IGNORED

Atari Flashback 2.0 now listed @ Gamestop...

I want to know what this thing will look like ?

And its still hard for me to think it will have Homebrew games... If there are Homebrews on it then are the Homebrews officially not Homebrews anymore and will they now be officially Atari games ?

I think that a game acquires the description of "homebrew" if it was coded by an individual or small team using their own resources, and subsequently released by them on a limited scale. This is different from games that were compiled under similar circumstances ("Miner 2049'er"), and then acquired and marketed by software houses for a commercial market.

I have to as a stupid question but what is the NES on a chip thing ? Is it a chip made by Nintendo to run the atari flashback 1 ?

It is used on all pirated "Famiclone" consoles, like the power joy, mega joy 3 are the most popular. However they did make strange ones like a company made a PSOne lookalike and when you opened the lid, it was a famiclone. Its exactly what it is, a NES on a chip, and no, not affiliated with Nintendo in any way.

I have to as a stupid question but what is the NES on a chip thing ? Is it a chip made by Nintendo to run the atari flashback 1 ?

It's basically what it sounds like... a clone of NES-type hardware on a chip. So in a nutshell, the Flashback 1 could've played Megaman 2 along with the Atari games they programmed in there if they wanted it to :)

Speaking of which.. I'm not a nitpicker. I got the Flashback 1 sheerly for the heck of it. I haven't opened it yet, but oh well... I just wanted it. I'll be snagging this Flashback 2 as well, but I just may have to open that one based upon what's been said here :D

It is used on all pirated "Famiclone" consoles, like the power joy, mega joy 3 are the most popular. However they did make strange ones like a company made a PSOne lookalike and when you opened the lid, it was a famiclone. Its exactly what it is, a NES on a chip, and no, not affiliated with Nintendo in any way.

Sounds illegal and cheap. Just no imagination, only a clone chip famicom thing !

I avoided the Flashback 1 based purely on the fact that the innards were Nintendo-oriented and the games were ported, and poorly at that. It may look kinda cool, and maybe I'd pick it up in a $5 dump bin or something, but other than that it's a curiosity at best.

I think however I may have to actively search out the Flashback 2 after its release. this is going to be much more like it -- and hackable, too.

I love the smell of solder in the morning. :-)

It's basically what it sounds like... a clone of NES-type hardware on a chip. So in a nutshell, the Flashback 1 could've played Megaman 2 along with the Atari games they programmed in there if they wanted it to :)

Speaking of which.. I'm not a nitpicker. I got the Flashback 1 sheerly for the heck of it. I haven't opened it yet, but oh well... I just wanted it. I'll be snagging this Flashback 2 as well, but I just may have to open that one based upon what's been said here :D

clone = cheap. why atari why ? after many years they come to this...

It's interesting to see the different reaction this time around. Of course, that is a good thing. From all that has been said, I am quite excited about the Flashback 2.0. It will certainly have a place in my collection :D The price listed on Gamestop is also better for launch than the FB1. Nothing but good things on the FB2 so far.

This Flashback 2.0 seems good but I said it before and will say it again,

make it have a card port thing like e-reader game boy thing had or Sega master system card port. Sell the system for $20.00 and games the size of a card at $5.00 - $7.00..

You get the feel of a real system and for kids its a great starter system and parents that cant buy a new PS2 or worried about inappropriate games.

Hi there!

The first flashback runs 5 7800 games. Are you not aware of this?

Didn't you say it's powered by a NES chip? As fas as I know, a NES can't run 7800 games. How would they do that?

The games on the Flashback are NOT the original games. They were ported/reprogrammed to work on the NES on a chip thingie.

That is PRECISELY how it was marketed, advertised, and SOLD however.

Manual - your sarcasm is duely noted.

Thinking about the company strategy here (cost effective)... I can see a system similar to the Atari Jr... perhaps the same size as the Flashback 1... making the unit a little smaller than a normal Jr.

Now that is a possibility... but for fun Atari can place a cover over the cartridge slot. When you open up the system you can pop out the plastic cover (no tools, no soldering... just a couple plastic clips and it pops out!) and voila! A mini Jr!

That's another possibility! :)

For the record though, I still like the idea of multi carts that are like the music clip things the kids had a few years back! (I still like this collect em all idea for 2600 games!) Can't wait for some more info.

Hey Curt... any tidbits to throw at us? How about Tempest on the Flashback 2? It's been talked about as a prototype... maybe this can become a reality!?

. why atari why ?

It's clear to me that the guys over at the current Atari have a level of respect for the name and the games of the era. But that doesn't make entering into the hardware business an easy decision. The original Flashback was obviously a way to test the waters before going ahead with a full product. Using the NES-on-a-chip ensured that they could get a working product (if not a particularly accurate one) on the market fast and relatively inexpensively. The success of this initial offering was enough to convince them to go ahead with a more ambitious agenda.

This is what many people were saying was going on back when everyone was bitching about the original Flashback.

And people are ignoring Curt again, I think. Did you notice he said:

if you want to play brand new Atari 2600 titles, you'll only be playing them on the Flashback line of consoles. (excluding FB1 since its not real Atari hardware)

"line of consoles"...but excludes the only other one we've heard of so far?

This may be a more ambitious project than I thought...

And its still hard for me to think it will have Homebrew games... If there are Homebrews on it then are the Homebrews officially not Homebrews anymore and will they now be officially Atari games ?

You do know that seven 2600 homebrews were already included on the Actvision Anthology for GBA?

Climber 5

Okie Dokie

Oystron

Skelton +

Space Treat Deluxe

Vault Assault

Euchre

As long as it has some method of wiring up a cartridge port, it should be possible to hardwire a multicart EPROM into it without the limitations of having to fit the thing into a cartridge or cartridge slot, or much of any size restrictions. Just drop in a proto board with a few chips on it.

And of course there's the possibility of making a portable 2600 out of this, with much better battery life than with the real chips. I'll only be a little disappointed if it doesn't run 7800 games, because I think eventually a future version will have 7800 support.

The original Flashback was obviously a way to test the waters before going ahead with a full product.  Using the NES-on-a-chip ensured that they could get a working product (if not a particularly accurate one) on the market fast and relatively inexpensively.  The success of this initial offering was enough to convince them to go ahead with a more ambitious agenda.

But if they had any market sense then they should have known that you don't offer people samples of things to come if it's going to leave a bad taste in their mouth no matter how good it looked. The original Flashback was a good idea with horrible execution. It looked like nothing so much as a hastily cobbled together piece of me-too equipment trying to cash in on the success of the Jakk's units -- and the Jakk's units still looked better in the end. If Flashback 1 was just to test the waters, then all they managed to do was poison them with inferior product.

I mean, sure, we're not exactly the target demographic; all of these TV-games units cater to the Wal Mart impulse-buying thirty-somethings and fourty-somethings who stumble across it and say "Hey, I remember those games, that looks cool!" with a side of introducing new generations to the greatness of the classics. We're part of the hardcore "Been there, done that, still do and on the original hardware" clique that's a much smaller segment on the outer fringes of the target demographic. We know fake when we see it, and we know the real thing when we see it -- and that's also precisely why we're looking at this new unit as a do-over for the first one. Joe Consumer might not be so forgiving if they felt the first outing wasn't very good because most of them are not in the loop like us lot.

the inclusion of homebrews on the FB2 makes me very nervous. With Infogrames' capitalist need to control everything, I fear that it will mean the end of homebrews (at least some) in the good old cart form the way we have been getting them. This may mean no Man Goes Down on cart, FB2 exclusive, no Thomas Mini-Games on cart, FB2 exclusive, no Ultra SCSCIcide on cart, FB2 exclusive, you get the idea. We homebrew lovers may be shelling out a load of cash just to get new homebrews on a totally new console that just sends more money into Infogrames coffers rather than getting them for play on our original systems.

I like the idea of Infogrames working with the classic community, but we must bear in mind that we are working with capitalist weasels who are constantly looking at profit first and everything else later. This may look good now, but it may be a deal with the devil that comes back and bites us in the ass. It will all depend on how genuinely friendly Infogrames is...

Cautiously watching....

the inclusion of homebrews on the FB2 makes me very nervous.  With Infogrames' capitalist need to control everything, I fear that it will mean the end of homebrews (at least some) in the good old cart form the way we have been getting them.  This may mean no Man Goes Down on cart, FB2 exclusive, no Thomas Mini-Games on cart, FB2 exclusive, no Ultra SCSCIcide on cart, FB2 exclusive, you get the idea.  We homebrew lovers may be shelling out a load of cash just to get new homebrews on a totally new console that just sends more money into Infogrames coffers rather than getting them for play on our original systems.

What makes you think they'll be exclusive? In fact, if they were to approach me, I'd make sure the E-word is nowhere near the contract unless they're paying me a LOT of money for it to be there. I would certainly hope they wouldn't be slimy enough to think they can get away with sneaking that into a contract without reasonable compenstation.

I don't think we should be getting all worked up in speculation when we basically don't know any details yet other than what it doesn't have. How about let's cool it for a while with all these wild-ass assumptions until we hear some real information?

the inclusion of homebrews on the FB2 makes me very nervous.  With Infogrames' capitalist need to control everything, I fear that it will mean the end of homebrews (at least some) in the good old cart form the way we have been getting them.  This may mean no Man Goes Down on cart, FB2 exclusive, no Thomas Mini-Games on cart, FB2 exclusive, no Ultra SCSCIcide on cart, FB2 exclusive, you get the idea.  We homebrew lovers may be shelling out a load of cash just to get new homebrews on a totally new console that just sends more money into Infogrames coffers rather than getting them for play on our original systems.

I like the idea of Infogrames working with the classic community, but we must bear in mind that we are working with capitalist weasels who are constantly looking at profit first and everything else later.  This may look good now, but it may be a deal with the devil that comes back and bites us in the ass.  It will all depend on how genuinely friendly Infogrames is...

Cautiously watching....

Stan...Stan...Stan...

Look out behind you! It's a capitalist out to take all your money, intellectual property and leave you with nothing! :D

What's with all the hatin' for capitalism? It's not a dirty word, you know. Good old fashioned "let's make money" capitalists have brought us things like Atari, pizza, Spider-Man, etc. etc. (And bad things too, of course. No one's perfect...)

If some "homebrews" become proper product, who loses? You? The homebrewer?

What if Atari did want an exclusive deal? (It would have to be a deal, they can't just *take* them.) You'd deny the homebrewer a chance to make real money on a product they worked on and a chance to have their work enjoyed by many more thousands of people than otherwise possible just so you can play it on an original 2600? Just whose interests are you looking after?

Anyway, did any of this happen with Activision Anthology? No. Why do you think it would happen here? The premise is the same.

And there *are* going to be exclusives on this, if I'm reading it right. As I understand it, there are several brand new 2600 ports of classic Atari arcade games on this thing programmed by homebrewers. These, as I understand it, will *not* be coming out on cartridge. They will be on the Flashback "line" only. Atari is giving gamers truly new 2600 games. By making them ports of titles Atari already owns, they get their exclusive content without having to resort to dastardly capatalist shenanigans.

What makes you think they'll be exclusive?  In fact, if they were to approach me, I'd make sure the E-word is nowhere near the contract unless they're paying me a LOT of money for it to be there.  I would certainly hope they wouldn't be slimy enough to think they can get away with sneaking that into a contract without reasonable compenstation.

I don't think we should be getting all worked up in speculation when we basically don't know any details yet other than what it doesn't have.  How about let's cool it for a while with all these wild-ass assumptions until we hear some real information?

The only reason I fear exclusive is because of Infogrames activity in the past with things like JoustPong etc. They don't want anyone playing with their toys unless they get $$, and really not even then.

But yes, this is all just wild speculation at this point. I'm just giving an initial reaction to what has been said thus far, like everyone else has been doing. I don't need scolded for that, I don't think. I have no idea what is really going to happen or what the real project even is. Just voicing initial concerns.

What makes you think they'll be exclusive? In fact, if they were to approach me, I'd make sure the E-word is nowhere near the contract unless they're paying me a LOT of money for it to be there. I would certainly hope they wouldn't be slimy enough to think they can get away with sneaking that into a contract without reasonable compenstation.

I don't think we should be getting all worked up in speculation when we basically don't know any details yet other than what it doesn't have. How about let's cool it for a while with all these wild-ass assumptions until we hear some real information?

I don't see anything wrong with the speculation going on. It provides a sense of entertainment and it's somewhat exciting. :)

After all, Curt is probably getting a good chuckle out of some of these ideas and perhaps taking notes for future products! LOL! :ponder: Ok maybe not...

At least while we speculate we are sharing ideas and having fun. More fun doing this than what most people would say they had with the first Flashback unit. I for one never bothered with it but perhaps I will once the price drops and feel like having the wife play a round of Food Fight. (Never played it before on console so we both wouldn't know it's a bad emulation or port or whatnot).

I also like how Curt drops these morsels of info for us. So.. as I've been a glutton for punishment with some questions.. here's another question for Curt.

Will the Flashback 2 consist solely of a single boxed item (ie the system and pack in accessories) like the Flashback 1 or will there be more than a single item to buy (ie expansions, controllers etc etc?). I'd really like to see an ambiguous answer to this one! :D

It's like when I used to look at the mail order listings for Atari 2600 games back in the 80's (You know the ads in Electronic Games magazine... the black and white ad with lists of games.. some not yet released etc.) my buddies and I would look through the lists and speculate as to what these games would be like on the VCS. Some were good and some... well not so good.

This is an exciting time for Atari and I'm excited about it! I mean, it's one thing for a system to be released that plays old games from the past but how about a system that will have NEVER BEFORE PLAYED ATARI 2600 GAMES!?!?!? WOW!

Add the fact that we can now use Paddle Controllers for Paddle Games (Super Breakout maybe? Or Circus Atari?) and it seems like we'll have original Atari Joysticks that come in the box with the unit, what's not to be excited about?

Sure I'm cautious after the first Flashback but this one has potential!

Now I wonder... how many games will this new unit have? 20 or more than 20? I'm hoping for 30+ games, with expandability of some sort of course!

Sounds illegal and cheap. Just no imagination, only a clone chip famicom thing !

The chip itself is illegal, and that is why Nintendo is starting to actually get to the people making these.