IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

I have these videos broken down to different files, all are still rather large, the largest, (Interview I did of the guy who knew some about it) is 227MB some of the others are like 100 or 150MB or so. The pit photo which is important is 75MB, I'll see what I can do with them zipped now, anyone have ideas how to get them on here?

You con get much better compresion than that with good codecs, no need to zip, PM me if you need advice on how to compress, or want me to do it for you.

Haydn

Spud, I know you've already had offers to host your files, but what the heck, I'll offer too. I can set you up with an FTP password so you can upload them directly. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Getting pretty close to April 1...

-S

It's a 75mb video of a photo in the newspaper. I'm making a little headway with this video editing software finally. Just had to watch the tutorial again and again. Maybe tonight if all goes well, I have to get some work out of the way before I get back to playing with the videos today.

Here is something for all ye who have doubts and think it's a April fools joke. I made a preview video and cut it up to fit on my 20mb of aol ftp space. I hope it works, it took almost 3 hours for me to upload, (28K dial up) hope you have a faster connection.

http://members.aol.com/spudboy2/atari

That should work, hopefully.

Bruce S.

Here is something for all ye who have doubts and think it's a April fools joke.  I made a preview video and cut it up to fit on my 20mb of aol ftp space. I hope it works, it took almost 3 hours for me to upload, (28K dial up) hope you have a faster connection.

http://members.aol.com/spudboy2/atari

That should work, hopefully.

Looks like you uploaded it as an HTML file. What file format is it supposed to be in? I changed it to AVI on my computer and that seems to work.

The Zapruder Film of AtariAge !

If this is an April Fool's joke or not, I still believe the story is true.

Nobody has ever explained to me in a convincing way why the story would be made up to begin with. Where would the joke be? Unless whoever invented the story would have thought that a bunch of video game geeks like us would be discussing it into the next century... then it's a pretty damn good joke I guess.

If it would be an April fools joke (which I doubt), then they soon would find some carts there. Most likely tomorrow. :)

Howard Scott Warshaw will climb out wearing an E.T. costume.

I hope it's not a hoax, but it would be very easy for someone to be skeptical. For example, he only has a 28k dial-up connection, but he has a color video camera? I wanted a color film camera since the 1970s and a color video camera since the mid 1980s and I still don't have either one, but I can afford a DSL connection. In a time when it seems a 56k modem comes in every box of cereal, it's just strange. I'm sure there is a simple explanation, but I can understand why people might look at this whole thread with their heads tilted sideways like a bunch of confused puppies.

I hope it's not a hoax, but it would be very easy for someone to be skeptical. For example, he only has a 28k dial-up connection, but he has a color video camera? I wanted a color film camera since the 1970s and a color video camera since the mid 1980s and I still don't have either one, but I can afford a DSL connection.

Sometimes it's not a case of being able to afford it. I have a whole pile of gadgets, but I only have dial-up at home because I live in very rural area where broadband just isn't available.

-S

If it would be an April fools joke (which I doubt), then they soon would find some carts there. Most likely tomorrow. :)

Howard Scott Warshaw will climb out wearing an E.T. costume.

I hope it's not a hoax, but it would be very easy for someone to be skeptical. For example, he only has a 28k dial-up connection, but he has a color video camera? I wanted a color film camera since the 1970s and a color video camera since the mid 1980s and I still don't have either one, but I can afford a DSL connection. In a time when it seems a 56k modem comes in every box of cereal, it's just strange. I'm sure there is a simple explanation, but I can understand why people might look at this whole thread with their heads tilted sideways like a bunch of confused puppies.

Not to mention it would have taken 20+ hours to upload at that speed. Not the 3 or 4 he mentioned. I have around 200 56K modems sitting in an empty classroom ready for recycling. We couldn't even sell them for the $1.00 each we were asking at one point. A 28K modem would be virtually unusable in this day and age.

Not to mention it would have taken 20+ hours to upload at that speed.  Not the 3 or 4 he mentioned.  I have around 200 56K modems sitting in an empty classroom ready for recycling.  We couldn't even sell them for the $1.00 each we were asking at one point.  A 28K modem would be virtually unusable in this day and age.

Again, if you live in a rural area it doesn't matter if you have a 56k or 28k modem. The fastest I can connect is bout 26k. I'm told this is due to the distance I am from the nearest switching station (or whatever it's called).

This is why I do about 90% of my web browsing at work on our dual T1.

-S

Not to mention it would have taken 20+ hours to upload at that speed.  Not the 3 or 4 he mentioned.  I have around 200 56K modems sitting in an empty classroom ready for recycling.  We couldn't even sell them for the $1.00 each we were asking at one point.  A 28K modem would be virtually unusable in this day and age.

Again, if you live in a rural area it doesn't matter if you have a 56k or 28k modem. The fastest I can connect is bout 26k. I'm told this is due to the distance I am from the nearest switching station (or whatever it's called).

This is why I do about 90% of my web browsing at work on our dual T1.

-S

:ponder:

The Dallas/Ft.Worth area isn't rural.

I live in the "Tulsa Area" which isn't rural either. Tulsa just happens to be the nearest major city to where I live. My only point is you guys are reading too much into the dialup internet. I know quite a few people who live in town who still use dialup. Broadband just isn't important to a lot of people.

I don't know if this thread is an April fools joke or not, but actual story about Atari dumping carts has always seemed real to me. Companies dump excess inventory all the time for a write off.

-S

Let me clarify, I really got to check what I send. I have a 56K modem, and I live in a suburb of Ft. Worth called Joshua, pop like 5000 or so, actually outside even their town limits out in the sticks where everyone has Get er Done wrote on the back of there pick-up and play the banjo.

But no one would know about it so I put Ft Worth/Dallas. I wish DSL was an option, I check with the phone company about every month to make sure some phone cable burying guys didn't get lost and accidentally come this way. Maybe someday. I guess one person could see the video

Anyone else, as for as the format, you mean like windows media player, that's one of the settings I picked?

Only about 10 hours left......

sometimes you have to use dileup if you live in a house with short term lease, or have a tough landlord, or live with parents/family. +i had a camcorder, when i didnt have broadband, and you can pick them up for under $150(8mm cheap kind) and borrow them for less.

Haydn

I guess one person could see the video

Anyone else, as for as the format, you mean like windows media player, that's one of the settings I picked?

I got sound, but no video. I downloaded a codec installer that seemed like it would fix the problem but it didn't.

-S