• Ship 3
    • Ship 4
    • Ship 5
    • Ship 6
    • Ship 7
    • Ship 8

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hello,

I have begun working on a lunar lander clone for the VCS. I need some help to decide what the lander ship should look like. I have attached an image with some designs. The bigger the ship, the more details it can have. With a smaller ship however I can squeeze more landing zones and winding tunnels onto the playfield. So take a look at the designs and tell me which ones you prefer. Pretend they are numbered from top to bottom starting with the one at the top being number 1.

Cheers!

post-2784-1108423125_thumb.jpg

Hi there!

I have begun working on a lunar lander clone for the VCS.

You mean Jupiter Lander, no?

(Lunar Lander would have a rotating ship as in Thrust, Gravitar, Asteroids, Omega Race, Space War...)

Anyway, I like the first ship best. Cool to see a game like that finally in the works for the VCS! :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

I have begun working on a lunar lander clone for the VCS.

You mean Jupiter Lander, no?

(Lunar Lander would have a rotating ship as in Thrust, Gravitar, Asteroids, Omega Race, Space War...)

Anyway, I like the first ship best. Cool to see a game like that finally in the works for the VCS! :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Your right, Jupiter Lander. I considered the rotating ship of lander Lander, but that's more effort than I am interested in at this time.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

How about color stripes?

The problem there is that I am using VDELPx to get a single scanine of resolution for vertical positioning and the color registers are not supported with the VDELPx registers. So I would have to recolor the P0 sprite every scanline. I don't think I will have the cycles to do that in the current kernel because I am reusing P1 about 8 to 10 times for landing zone indicators and repositioning (as you know) can suck up nearly all the cycles in a scanline (Hence the striped background).

Cheers!

Hmmm, looking at the votes it seems that the biggest ship and one of the medium ships are getting the most votes. I am thinking that I can use the biggest ship and add the feature that the landing gear retracts, which will reduce the ship in size some. The player will then have to decide when to deploy or retract the landing gear.

For those worried that there will not be enough landing zones/variety, I am designing the kernel to allow vertical scrolling. I plan for the landing area to be a network of tunnels about 3 screens high. I know I will be able to fit 2 different landing zone layouts in 4K and possibly 3.

Thanks all for the feedback.

• 1 year later...
Any news regarding this project? :)

1021795[/snapback]

No updates. I haven't completely abandoned it, but since there was a Lunar Lander game on the Flashback 2, I have lost some of my interest in this project. I don't need Atari breathing down my neck because I made a better lander game than they did. It not dead, just hibernating. ;)