IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2.0 now listed @ Gamestop...

Hi there!

Keep in mind that many of the homebrews probably would not qualify for this type of commercial release due to some of the copyrights and trademarks being infringed.. ie. most (all?) of Manuel's games.

I can confirm that none of my games is on it. I also rejected an offer like "Can you do a port of X in 7-8 weeks?".

I probably could've done it when being asked 3-4 months earlier, but having a real life inclusive a real job, I saw no chance of delivering a proper game with a deadline so close :sad:

So no, I didn't boycott Atari, but there's also no participation from me in the project.

I really hope this one turns out better than the first Flashback though, and if so, that it makes it's way over to Europe this time :)

Greetings,

Manuel

I hope this flashback helps improve relations between the homebrew community and Atari (if it already hasn't). It looks like Atari did some listening!

I'm guessing that if the unit is as promising as it sounds, I'll be one of those people who go out and buy two of them. :D

I really hope this one turns out better than the first Flashback though, and if so, that it makes it's way over to Europe this time :)

I have a friend who purchased the Flashback (she had a 7800 when she was young) - she was so disappointed with it (ie. "What the hell is this?") that she ended up asking me to get her a real 7800... I wonder how many similar stories there are out there?

I am actually looking forward to checking this unit out though... 8)

Are the controllers going to be larger, more comfortable and more usable this time around?  I honestly didn't think it was possible to make a controller more uncomfortable than the pro-line until I saw the mini pro-line that came with flashback 1.

Expect an old classic, favorite controller to be making a come back with FB2

Curt

Are the controllers going to be larger, more comfortable and more usable this time around?  I honestly didn't think it was possible to make a controller more uncomfortable than the pro-line until I saw the mini pro-line that came with flashback 1.

Curt

While that's good to hear, I was hoping for something with both a paddle and joystick built in for the paddle games, similar to an Arcade II or at least for standard DB9/legacy compatability. Playing games like Warlords and Circus with a joystick isn't fun.

It IS fantastic news, and makes me very excited.  It would have been even better, though, if there were already a cartridge slot...

I think it would have increased sales, since I know there are people out there with games and no working console,

and increased interest in the market for carts (which could be both good and bad, of course).

It would've increased customer support problems, not sales. You as a company, do you want to have your 800 support #'s ringing off the hook trying to help persons who pulled their dusty old cartridges that haven't been plugged in for 20 years into the console and don't work for numerous reasons? Especially having to support cartridges that this Atari didn't directly sell and make any money from? Or someone called and thought the Intellivision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Atari Home Computer, Atari Jaguar 64, Colecovision carts just don't seem to plug in and work, in the end Atari would be paying out of pocket with the release of FB 2. Dreams and wishlists are great, but not always when it comes to business and profit. You have to look at products from both sides, not just your own.

Curt

I wonder if Thomas' mini-games will be included? :ponder:

Possibly. Also you know what? We haven't heard anything lately from Alex Herbert and about the release of his Man Goes Down game. I predict that Man Goes Down will be built-in.

Rob Mitchell' date=' Atlanta, GA[/quote']

...and whatever happened to the 'Shark! Shark!' game? It's been 2 weeks since the "name this game" contest ended... :ponder:

Sorry - no more spec from me... ;)

Expect an old classic' date=' favorite controller to be making a come back with FB2[/quote']

CX40's new at retail... :love:

Possibly.  Also you know what?  We haven't heard anything lately from Alex Herbert and about the release of his Man Goes Down game.  I predict that Man Goes Down will be built-in.

I thought that one was being developed with the Atarivox in mind, or am I confusing it with another WIP homebrew?

Curt

While that's good to hear, I was hoping for something with both a paddle and joystick built in for the paddle games, similar to an Arcade II or at least for standard DB9/legacy compatability. Playing games like Warlords and Circus with a joystick isn't fun.

I wasn't aware those games were included. If you want to play paddle games and own paddle game cartridges, why not just plug in a pair of paddles when you plug in the paddle game?

Curt

It would've increased customer support problems, not sales.

Well, it could have increased Infogames revenues/profits by allowing them to either sell new copies of the older games -- or develop new games and sell them.

Just looking at it from the other side....

Curt

I wasn't aware those games were included. If you want to play paddle games and own paddle game cartridges, why not just plug in a pair of paddles when you plug in the paddle game?

Curt

Curt is going to get himself into trouble...

I think I could write the press release from the info he's "given" at this point...:lol:

I wasn't aware those games were included.      If you want to play paddle games and own paddle game cartridges, why not just plug in a pair of paddles when you plug in the paddle game?

Someone like my brother who does not own the originals doesn't have those options. His biggest criticism of Flashback 1 was that the controllers broke rather quickly and really hurt his hands. His generation grew up with keypad type controllers. From what I've seen from people in his age group was that they were very receptive to the Space Invaders collection and the Paddle Collection plug and plays and did not like the joystick/button type plug and plays like the Jakks joysticks. If you're marketing to the 14-26 y.o audience, keep in mind they grew up with NES pads, not joysticks, but that many of them have become interested in pre-1984 systems thanks in part to shows like Gameheadz and channels like TechTV. :wink:

I wonder if Thomas' mini-games will be included?  :ponder:

Possibly. Also you know what? We haven't heard anything lately from Alex Herbert and about the release of his Man Goes Down game. I predict that Man Goes Down will be built-in.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

...and whatever happened to the 'Shark! Shark!' game? It's been 2 weeks since the "name this game" contest ended...

Nope. Fishie/Shark!Shark!/Unnamed game will not be on the FB2. The reason for radio silence is that it is undergoing major revisions. Plus, I've, erm, been a bit, uh, distracted. :D But I hope to have a new binary, complete with a name, out in the next week. Or so. :ponder:

Several NEW, never before seen Atari arcade game ports

To expand on my previous post, if this is true, you know we don't have the option of plugging in a cart into the original if we wanted trakball or paddle support from like in the original arcade versions unless all the new games were joystick only to begin with. :ponder:

To expand on my previous post, if this is true, you know we don't have the option of plugging in a cart into the original if we wanted trakball or paddle support from like in the original arcade versions unless all the new games were joystick only to begin with. :ponder:

You may want to revisit that sentence.. I (and I may be alone) can't make heads or tails of it... :sad:

Hm, I wonder if Elevator Action has made its way onto FB2? :ponder: