IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2.0 now listed @ Gamestop...

Sure!  Perhaps it will look even better on the FB2!?   :ponder:  

Not that those screenshots look terrible though... I recall plugging many quarters into the arcade machine and always dreamed that the 2600 would have a version.  Heck, I've put up with Pac-Man and Donkey Kong on the 2600.. Tempest would be the Hat Trick!   :D  

Try playing the rom in emulation. Tempest's completely unplayable. If you want Tempest on a 2600, give Beamrider a try. ;)

BTW, Hat Trick would be an awesome port to see. :grin: :P

Bummer... But! Perhaps the FB2 could have a new rebuilt version?   :roll:  

I suppose anything's possible, take a look at how wel vector graphics were simulated in various Asteroids and Space Invaders hacks. The main problem is that there wouldn't be an adequate controller to support it.

anyone have a link to the the info for this flashback 2.0? The first ones not working..

My guess is they weren't supposed to add it to their store yet and Atari asked them to take it down. Too bad someone didn't grab a screenshot. There wasn't much to see, though, no pictures and no detailed description. I suspect we'll hear more about the Flashback 2 soon with some official announcements from Atari. :)

..Al

I'd be quite curious to know what the FB2's menu for the built-in games is like, especially if it runs through the 2600-style hardware.

I guess the other possibility is to have some extra off-the-shelf hardware for the sole purpose of running the menu. (maybe some other odd stuff, like adding pause functionality to 2600 games.)

I'd be quite curious to know what the FB2's menu for the built-in games is like, especially if it runs through the 2600-style hardware.

I guess the other possibility is to have some extra off-the-shelf hardware for the sole purpose of running the menu. (maybe some other odd stuff, like adding pause functionality to 2600 games.)

*drools*

Pause button... if it works on real cartridges...

:D

Seeing as Sinistar is a Williams game, that's out of the running. Perhaps we'll get a surprise from the past yet!

Re: the pause function possibility, is it even possible? I suppose it would be hardware oriented rather than software making it possible. :ponder:

It would be awesome to have the ability to play carts and pause them when the phone rings or whatever. We'll have to see if that is possible. Was there a pause function on FB1?

So is there a console typeshape rumor even yet? I read in this thread about the Jr. Style but that was just speculation and "Words Of Curt" to go on as to the console shapestyle? A mini Sixer would be cool, A vader would be nice also. J/r would be ok but its already small, lets see a small golden oldie!!

• 1 month later...
flash·back (flshbk)

n.  

1. An unexpected recurrence of the effects of a hallucinogenic drug long after its original use.  

2. A recurring, intensely vivid mental image of a past traumatic experience.

3. An "Journey" iPod made with vacuum tubes.  See #1.

819533[/snapback]

:rolling: :lol: :lolblue:

We'll see when it comes out. Curt isn't telling us anything other than the modability of it. Which, is the reason why I'm buying 3. One to play on, one to mod, one to turn into a portable ;)

Hey Curt, any idea how well those little orange buttons would hold model paint? I figure a layer of metallic silver would do wonders for the visual authenticity.

Good idea, that orange is hideous. Having done some model/miniature painting on plastic, you could probably use an acrylic silver paint, and then coat it with an enamel gloss sealer. My bro and I play Warhammer occasionally, and I haven't had any flaking yet.

As long as it has some method of wiring up a cartridge port, it should be possible to hardwire a multicart EPROM into it without the limitations of having to fit the thing into a cartridge or cartridge slot, or much of any size restrictions.  Just drop in a proto board with a few chips on it.

You can be sure there is a board with two 27C160's and a FPGA into my desk, just waiting for the new toy :o)