IGNORED

KrokCom for OS X

SpiceWare

I'm proud to announce version 0.1 of KrokCom You'll need a USB Serial Port adapter, such as this one by Keyspan.

As a version 0.1, it's quite limited(also, it's a command line program which is why it has such a short name :ponder: ). However, it can do the most important function of sending bin files to the Krokodile Cartridge under Mac OS X :)

While you cannot currently make multicartridge files with KrokCom, you can use it to send ones you've created on a Windows based computer.

Download Version 0.2

64-bit executable and source can be found in reply #76 

Wow, that didn't take very long. :) I just ordered one of those KeySpan adapters, and I'm very much looking forward to it arriving so I can program my Krokodile Cart in OS X instead of Windows. Do you think you'll add the ability to create multi-cart images down the road?

..Al

Cool! Can't wait to try it out.

Of course... I actually have to get my Kroko Cart first.

I think I'm probably slated to be part of the fourth or fifth batch. (That's what you get when you don't actually pay for it. ;) )

You're right at the top of the list for the next batch, so you won't be waiting too much longer. :) I anticipate they'll be available by the end of April.

..Al

Do you think you'll add the ability to create multi-cart images down the road?
Yep, just waiting on the specs on how to create the multi-cart image(specifically how to set up the selection menu). We're gearing up for a major system upgrade at work so I might not be able to due much more on KrokCom until after the upgrade's finished(mid April). This past weekend was "the calm before the storm", so I'm glad I was able to get 0.1 out the door.

Hey Stingray - nice job on the Mini! Might be interesting to put a mini in your Mini, call it Mini Squared :)

• 2 weeks later...

Made some headway this weekend.

• revamped the code to make it easier to work on. Ver 0.1 was a modified version of KeySpan's Mac OS X Sample Code for Serial Ports

• The 3E and 3F bankswitching types work correctly now, they required some extra data to be sent that I wasn't aware of while doing the first release.

• added MD5 routines. The MD5 value for a cartridge will be displayed when it is loaded. This makes it easier for you to look up the bankswitching type in the Stella.pro file.(KrokCom will eventually look it up for you).

• MultiCart creation works for 4K games. However, at the moment it only creates the MultiCart based on a list of files that's hardcoded in the program.

• Ver 0.2 will be released once I modify the MultiCart routines to
  • support 8K, 16K and 32K games
  • read the list from a file instead of inside the program

Found a minor bug in the MultiCart routines. If you don't put a RETURN after the last cartridge filename in the list, it will not get loaded into the Krok Cart.

I've fixed the problem, but am in the middle of writing the database routines for looking up the cartridge types. So until the next update, just remember to put a RETURN at the end of the MultiCart Creation File.

Hey Nathan - would you be able to create an OS X style icon for KrokCom?

Sure thing. Is there a Win version I should base it on, or just create a new one?

There is a Windows icon, but OS X icons are higher resolution (128x128) than Windows icons. I suggest creating a new icon from scratch for the recommended sizes (128x128, 32x32 and 16x16, integrated into one file). You should already have all the source artwork you need (for obvious reasons), but if you need anything from me, please let me know. Here's some information on Apple's site about creating icons for OS X:

Apple Human Interface Guidelines > Icons

..Al

There is a Windows icon, but OS X icons are higher resolution (128x128) than Windows icons.

Here's some information on Apple's site about creating icons for OS X:  

Apple Human Interface Guidelines > Icons

Thanks for the info regarding the Win icon. For some reason, I thought Win icons were the same size. I've made a few OS X icons already (I did the MacMAME ones), so I've already looked over (and generally ignored) Apple's guidelines. ;)

Thanks for the info regarding the Win icon. For some reason, I thought Win icons were the same size. I've made a few OS X icons already (I did the MacMAME ones), so I've already looked over (and generally ignored) Apple's guidelines. ;)

Cool, didn't know you did those icons. :) Look forward to seeing the Krokodile Commander icon you create for OS X!

..Al

• 3 weeks later...
Is this the same one?

http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?un=324093&s=1

it list for only 24.95$

844309[/snapback]

Yep, USA-19HS is listed as the manufacturer's number.

844317[/snapback]

Damn, I just ordered something else at TheNerds.net yesterday and it didn't even dawn on me to look for this adapter there. Their shipping prices are a bit high, so I could have probably saved some money by ordering it at the same time as the other items I bought.

..Al

Upgraded to Tiger and have some GREAT NEWS!

You can now drag files to TextEdit and it will drop the full path/filename in for you! You no longer have to edit the multicart files in a terminal :thumbsup:

Edited by SpiceWare

Upgraded to Tiger and have some GREAT NEWS!

You can now drag files to TextEdit and it will drop the full path/filename in for you!  You no longer have to edit the multicart files in a terminal  :thumbsup:

847661[/snapback]

That's good to know. I keep finding all sorts of nice improvements in Tiger. :)

..Al

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...