the time.  Should be relatively easy to do I'd guess, but I've never designed a kernal...so I dunno :lol:

As far as "profits" go...it seems that a fair number of homebrews are operating at a loss (or pretty close to it) - so it would take more than a little interest for somebody to get motivated.

I'd be willing to hack out the rough outline of this game...don't know if I'd be willing to set my own personal projects aside to finish it, though. But if someone else wants to add that special polish :), I'll rough something out.

If you mean me...I thought that the idea was to eventually have it finished? :lol:

But yeah, seems like a fun toy.  That flash game is a bit catchy

I didn't mean you specifically :)

For me, figuring out the technical stuff (counting cycles, optimizing code, writing kernels, etc.) is the funnest stuff; the "polish" stuff (making minor tweaks to graphics/sound/gameplay) is a bit more of a slog for me - (so I will probably never be a great or prolific hacker, since that is basically what most hacking is :D ) - so if I am going to see a game through to completion I need to be highly motivated or I will never get past the "working, but needs tweaking" stage.

So writing out a rough, working Gold Miner game sounds kinda fun - taking the time to really work on the graphics, sound, etc. doesn't sound like something I am willing to spend a lot of time on. :)

That is how they did it back in the 80's. One guy would be the lead programmer, and there would be one person for artwork, and maybe another for music/sound.

I think it would work out good to get a working kernal going and give it to one of the good hackers around here (with the source) and in the end get a great original game that isn't hacked at all.

That is how they did it back in the 80's. One guy would be the lead programmer, and there would be one person for artwork, and maybe another for music/sound.  

I think it would work out good to get a working kernal going and give it to one of the good hackers around here (with the source) and in the end get a great original game that isn't hacked at all.

With source? C'mon, that's no fun; too easy!

(jk, :D)

@nukey: most homebrews are at a loss or close to it?! okay.. then me paying someone $500 per game designed would be me taking the loss and them making money.

Well... :ponder:

look, homebrewers don't do games for the money (possibly for fame and chicks, but definitely not money)...

Right! :)

Back to the topic at hand... that is a pretty cool game. I can see it for the 2600. Nice, simple play mechanics. I'm not sure how you'd work the screens between levels though. Maybe with the bonus items stacked vertically so they didn't flicker. You could do without the guy behind the counter.

(And for what it's worth, $500 isn't much if you spend a couple-hundred hours programming something. I don't know how much time it takes to program a 2600 game, but I'm sure it adds up fast.)

Stacking objects in the "store" is fine, there's plenty of vertical space for detail, no need to reuse sprites, and no need to move the sprites while the display is being sent. Not even if they were to be multicolored (the ball could act as the cursor). The rest of the screen could be a playfield pic of anything...so long as it doesn't overlap the ball (if used).