IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

There is no way Atari could verify millions of carts as being crushed down to the very last cart. That would cost more than the writeoff would save them to personally verify this. There are certainly a percentage of carts that remain playable, probably just intact PCBs but also carts that just didn't get properly crushed.

I'm sure the concrete alone was enough to consider the carts unusable.

I'd say its possible you cou could dig up a working cart if you knew where to dig and you had the right tools.

It was good enough for the bean counters at the time...if it wasn't, somebody would have faced charges of fraud.

A few points here:

NO - a company does not usually "document out the ass" of what is written off and thrown away.  Their only concern here is to satisfy the auditors.  I know for a fact that this is how it works...because I've done my share of trashing dead weight inventory for other companies that I've worked for.

NO - any product found at the site would not be in any salvageable condition (done in order to fulfill the above).  Forget about being able to use them in any way if the product was written off as excess/obsolete.

YES - everybody here knows the story and is already sick to death of it.

YES - this trip would be a wasted effort.  Go to the beach instead ;)

NO - a company does not usually "document out the ass" of what is written off and thrown away.

Not the company, but surely someone would have snapped a pic or two.

I know when NationsBank tossed old equipment that's exactly what they did, tossed it in the dumpster. I could understand there be no documentation of a couple people tossing 50 old dumb terminals in a dumpster, but you mean to tell me there'd be no documention, no paperwork of this? No bills to rent bulldozers? Or did Atari keep a couple bulldozers at the warehouse? No bill for cement? Someone just gave Atari enough cement to cover a million carts? I think there would be some physical evidence after a project like this. Sorry.

I rememeber when a video store was caught selling duped videos the lot was gathered up and crushed (by a bulldozer no less) and there was video of the entire process on the news in VA. Granted maybe this was hush hush, altho you'd think Atari would have wanted proof, maybe not tho. Obviously not since folks that worked there didn't ever hear about til after the fact.

Hopefully Spud will be able to provide the proof. Looking forward to seeing it, so this mystery can be cleared up once and for all, and E.T. can rest in pieces.

Here is a photo of whats left, not much in this pic. It's hard to see because it's a copy. There are some silver label boxes in there. The video I have of the photo is better. I'll get to it soon. I'm learning some new software for editing video and it's not going as quick as I'd like.

Albert can you pull these images off here or should I email them directly to you?

post-5427-1111491052_thumb.jpg

If these games were put into a town landfill, there certainly was no cement used in the process!  Cement would not be used in a landfill.  The article says nothing about cement.

Yeah, I always doubted the cement part. When you throw things away, you generally do it in the cheapest way possible. Atari just wanted to make sure the parts wouldn't be resold by scavengers, so they crushed them (probably drove a steamroller over them or something).

As far as the reissue of ET, this isn't that strange (especially for a complicated company like Atari). Someone gave the order to clean out a warehouse or two, and that's what someone did. Later, someone was putting in a manufacturing order for things they were out of, and ET made the list.

-Bry

So is someone going to appologize to Spud?

Not I, That pic dosen't cut it. what is it a picture of anyways? It looks like a coral reef or something. Was that taken under water? Maybe the other proof he has will convice a skeptic like me.

It's not April yet, is it?

Getting very close.

So is someone going to appologize to Spud?

Not I, That pic dosen't cut it. what is it a picture of anyways? It looks like a coral reef or something. Was that taken under water? Maybe the other proof he has will convice a skeptic like me.

There's more Atari stuff dumped in the ocean?!?! :o

maybe the trucks were just a decoy!

-Bry

Very cool newspaper scans and definitely helps add credence to this somewhat mythical story. How did you obtain scans of this issue? I have to imagine that the picture the paper printed turned out better than it appars in the scan. I'm looking forward to seeing the article that talks about the cement. :)

..Al