IGNORED

Anyone thirsty for some PoP?

salstadt

That's actually pretty neat. Since you would have to start from scratch, would you just pick a screen and try to render it as a starting point? Or, would you try to just get some engine code working (i.e. a running hero character against a backdrop)? Not trying to pry-- just curious about your approach.

-John

Yes, I'll start with a code to copy the background data from ROM, stores on extra RAM, then set the variables to draw the screen.

Later, the code for the floor bricks, then how to put enemies on screen, at this point I'll be able to build an entire level, although not working (enemies AI, traps, falling bricks, etc...)

For background I'll use a nibble for each PF, so with 2 bytes I have information for PF1-PF2-PF2-PF1. 6 bytes per screen.

I have an idea to animate the background for the falling bricks then I can display the pieces on the floor. It's needed as some switches require be activated by falling bricks.

• 1 year later...

It`s over.

Me and Chris have too many side projects, real life stuffs, personally I`m dedicating my free time to Odyssey 2 programming.

Anyone who want to code this game, feel free to do, but I only will help with my sprites and animation engine if you have at least one working stage.

This sucks but I think it`s better leave it behind than keep dreaming. :(

It`s over.

Me and Chris have too many side projects, real life stuffs, personally I`m dedicating my free time to Odyssey 2 programming.

Anyone who want to code this game, feel free to do, but I only will help with my sprites and animation engine if you have at least one working stage.

This sucks but I think it`s better leave it behind than keep dreaming. :(

Sorry to hear that... you'd done some amazing work on it. But maybe someone will take up the project again someday.

• Like 2

Please make sure that all your work is secured and backed up so more than just one or two people have access. Especially the animations you created are very valuable for anyone attempting this project in the future.

Thanks for all your work and good look with your other projects.

• Like 1

I'm afraid this is my fault - my personal circumstances have changed such that I can't take on a project of this size for the foreseeable future.

Ivan spent a lot of time completing the sprites and animations, and it would be great is someone else could take on this project.

Chris

Holy moly! I just tried popspikes and princeani during lunchbreak, and both animation and level look and feel totally awesome. I felt instandly teleported back to the DOS version and almost forgot that I was looking at a VCS.

Ivan, Chris, have you considered putting this on github as open source? I am not saying that I want to try and continue the project, I have far too many real world obligations for the foreseeable future (+ no experience with game-scale VCS development), but I would definitely like to take a peek and who knows who else might look at it and decide to give it a spin.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 2

I was not expecting people being so sad about this. :(

I'm afraid this is my fault - my personal circumstances have changed such that I can't take on a project of this size for the foreseeable future.

Ivan spent a lot of time completing the sprites and animations, and it would be great is someone else could take on this project.

Chris

Is not your fault, when I arrived the project was already dead, I tried to resurrect it but this is not how things works.

I decided to quit because it's not fun anymore.

After the animation demo, I lost interest because I did what I really wanted, a perfect POP animation code on Atari 2600.

I was very happy to make the sprites, this is something I used to do for fun years ago, so there's no problem for the time spend.

I still draw stuffs for nothing, like this Jessica Rabbit sprite :

post-10940-0-20240600-1498221205.gif

Please make sure that all your work is secured and backed up so more than just one or two people have access. Especially the animations you created are very valuable for anyone attempting this project in the future.

Thanks for all your work and good look with your other projects.

Thank you Thomas. I don`t know if there's something to be backed as the animation code is a mess and needs to be optimized, I'll see what is useful and send to Chris.

Sorry to hear that... you'd done some amazing work on it. But maybe someone will take up the project again someday.

Thanks Nathan. That would be cool.

I said only gonna help if a programmer show me a working level, to not feed any hopes and dreams anymore.

Ivan, Chris, have you considered putting this on github as open source? I am not saying that I want to try and continue the project, I have far too many real world obligations for the foreseeable future (+ no experience with game-scale VCS development), but I would definitely like to take a peek and who knows who else might look at it and decide to give it a spin.

There's nothing really. The "working demo" stage was made for starpath supercharger, and can't hold the prince animation data.

I think the source is out somewhere.

I'll post here all the good ROM files I have here, for posterity :

Unreleased storyboard music (by Chris Walton) : pop.bin

The famous working level (SuperCharger, by Chris Walton) : popspikes.bin

The intro storyboard animation (by me) : PoPstoryAnim.bin

And the playable prince animation (F8, by me) : princeanim.bin

Those are most relevant ones.

• Like 3

Yeah, this is really unfortunate the hear. This was an incredible project at the time and it's sad to see it shuttered, but totally understandable. Rarely do things like this get picked up and finished, but maybe...

Thanks for all the incredible work to get it this far.

:spidey:

• Like 2

Very nice!

With talk of "fault", I figured I'd say that there's no obligations when taking on homebrew projects. You guys fired up our imaginations with these kernels and demos. Job well done. Someone else can carry the torch, or not, but either way we're richer. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
On 1/8/2016 at 1:56 AM, LS_Dracon said:

After failed with F4SC (32 kb + 256 bytes of extra RAM) now I'm thinking to create a new ROM type based on Commavid's Video Life (1kb of extra RAM + 2 kb of ROM) but with possibility to bankswitch the 2kb of ROM.

This type was added to Stella at 1/26/2016 (named CV+). Has there ever been a ROM created for this?