IGNORED

KrokCom for OS X

SpiceWare

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I am about to make my multicart with v.2.

Ive read the manual which is quite nice.

ITs appears as simple as draggin the .bin files to the text file.

But do all the carts need to be 8K roms (the same)? How do i know which ones are 8K vs 4K vs etc?

Need some assistance with perhaps the fundamentals here...

A 4K multicart can contain 2K and 4K games.

An 8K multicart can contain 2K, 4K and 8K games. The 8K can only be of type F8 bankswitching and cannot use extra RAM (the F8SC are not allowed).

A 16K multicart can contain 2K, 4K and 16K games(no 8K). The 16K can only be type F6.

A 32K multicart can contain 2K, 4K and 32K games(no 8K or 16K). The 32K can only be type F4.

To determine the size change your folder to the list view (Apple-2) and look at the size. Note - this won't tell you if the cart uses extra RAM or a different bankswitching method than Atari used. You can check the Stella.pro file from an older version of Stella for that.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think I am too dumb to figure out the current program for the Mac--it just does not seem to recognize the cart. Count me among those eager for a GUI, though I know how real life goes! I just use my wife's PC for now...

• 4 months later...

nope, don't have Snow Leopard to test with.

Ive got Snow Leopard and just realized krokcom is a powerpc binary.

Any chances of getting a Universal Binary so it will work with Snow Leopard?

Yikes - that is bad news. Not about Krokcom, but that Snow Leopard means the end of PowerPC support (and presumably, binaries will soon be x86 only.) Guess it's time to upgrade the old iBook (even though it's still working great!)

Yikes - that is bad news. Not about Krokcom, but that Snow Leopard means the end of PowerPC support (and presumably, binaries will soon be x86 only.) Guess it's time to upgrade the old iBook (even though it's still working great!)

Yeah... my G5 iMac is in a similar predicament. (Although "great" is a bit of an exaggeration in its case.) I'd like to get a new Mac, but I just don't have the money for it right now.

Snow Leopard will run PowerPC code - Apple just changed Rosetta to be an optional install.

Oops - I meant to quote #40 as I'd just realized that jchiar didn't think the current build of KrokCom could run on Snow Leopard.

Yeah i didnt know Snow Leopard could run Power PC apps. I also didnt realize you could install support for rosetta with the custom install option for Snow.

Anyhows, it appear to run under rosetta, but if you could still compile out an Intel binary, it would be great. Hate to say , but it appears Apples is EOL PowerPC stuff.

I think I am too dumb to figure out the current program for the Mac--it just does not seem to recognize the cart. Count me among those eager for a GUI, though I know how real life goes! I just use my wife's PC for now...

You still having issues?

Any way here is how to verify your setup is correct:

Install USB drivers from Keyspan.

expand krokcom zip.

Launch terminal

Drag the krockcom executable to the terminal window. Enter to run.

Last login: Fri Aug 28 09:38:25 on ttys001

imac:~ joe$ ~/Users/joe/Downloads/krokcom\ 0.2/krokcom

L L LLLL LLL L L LLLL LLL L L

L L L L L L L L L L L LL LL

LLL LLLL L L LLL L L L L L L

L L L L L L L L L L L L L

L L L L LLL L L LLLL LLL L L

KrokCom for Mac OS X

by Darrell Spice, Jr. - www.spiceware.org

for use with the Krokodile Cartridge - www.arminvogl.de/KrokodileCartridge/

Com # Port

----- ------------------------

0 /dev/tty.KeySerial1

1 /dev/tty.USA19Hfd33P1.1

2 /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync

Type h for help

KrokCom-=> o1

opened /dev/tty.USA19Hfd33P1.1

Switching to 115200 baud

KrokCom-=> k

Krokodile Cartridge Revision 1.1

KrokCom-=>

If you get this far, its not a hardware issue.

Let us know if you got this far..

I'm still trying to find time to get my GUI-based KrokCom software released. It's written for Qt toolkit, and already compiles in Linux and Windows. It works fine in Linux, but Windows needs more testing. Adding support for OSX shouldn't be too hard, but I just can't a chance to work on it. The code is available at http://krokcom.sf.net, but you need to use Subversion to check it out. And it doesn't yet support multi-cart, only single carts. I would say I could finish it in about a week, but I'm tied up with the next major release of Stella.

Yeah... my G5 iMac is in a similar predicament. (Although "great" is a bit of an exaggeration in its case.) I'd like to get a new Mac, but I just don't have the money for it right now.

Welcome aboard my ship. Now software is starting to come out that is x86 only. I may have to buy a used x86 first generation Mac.

Allan