IGNORED

About Atari Mirai...

Blur2040

On a side note, Game Over may have some rather significant errors.

Game Over is also riddled with factual errors that show Sheff either wasn't too much concerned with detail, or how much he was at the mercy of his interviewees. He attest's Nintendo's R&D teams the achievement of developing carts with 8 megabytes of memory for the original Famicom (an amount barely reached with the largest SNES cartridges), introduces Enix, a mildly successful publisher of home computer games before their first Famicom game made the market, as "a start-up formed specifically to create Nintendo games," writes about the 1984-released The Black Onyx that its creator "Rogers sold 100,000 copies in 1980."

http://hg101.kontek.net/vgbooks/vgbooks-gameover.htm#gameover

I haven't heard anything bad about Pheonix.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this today:

from Curt Vendel (Cvendel@aol.com)
(Atari Historical Society's virtual Atari museum):
The Atari Panther was going to be Atari's original video game console system before the Jaguar, it was a kludged combination of the Atari ST and the Transputer Blossom video card.

http://www.homecomputer.de/pages/panther.html

This sounds like the older, inaccurate information Curt had from one interview. I can't confirm that; the Wayback Machine no longer has an archive of The Atari History Museum. While it's not accurate for the Panther, could it be for the Mirai? It sounds a lot like what's already suspected. Could the interviewee have gotten the two mixed up?

(I'd actually say "kludged" is too harsh a word; combining and extending well-supported technology doesn't sound too bad.)

Edited by pacman000

• 1 year later...

With the release of the SUPER XE specs from Curt a couple of weeks ago, it feels like the MIRAI casing would have been used for this upgraded system. A sort of APPLE IIGS take on the ATARI 8-Bit architecture: Classic XL/XE mode sitting next to a 65C816 architecture. The use of the KERI chip would have been a standout.

• 4 months later...
On 7/5/2019 at 6:57 PM, LJL Kunio said:

Looking at Digital Press I found this and it made me remember the Mirai. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qzMLZCka7GEVHBDAhbblo39kuW4Cf_cu/view?usp=sharing

SNK appears in the manual of Midnight Mutant with copyright of Atari 7800 in 1990, but SNK did not release the game.
Could this be related to this? 

Here's the same scan right here on AA...

https://atariage.com/manual_page.php?SystemID=7800&SoftwareLabelID=702&ItemTypeID=&currentPage=1&maxPages=10

Makes me curious about Midnight Mutants development. 

So let me get this straight.

SNK is credited on one line of text in the back of the manual, but not on the cover, nor on the back of the box, nor on the front, nor on the cart sticker, nor on the title screen. (which is completely unheard of btw when it comes to crediting 2nd party developers) In addition, there has never been any information or documentation which states that SNK designed this game nor was involved with it in any way shape or form. But regardless, a wild assumption is made based on what could have merely been an editing text error when the manual was printed.

Come on people. Ikari Warriors had just been released prior to Midnight Mutants. Which was an SNK game. Surely it’s possible that a rushed or botched copy & paste job by the art department editor was more likely.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2019 at 8:43 PM, Supergun said:

So let me get this straight.

SNK is credited on one line of text in the back of the manual, but not on the cover, nor on the back of the box, nor on the front, nor on the cart sticker, nor on the title screen. (which is completely unheard of btw when it comes to crediting 2nd party developers) In addition, there has never been any information or documentation which states that SNK designed this game nor was involved with it in any way shape or form. But regardless, a wild assumption is made based on what could have merely been an editing text error when the manual was printed.

Come on people. Ikari Warriors had just been released prior to Midnight Mutants. Which was an SNK game. Surely it’s possible that a rushed or botched copy & paste job by the art department editor was more likely.

That's extremely likely.

• 2 weeks later...